1997 Clio MOT Costs

Soldato
I'm interested in buying an old 1997 Renault Clio for cheap but only problem is it needs a lot of welding for the MOT. How much would this lot cost to do at an average garage to get it through it's MOT?

Do not drive until repaired (dangerous defects):
  • Offside Rear Service brake has no recorded effort at a wheel (1.2.1 (a) (ii))
Repair immediately (major defects):
  • Nearside Front Brake hose excessively deteriorated (1.1.12 (b) (ii))
  • Offside Front Brake hose excessively deteriorated (1.1.12 (b) (ii))
  • Emissions not tested (8.2.1.2 (d))
  • Nearside Inner Vehicle structure corroded to the extent that the rigidity of the assembly is significantly reduced front to rear sill (6.1.1 (c) (i))
  • Offside Front Inner Vehicle structure corroded to the extent that the rigidity of the assembly is significantly reduced sill (6.1.1 (c) (i))
  • Nearside Rear Outer Vehicle structure corroded to the extent that the rigidity of the assembly is significantly reduced sill (6.1.1 (c) (i))
  • Offside Rear Vehicle structure corroded to the extent that the rigidity of the assembly is significantly reduced (6.1.1 (c) (i))
  • Rear Brakes imbalanced across an axle Axle 2 (1.2.1 (b) (i))
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
  • Advise both front brakes binding on

Soldato
It's impossible to tell. It could be 4 50p sized holes that need little patches or it may need complete sills and floor panels.

If it's not significantly bad then a few hundred quid should cover welding up a few patch panels.

It's the sort of car you want to be buying if you're able to do the repairs yourself, not to pay to have it repaired. Even then, there's got to be much better deals out there. Assuming the car is £50, you'd be better off spending £400 on a car with an mot and you'd still be better off than having paid to repair the clio.

Soldato
Unless 'cheap' means 'someone is paying me to take their car away' I can't see why you'd bother for an old Clio.

Soldato
Run away from that.

That'll cost about two or three times whatever it's worth to put right, at a wild guess, and you'll still have a tatty and tired 1997 Clio after putting all that money into it.

Soldato
How easy is it to get the condition of the sills evaluated to see if rust might be extensive or not -
for espresso machine boiler descaling a boroscope would be useful to see inside - which maybe pro's have for sills .?
or,you just have to grind/cut off metal from the oustide until you hit sound metal

Man of Honour
With wording like "rigidity of the assembly is significantly reduced" bets would be that is well into the 100s to get it past the MOT on that aspect alone and well into the 100s again to make it last more than a few months.

Before you even get to the brakes which probably need a major rebuild.

Caporegime
As has likely been said above, although I haven't checked, repairs for all that will likely be more than the cost of the car itself. AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE. The welding alone would likely be a grand or close to it. As also said above, that car is ready to be scrapped and likely should have been at the last MOT. The car is riddled with rust and even if welded to pass the MOT would fold like a tin can in the event of even a minor accident. Not a chance in hell I'd be buying that.

Caporegime
The thing about welding is it it rather cheap in itself. You pay for the steel/undercoat and that's it. £100 tops

The labour is the ballache. If it is something you are confident in doing yourself then go for it. Otherwise it is just scrap. I had a friend who would buy scrap MX5's for £500 then weld in new sills and sell them on for 2 grand.

If you have to pay a garage to do it unless it has sentimental value then it is ready for scrap.

Back
Top Bottom