Poll: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2021, Yas Island - Race 22

Rate the 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix out of ten. If you want. I can’t be arsed.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I thought he got a tow on Q2 as well?
Q2 is completely irrelevant, they just do enough to get through, Q3 is the only session they both ran softs flat out. Max blew everyone away with his 'tow' lap and then did another nearly as quick without the tow.

I don't see any merit in the idea Lewis should simply be trying to match strategy.

I don't think Max wanted to be starting on the soft tyre, I think they'd have wanted Max on mediums but Perez on softs to make a nuisance of himself.

If he can stay relatively in touch, the mediums could really play into Lewis' favour, especially if they do more like an extra 9 or 10 laps. Max could see himself forced to pit into traffic.

Soldato
Race is going to be decided by an accident, and I mean an accident, probably caused by a mid-fielder, resulting in a safety car and/or red flag event that changes strat for everyone. I hope Max gets a clean get away from the start and blasts of into the distance a couple of seconds in the first few laps just to ensure that we can all enjoy a nice race, with real over taking and rivalry.

Soldato
Anyone think Lewis was playing the long game in qualifying 3 especially after max put the softs on for q2 ? Say he got pole and then they both collided into turn 1 on lap 1 after max got a better start on the softs, it’s likely it would go down as a lap 1 incident, no Lewis can bide his time(hopefully) and overtake at a better place, if he’s taken out overtaking on a straight it’s more likely max would get a proper penalty. Just my thoughts anyway.

Man of Honour
Race is going to be decided by an accident, and I mean an accident, probably caused by a mid-fielder, resulting in a safety car and/or red flag event that changes strat for everyone. I hope Max gets a clean get away from the start and blasts of into the distance a couple of seconds in the first few laps just to ensure that we can all enjoy a nice race, with real over taking and rivalry.

In the F2 races its clear that the track changes have made a safety car more likely; more places for cars to get stuck in a sea of tarmac if there is contact

Soldato
I don't know, he was plodding around on Friday with them setting good times. In fact he was about 0.6 faster than everyone else I believe.
Very much doubtful he had a full fuel load on Friday and that was with a different rear wing, they set the car up to make sure they got P1 in qualifying again

Soldato
In the F2 races its clear that the track changes have made a safety car more likely; more places for cars to get stuck in a sea of tarmac if there is contact
Yeah there will be a safety car every time someone stops. Armstrong stopped in an innocuous place in the 2nd f2 race and I think they still had a safety car.
So maybe that's the RB strategy. There's far less likely to be a red flag here. Although if someone gets stuck on the track there may well be.

Man of Honour
It’ll be interesting towards the end of the race, because if Hamilton is in P2 and close behind Max he then has nothing to lose but to take a dive.

Red Bull did seem very happy with the pace/longevity of the softs on Friday

Maybe, but it won’t equal the mediums, especially on heavy fuel and with a pushing Hamilton behind as they wear. It still gives Hamilton the advantage when they both takes hards. Big DRS zones here too.

Soldato
It’ll be interesting towards the end of the race, because if Hamilton is in P2 and close behind Max he then has nothing to lose but to take a dive.

I never actually considered that, but you are correct, if he is losing but has a chance to win with a lap or two to go then even if he wipes them both out he loses nothing as he would have lost anyhow.

Caporegime
Q2 is completely irrelevant, they just do enough to get through, Q3 is the only session they both ran softs flat out. Max blew everyone away with his 'tow' lap and then did another nearly as quick without the tow.

I don't see any merit in the idea Lewis should simply be trying to match strategy.

I don't think Max wanted to be starting on the soft tyre, I think they'd have wanted Max on mediums but Perez on softs to make a nuisance of himself.

If he can stay relatively in touch, the mediums could really play into Lewis' favour, especially if they do more like an extra 9 or 10 laps. Max could see himself forced to pit into traffic.

And who is to say Lewis wouldn't have gone faster if he did another run on softs?

Man of Honour
I never actually considered that, but you are correct, if he is losing but has a chance to win with a lap or two to go then even if he wipes them both out he loses nothing as he would have lost anyhow.

I think a lot of people have overlooked it. The rules of engagement change as the race goes on. It’s fascinating.

And who is to say Lewis wouldn't have gone faster if he did another run on softs?

The merc has been poor on the softer compounds all year.

Dup

Dup

Soldato

I doubt it. He's too concerned about his image, especially as an older driver who wants to move onto other things, Max isn't.

Titles that go down to the wire like this usually end up problem ridden for the contenders (like Lewis first WDC). So my money is on Lando for Sunday, chuffed with his quali today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom