Worth upgrading Ryzen 3600 to 5800X?

Associate
I use my PC for gaming only and currently have a Ryzen 3600 based system. It is paired with a 3070 GPU and I game at 1440p (usually just stick to 60hz but my monitor does support 75hz).

As a potential Christmas present to myself I've considered upgrading the CPU, but is it actually worth it? Will I see much improvement over what I have? I assume it would raise the frame rate minimums, but would it be by much?

I don't really plan on a wider upgrade for some time, so I'm not looking at a wholesale change (e.g. Intel), but is there any reasonable bang for my buck I would see?

Soldato
Okay, interesting. I don't really know much about the underlying tech of CPUs, so what benefits would 3d cache bring?

They are on about upto 15% boost in Gaming and something on par with a generational shift in performance over the current ones.

But will have to wait to see in Q1 2022, of course their claims probably have many caveats and i dont think it is known yet how many of the CPU`s models will be releaed.

Probably worth the wait though, you know what its like with PC`s. As soon as something new is out then the older CPU`s age over night all of a sudden.

Associate
Okay, interesting. I don't really know much about the underlying tech of CPUs, so what benefits would 3d cache bring?

Raptorium mining. Always a new crypto currency idiocy that works better on some specific part of a PC.

In some instances the cpu cache is a bottleneck and increasing it can show large gains in performance whilst in other situations clock speed is the bottleneck so having extra cache will make no difference. 3600 is a decent chip , wait a few months until you see some independent benchmarks and then decide if an upgrade is worthwhile.

Man of Honour
They won’t. Their new 3D cache CPUs will be the new AM5 socket.
Debut on AM4 first but not sure if that means released.

Shortly after 8 minutes into the video, the conversation turns to 3D V-Cache, as firstunveiled at Computex this year. The technology, which will deliver an average 15 per cent performance boost to games (at the same clock speeds as previous CPUs), will debut on "a Ryzen product in early 2022, that goes into Socket AM4"

https://m.hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/148502-amd-will-release-zen-3-am4-cpu-3d-v-cache-q1-22/

Associate
Thread hijack - same question please but my move is from a Ryzen 5 1600 AM4 3.6 Ghz on a Giagbyte AB350 motherboard?
I cant get to 5000 series chips, I can only get to a 3600X, 3700, 3800

Think my board has updated Bios to take those CPUs. If not can do so
Ta

Last edited:
Associate
Thread hijack - same question please but my move is from a Ryzen 5 1600 AM4 3.6 Ghz on a Giagbyte AB350 motherboard?
I cant get to 5000 series chips, I can only get to a 3600X, 3700, 3800

Think my board has updated Bios to take those CPUs. If not can do so
Ta

Maybe if you add heatsinks to the VRMs, that board has poor VRMs though. I wouldn't bother, I'd just get a new board and chip when funds permit. It'd work, I just wouldn't do it myself.

Back
Top Bottom