• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The Official Alder Lake owners thread ***

DDR5 6000Mhz and above is already faster than DDR4, as well as using less power and having on die ECC. Literally nothing better about DDR4 technology wise.

Only bad thing about DDR5 now is stock - though it's not impossible to get (I've obtained two kits already).

The price is ridiculous for DDR5. I’ll wait for all you early adapters to pay silly money before I move over. Also not having to buy new EAM made my update so much cheaper !

Soldato
The price is ridiculous for DDR5. I’ll wait for all you early adapters to pay silly money before I move over

Agree, availability is a concern but it is the price that is ridiculous. For those who remember the previous changes from one std to another it has always been something similar for early adopters.

Even tho Intel might well support the 690 chipset and socket 1700 for their next release there are no guarantees that these first generation motherboards will support whatever they release.
There are no guarantees that I'm aware of of them doing that, staying with this socket and chipset.
This is Intel here.
For me a cheapish, relative, 690 board with my already bought DDR4 and a 12700k for my use just ticked my boxes. My wallet thanked me.

Soldato
Similar for me. My 12700k and MSI 690 Pro cost £577. But the MSI Pro was RMA'd due to a fault with them. So I bought a Gigabyte board instead, not the cheapest, and that added just under £40 to the overall cost making it £616.

Man of Honour
OP
But we've all seen those reviews and even you've pointed out that the difference is minor. The ADL CPU itself will maintain a much improved minimum fps anyway as evidenced by all of our findings who did the upgrade and why these are so good in games and seem to rank in the top when games are compared too. My own benchmarks in games and productivity match up with what the average DDR5 system is showing and where it does not, it isn't that far behind, and I only have 64GB of 3600MHz in Gear 1.

I will go DDR5, but only when it's at DDR4 prices probably in 12-24 months time. Before then there's zero point in the extra outlay. Wasting money because you will only be selling the slow DDR5 on and a loss only to buy the cheaper and lower latency stuff a while later.

Soldato
But we've all seen those reviews and even you've pointed out that the difference is minor. The ADL CPU itself will maintain a much improved minimum fps anyway as evidenced by all of our findings who did the upgrade and why these are so good in games and seem to rank in the top when games are compared too. My own benchmarks in games and productivity match up with what the average DDR5 system is showing and where it does not, it isn't that far behind, and I only have 64GB of 3600MHz in Gear 1.

I will go DDR5, but only when it's at DDR4 prices probably in 12-24 months time. Before then there's zero point in the extra outlay. Wasting money because you will only be selling the slow DDR5 on and a loss only to buy the cheaper and lower latency stuff a while later.

I agree the difference is small - though this is an enthusiast forum, so there'll always be those seeking the absolute best performance. DDR5 is the absolute best for gaming, as long as you get a kit that can do 6000Mhz+. Is it worth it for the majority? No, though the cutting edge in technology has never been the best performance per $ available, this generation is no different.

Also - if you're willing to lose performance using DDR4 vs DDR5 (remember those reviews are using 4000Mhz DDR4, which not many have, 3200Mhz 3600Mhz is slower again) then why get the 12th gen Alder Lake, when Ryzen 5000 series is cheaper, and just a few % behind? Or the 11th gen i5's, i7's, which are also just a few % behind.

Additionally, this generation throws a spanner in the works, by supporting Rocket Lake as a drop in upgrade on Z690. Knowing this in advance, many have chosen to get a motherboard that supports DDR5 from the off. DDR5 boards will hold their value far more over DDR4 boards down the line. A £250 Z690 DDR4 board will not be worth much when DDR5 is cheap. More importantly though - who wants to swap out a motherboard to upgrade to DDR5? Far easier to get a DDR5 board from the off if it's in one's budget.

Soldato

There will be no point in changing to DDR5 if you are on a DDR4 board right now since support for the version of the socket will end with Raptor Lake, and that will be a small upgrade, if you did upgrade it would need to be a full platform again to make it worth while. You made the right choice going for DDR4 this time around, especially as a platform early adopter.

As for selling DDR5 at a loss, Dave tried to scalp the lovely OCUK MM users with his £100 kit of Crucial RAM selling it for £180... classy guy. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Hopefully should be joining the Alder Lake Country Club later on this week, just ordered a 12700K, Z690 mobo, AIO and a PSU from OCUK.

Had to get my DDR4 8x4 from another site as OCUK don't stock them.

My old PSU (14 year old 850W Cooler Master) is still doing great, I just bought a 3080 Ti and it had no problem pushing out up to 400W (!) for the GPU alone!

I've since undervolted it, so only needs around 235W now. :)

Unfortunately it doesn't come with the 2x8 CPU cables, just 1, but hey, it'll do as a spare if needs be.

Soldato
Nice upgrades Kelt! I'm sure you'll be impressed with Alderlake, especially when overclocked, it's been a huge upgrade for me going from my 8700k and 1080ti, to this 12600kf @5.2 and the Toxic 6900xt.
What board did you go with?

Soldato
Nice upgrades Kelt! I'm sure you'll be impressed with Alderlake, especially when overclocked, it's been a huge upgrade for me going from my 8700k and 1080ti, to this 12600kf @5.2 and the Toxic 6900xt.
What board did you go with?

Thanks, hope so!

I went with the MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4, gets good write ups.

Has loads of rear USB ports which I need, including the analogue audio ports I need for my 5.1 speakers.

Was going to go for a Gigabyte Gaming X but for reasons only known to themselves, they decided to cut the audio ports on the DDR4 boards, while keeping them for their DDR5 boards.

Oh well, lost sale for them.

Soldato
Cashback approved :D
cashback.jpg

Nice :) ASUS deliver for Christmas!

Soldato
Just had one of my two £25 ASUS cashback payments for posting a review (did one for motherboard, one for AIO). Bank app shows £25 credit from "Benamic Limited Company" - sounds well dodgy!

No sign of my £100 cashback for the Z690/12900k promotion yet.

I agree the difference is small - though this is an enthusiast forum, so there'll always be those seeking the absolute best performance. DDR5 is the absolute best for gaming, as long as you get a kit that can do 6000Mhz+. Is it worth it for the majority? No, though the cutting edge in technology has never been the best performance per $ available, this generation is no different.

Also - if you're willing to lose performance using DDR4 vs DDR5 (remember those reviews are using 4000Mhz DDR4, which not many have, 3200Mhz 3600Mhz is slower again) then why get the 12th gen Alder Lake, when Ryzen 5000 series is cheaper, and just a few % behind? Or the 11th gen i5's, i7's, which are also just a few % behind.

Additionally, this generation throws a spanner in the works, by supporting Rocket Lake as a drop in upgrade on Z690. Knowing this in advance, many have chosen to get a motherboard that supports DDR5 from the off. DDR5 boards will hold their value far more over DDR4 boards down the line. A £250 Z690 DDR4 board will not be worth much when DDR5 is cheap. More importantly though - who wants to swap out a motherboard to upgrade to DDR5? Far easier to get a DDR5 board from the off if it's in one's budget.

I doubt first gen boards will hold there value any better than DDR4 boards. They will be outdated.

Also not all games gain any advantage with DDR5.

With the cost of DDR5 you could go DDR4 system now then when things move forward just buy a new system once the memory has matured and the price is sensible.

Soldato
I doubt first gen boards will hold there value any better than DDR4 boards. They will be outdated.

Also not all games gain any advantage with DDR5.

With the cost of DDR5 you could go DDR4 system now then when things move forward just buy a new system once the memory has matured and the price is sensible.

If going DDR4, why not also save lots of money by going for 10th, 11th gen from Intel, or even better the Ryzen 5000 series? They're all within a few % in games. IMO at least, silly matching new with old.

Soldato
Silly? give over, what's silly is paying £400 for ram that gives marginal gains over DDR4 and will be made to look pedestrian when we get faster kits at a fraction of the price next year. There is no benefit going ddr5 over ddr4 currently so why should people not choose an alder lake build over slower ryzen and rocket Lake builds? Because it's dirty to mix ddr4 with alder Lake lol.

Back
Top Bottom