Police. Can I kick them out my owned home?

Soldato
There are specific circumstances under which police officers may enter a home without a warrant. These include situations where they wish to:

• Rearrest an individual who has absconded from custody
  • Save a life or prevent the destruction of property
  • Arrest an individual accused of certain serious offences
  • Respond to a serious breach of the peace
  • Uncover evidence after an individual has been arrested (they may do this as long as they have reasonable grounds to believe they will find the evidence in question.)
They can also enter a home without a search warrant if they intend to take an individual into custody and have the applicable arrest warrant. However, if you believe the police have searched your home unjustly, you may have cause for actions against the police case.

Unfortunately, arresting bad guys isn't a quiet activity. What next? Asking firemen to turn off their pesky noisy fire trucks when putting out a fire in next doors house because it's keeping you awake?

Caporegime
Rearrest an individual who has absconded from custody
yea I doubt it's that simple.

how do they know he's in the house? does he have to be the primary tenant ? what if he's at a friends surely they need a warrant

also if it's a lodger I'd imagine only his room is allowed to be searched like with juveniles (unless that changed)

I got arrested as a teenager a few times, always struck me as odd they could only search my bedroom but I could have had whatever they wanted virtually anywhere in the house

one time I was in the middle of a haircut from my mum and they had to sit and watch for like 15mins lol....... good times

had a few cops tell lies though and not the whole truth, also some seem to get sick enjoyment out of getting you into trouble with your parents.

custody sergeant, do your parents know you smoke? cos we can take the cigarettes... (90s)
ME, No, take them thanks...

dad comes to bail me out, the guy gives them me with the biggest grin on his face what a ****

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm the landlord. I rent out rooms in my home.

5am loud knocking. Police announce at door. Partner panics thinks someone's hurt, rushes to answer door. They ask for tenant. She says yes he's here come in. They then arrest him.

All fine, however one thing the annoyed me was that they were OK down stairs, but at one point came up and made full day time volume noise with no care we were trying to sleep.
My dude has ice running through his veins :cry:

CRIMINAL IN HOUSE, SO WHAT, BACK TO SLEEP :ice ice baby:

Soldato
Police asked if he was there and OP's wife said yes.

I suppose it comes down to intelligence ie PNC check says that is his address or get that info from a witness or interview. Or down to reasonable grounds to believe ie someone saw someone matching bad guys description go into the property.

Hope you're on a better path now!

Soldato
What was your tenant arrested for? Anything to do with theft?

Genuinely curious due to the many hours I spent back and forth with Royal Mail trying to resolve the missing £200 ram kit I sent to you back in September.

Maybe they've been arrested for theft... That was all very very strange.

But main concerns are :

Does the mortgage and insurance companies know you have tenants staying at your property? (i'll bet my mortgage - no)
Police arrest someone living under your roof with your family in potential danger of being in close proximity to a criminal and your concerned about the noise and the time of day they do it?

Just bizarre....

Caporegime
Police arrest someone living under your roof with your family in potential danger of being in close proximity to a criminal and your concerned about the noise and the time of day they do it?
the OP will have heard what he was arrested for so since he's not complaining about that we can only presume it's a minor offence

maybe he insulted someone on twitter

Associate
Maybe they've been arrested for theft... That was all very very strange.

But main concerns are :

Does the mortgage and insurance companies know you have tenants staying at your property? (i'll bet my mortgage - no)

Just bizarre....

For them to come out at 5am he aint been nicking someone's packed lunch from work either

Caporegime
Jesus christ this forum has become mumsnet with the random narrative creating about mortgage providers and insurance companies.

@Apex I've been a landlord to lodgers not had the police at my adress but delt with it with lodgers in others homes. Not legal advice and not 100% sure this is correct.

But if you speak woth the police they will qs fortbe lodger you can ask lodgers come down if they refuse, odds are you could maybe argue with the police about warrants but they will Lilley sit outside and you're best off rid. So let them up.

From the sounds of this situation your lodger went down then wanted to go get something coat shoes etc, and the police followed them up to keep an eye on them. You could likely argue this with the in the hallway (obviously not if you just went back to bed) but expect the officer to say its for your safety.

All in all its a bit of common sense officers will want to watch while suspect does random out of sight request as a landlord you probably want that too. Best bet sit in the kitchen ask the officer if they want a tea and try to talk out any useful info, hand your lodger thier two weeks notice then and there and prepare to remove thier abandoned crap

Back
Top Bottom