This Business and Moment...

Soldato
Haha, sounds very familiar.

I've recently started a new role (three months in) with a couple of guys reporting to me. One of them was pretty awful to work with. Constant chasing up on work which I had to do in the end, really felt like I was gonna have to micro-manage him. Then he handed in his notice and expected a counter offer lol! Frigging no chance.

Don't feel too hard on yourself. At the end of the day he was probably / would have been eating into your time.
Yeah I know that feeling, constant checking up and correcting his mistakes and repeating the same instructions over and over, including relinking to documentation is taking its toll. The guy is nice enough personally but needs an even more junior job really with micromanagement.

Permabanned
Yeah I know that feeling, constant checking up and correcting his mistakes and repeating the same instructions over and over, including relinking to documentation is taking its toll. The guy is nice enough personally but needs an even more junior job really with micromanagement.

Yep, know this all too well. Don't feel too hard on yourself. He's being paid for a reason :)

Soldato
I do absolutely agree with that too. We did it out of need, but now there is less need for it. So the kids don't have to do half the stuff because it's not as valuable. We are essentially tech boomers :p

Also agree, but I do think we have a more windmilly attitude to things, because of our background. Yes the resources are available, but I have found the younger generation not as keen to dive headfirst in. It might just be my experience and I'd be happy to have others have other experiences. I happily look up plumbing stuff (genuinely have done and fixed some things here), or how to refurbish a piano and jump right in and do it.

I know a good few young people who are brilliant at everything they do. I'll never see people like that in my work place because its not the kinda place or work they would be interested in.

Soldato
My work have just changed my pay structure quite significantly. I was bonus'ed, but they have now removed the bonus and instead adding the 100% potential bonus onto my salary. This seems like incredibly good news, and I can't see any downsides. Is there any?

I was never able to over achieve on the bonus (as in, once you hit 100% of target you couldn't earn anymore), and some quarters I wasn't able to hit it (due to circumstances outwith my control) so this seems like a good shift.

Caporegime
Had to give feedback on one of the junior members of our team that means that he will lose his job. Feeling gutted for the guy as he is about to sign a mortgage and close to the end of his extended probation. But he's useless at the role and makes us look like clowns to customers, doesn't listen to instruction and seems unable to understand the role. Him going directly increases my work load and that of my team but just couldn't give positive feedback or honestly say he was improving. Never had to do this before and understand it's a business decision but so close to Christmas is horrible.

Not much you can do, so long as you've done your best to help out/train them up initially then there was perhaps either a problem with your company's interview process or perhaps the guy has some bad work ethic or other issues going on in his life.

Either way, not your fault so long as you did your bit right, you're not running a charity, people are hired on a probationary period in most jobs and if he's had his probationary period extended already then it shouldn't be a surprise for him either.

I mean at the point where he was told he's not passed his probation what did he do? Was he given specifics re: what he needed to address, targets to meet etc..? Not passing your (say 6 months) probation and having it extended (for say an additional 3 months or 6 months) is kinda like being put on a PIP, the person it happens to knows they're in danger/not performing and if they want the job badly enough then that, in itself, should stick a rocket up their arse and knock any laziness/bad work ethic on the head.

Beyond that there isn't much that can be done - you can't carry dead wood, the company has to get rid eventually + perhaps should look into how that individual ended up being hired in the first place.

Soldato
OP
My work have just changed my pay structure quite significantly. I was bonus'ed, but they have now removed the bonus and instead adding the 100% potential bonus onto my salary. This seems like incredibly good news, and I can't see any downsides. Is there any?
Depends on where it puts you bracket wise and what the bonus amount is, which would depend on where it hits you tax wise as a bonus vs. monthly take home.

Soldato
I mean at the point where he was told he's not passed his probation what did he do? Was he given specifics re: what he needed to address, targets to meet etc..? Not passing your (say 6 months) probation and having it extended (for say an additional 3 months or 6 months) is kinda like being put on a PIP, the person it happens to knows they're in danger/not performing and if they want the job badly enough then that, in itself, should stick a rocket up their arse and knock any laziness/bad work ethic on the head.
For sure. At my place, this is one of the very few times you get a physical letter through the post, to boot.

Soldato
Handed my notice in recently....can't make my mind up what to do next. Got several offers on the table. Kinda leaning towards the remote working option, got quite used to it now and I really like not having to commute. On the other hand, social side of being in an office can be good.

Partly leaning towards the remote option to get established working that way so in a few years I'm in a position to move somewhere properly remote and just keep working as before.

Soldato
Handed my notice in recently....can't make my mind up what to do next. Got several offers on the table. Kinda leaning towards the remote working option, got quite used to it now and I really like not having to commute. On the other hand, social side of being in an office can be good.

Partly leaning towards the remote option to get established working that way so in a few years I'm in a position to move somewhere properly remote and just keep working as before.

I know what you mean. I think I'd struggle to work full time at home. I like talking to people at work, I like the downtime it gives you. When I need to knuckle down I just don't engage, but most of the time I like a chat. In lockdown, I was quite happy working from home but I think I became very insular. With your existing company, I think working from home could be a lot easier because you have people you know to chat to, but joining a new company and immediately being remote, I feel like you'd really struggle to form relationships.

I'm weighing up the same thing at the moment, although for a job I don't yet have the offer for.

Soldato

I've worked remotely now since March 2020 and absolutely love it. I guess it depends on your social life is outside of work. If you live alone then i imagine the social side of work is important.

Covid is probably the best thing that's happened to me in the last 15 years to facilitate this. My general happiness levels are much higher.

Soldato
Depends on where it puts you bracket wise and what the bonus amount is, which would depend on where it hits you tax wise as a bonus vs. monthly take home.

Still under 41% bracket so makes no difference there. I’m paying back my student loan, which means I should have more take home as I won’t lose a huge wedge from the bonus but then I will pay more interest.

Soldato
I've worked remotely now since March 2020 and absolutely love it. I guess it depends on your social life is outside of work. If you live alone then i imagine the social side of work is important.

Covid is probably the best thing that's happened to me in the last 15 years to facilitate this. My general happiness levels are much higher.

I don't live alone....it would have been nice to be working in an office the last couple of years as I'd just moved to a new area and didn't know anyone, so lockdown sucked...but I've got a decent network of people now, so the social side is less of a big deal.

Being able to turn my computer off at 4pm and get outside in the summer is a major plus. Also I replaced my car with a campervan that guzzles petrol so any commute is going to financially cripple me :D

Definitely leaning towards the remote work. As an added plus I'm going to pay off my student loan just as I finish the current job so extra payrise!

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, that's where i find the biggest benefits, along with being able to run/go gym in my lunch hour. Means i take a proper break in the day rather than wasting it sat at my desk with a sandwich.

I also find i'm more willing to work a little later, as i can go and stick something in the oven for tea at 5pm and then carry on working for 30 mins or so without it impacting my schedule. Whereas being office based, that extra 30 minutes working, then a 30 minute commute means it's 6pm when i get home. Then you start making tea and it's 7pm when you're eating and then i don't want to run because you're still full from tea and don't want to run too late as there's then no time to wind down before bed.

Remote work is massively the future, and as you say it allows you to live anywhere. I know you've not long moved, but just imagine being able to live right near Snowdonia or somewhere :D

Soldato
Having said that, in the interview they mentioned working across different time zones (primarily Canada and India).

I have worked shifts and it really does a number on you. But another job meant working with Americans and we just scheduled calls for their morning and my afternoon. Separately I had to deal with colleagues in Saudi and again, managing the time difference wasn't a problem. You just have to be firm.

Soldato
I have worked shifts and it really does a number on you. But another job meant working with Americans and we just scheduled calls for their morning and my afternoon. Separately I had to deal with colleagues in Saudi and again, managing the time difference wasn't a problem. You just have to be firm.

Same here, there's a decent 2-5pm window that corresponds with the US 9-12am and we just schedule things in around that time. There's occasionally the odd one that goes a little later but it's rare and i think everyone is aware of the time difference so works to that timeframe.

Soldato
Remote work is massively the future, and as you say it allows you to live anywhere. I know you've not long moved, but just imagine being able to live right near Snowdonia or somewhere :D

The other half keeps showing me properties in Snowdonia....personally I'd prefer the Western Isles, but it's properly remote up there!

Soldato

Better if you can go 50/50.

I enjoy working in the office but I can easily go to the gym during my lunch when working from home. When I finish work, I power off my laptop and straight to do something else, instead of dealing with the commute trying to get home in rush hour.

One of the highlights from Covid as remote working is written into my new contract.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I would hate to be back in the office full time again. It just suits my logistics way better. I am alone at home every other week, but I am just making sure that I arrange things with mates, which is much more fun than interacting with work people anyway haha
One of the highlights from Covid as remote working is written into my new contract.
100% this. I'm seeing waaaaay more on this as well for roles I'm being approached about. Spoke to 2 people this morning. One company is Singaporean but role is remote. One is Kenyan, but the role is remote. Both asked if I could potentially travel a couple of weeks a year to site? Yea, sure I can work with that. Never would have been this flexible pre covid at all.

Back
Top Bottom