• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The Official Alder Lake owners thread ***

Associate
If going DDR4, why not also save lots of money by going for 10th, 11th gen from Intel, or even better the Ryzen 5000 series? They're all within a few % in games. IMO at least, silly matching new with old.

Probably because they wanted the latest 12th gen from Intel, after all it is an enthusiast forum.

Soldato
Probably because they wanted the latest 12th gen from Intel, after all it is an enthusiast forum.

Latest and greatest 12th gen, with DDR4 from 2014.... :D

Nothing wrong with that, though silly to claim the "enthusiast latest and greatest" card when not using the new platform to it's full potential. Also, the best overclocking boards are only DDR5.

Soldato
Dave2150, let's not pretend that DDR5 is an absolute game changer at this point in time for most tasks people will be using these CPUs for.
Maybe next year...

Alderlake with DDR4 still a great combination, and I'm surprised you of all people would say otherwise.

Soldato
Dave2150, let's not pretend that DDR5 is an absolute game changer at this point in time for most tasks people will be using these CPUs for.
Maybe next year...

Alderlake with DDR4 still a great combination, and I'm surprised you of all people would say otherwise.
It's really the ability to use the cheaper DDR4 that gives ADL a competitive edge in pricing against the competition and may again come into play for raptorlake against Zen 4.

Soldato
Nice upgrades Kelt! I'm sure you'll be impressed with Alderlake, especially when overclocked, it's been a huge upgrade for me going from my 8700k and 1080ti, to this 12600kf @5.2 and the Toxic 6900xt.
What board did you go with?

I've noticed higher minimums with my new setup along better than my 9700k loving this setup so far riser cables have been really disappointing though for me with this motherboard but she's a flyer .

Soldato
At this moment DDR5 reminds me of the differences between M2 NVME Gen 3 and 4. On paper, and with some benchmarks, you will note potential differences.
Those do not translate too well in many peoples day to day use. An exception for the M2 Gen 4 drives could be in transfers from and to a similar drive.
For those who insist on being early adopters great, but DDR4 is not "old" but established and great performing tech that is affordable, just like Gen 3 drives.
The exception for the drives could be in console use. Other than that just wait it out and enjoy some, relatively, affordable tech. Don't get much of that these day.

zia

zia

Associate
Almost been a month since i bought these , still in thier boxs
51761141743_24b8d9c8b1_k.jpg

Zia

Soldato
At this moment DDR5 reminds me of the differences between M2 NVME Gen 3 and 4. On paper, and with some benchmarks, you will note potential differences.
Those do not translate too well in many peoples day to day use. An exception for the M2 Gen 4 drives could be in transfers from and to a similar drive.
For those who insist on being early adopters great, but DDR4 is not "old" but established and great performing tech that is affordable, just like Gen 3 drives.
The exception for the drives could be in console use. Other than that just wait it out and enjoy some, relatively, affordable tech. Don't get much of that these day.

Benchmarks already show higher minimum FPS when comparing 6000Mhz + DDR5 with very fast DDR4 (4000Mhz+). Bear in mind most buy the cheaper 3200Mhz, 3600Mhz DDR4 kits, and the difference is even greater. We're talking 5-10% difference in minimum FPS comparing average DDR4 to fast DDR5, though of course it's much more expensive.

DDR4 is a very good option to save money - though if this is the aim, Ryzen 5000, 10th and 11th gen Intel CPU's also offer much better performance per £.

Soldato
Maybe next year...

I haven't described DDR5 as a game changer, it's not. It's the fastest RAM available though. Just as the 12900k is the fastest gaming CPU. Does it make financial sense to the majority? Nope, the flagship CPU/GPU/RAM never have, they've always been atrocious from performance per £. It's just silly when you see people claim DDR4 is just as fast - it's clearly not, the fast 6000Mhz DDR5 kits superior, even if it's only a few % difference.

Soldato
This makes me excited for you! :) enjoy building!

Thanks.

I actually ordered a 3080 Ti prebuilt system a few weeks ago but cancelled it due to no DDR5 being available (even though they said it has been allocated).

Glad I did now, having got hold of an FE GPU the other day.

I get to have the stuff I actually wanted, and the fun of building it!
Worked out a few hundred cheaper as well.

Back
Top Bottom