Police. Can I kick them out my owned home?

Weird question, but had a situation a few months back and curious of the answer to this.

A brief explanation.

I'm the landlord. I rent out rooms in my home.

5am loud knocking. Police announce at door. Partner panics thinks someone's hurt, rushes to answer door. They ask for tenant. She says yes he's here come in. They then arrest him.

All fine, however one thing the annoyed me was that they were OK down stairs, but at one point came up and made full day time volume noise with no care we were trying to sleep.

Now I understand you can refuse entry to police if they have no reason to come in and no warrant, but what if they are allowed into the entrance, assuming its because maybe someone is hurt, then they say they are here to arrest and cause a problem that I wanted them out?

Can I force them to leave?

I wouldn't have, but curious to know what I could have done in that situation.

Soldato
OP
police always act like they have the power and authority to do things they actually don't, they are experts at manipulating gullible members of the public such as your partner.

the more people like her the more they get away with it, so many police have attitude problems and think they are above the law.

Look at Sarah Everard as a perfect example of why your post is correct. The police, knowing that if we refused they couldn't come in, dealt with it in such a way that you feel rushed and half asleep so don't think but just let them in.

What was your tenant arrested for? Anything to do with theft?

Genuinely curious due to the many hours I spent back and forth with Royal Mail trying to resolve the missing £200 ram kit I sent to you back in September.

Nope. Also kind of hard given he works 10am to 10pm, and the postie signed for the parcel himself at something like midday iirc.

Does the mortgage and insurance companies know you have tenants staying at your property? (i'll bet my mortgage - no)

You owe me a house

the OP will have heard what he was arrested for so since he's not complaining about that we can only presume it's a minor offence

maybe he insulted someone on twitter

Of course. This whole "criminal" in your house that's going to rape us story is very clever.

Jesus christ this forum has become mumsnet with the random narrative creating about mortgage providers and insurance companies

Indeed.

From the sounds of this situation your lodger went down then wanted to go get something coat shoes etc, and the police followed them up to keep an eye on them. You could likely argue this with the in the hallway (obviously not if you just went back to bed) but expect the officer to say its for your safety

Pretty much.

They didn't need a warrant "hi Mrs op, we're here because we need to speakto/arrest MR lodger"

"Oh hes upstairs I'll call him, MR lodger come down the police are here"

Mr lodger comes down Ms op goes back to bedroom.

Mr lodger say oh yes ill come I'm in my boxers I was in bed can I put clothes on

"Sure we'll come up with you"

OK says lodger

Conversation continues at "day time levels"

Police and lodger leave.

Op heads to ocuk

Imagine how you got it bang on. With the only difference being the final line, op, many many months later, while having a general wondering, heads to ocuk.

Whoever answered the door should have asked them if they have a warrant. Better still, shout out of a window and not open the door at all until you've established if they have a warrant or not.

Yeah is how I felt she should have, but the worry at the time of someone being hurt is all she and I were thinking.

I know we could have refused them entry but they were let in voluntarily by the sneaky ways police will act which is all fine they know what gets the best results, I'm just curious to know, once in, could I have told/forced them to leave?

Soldato
OP
You could have just asked them to keep the noise down a bit but the fact that you apparently couldn’t bring yourself to do that and instead are grumbling about it online afterwards makes the notion of you forcing them to leave while in the process of detaining and talking to your tenant seems rather comical

You realise this happened many months ago? Maybe you don't, but the fact that, many many months later, after having a chat talking about that crazy one night we had and a laugh about it all, I, with the least amount of seriousness, said about the way they came upstairs and made the noise, no car of kids/other lodgers/tenants etc, and thought, I wonder if I could have told them to leave and if they would be forced to, or would you be stuck with police once they are in your house. That's an interesting question, I'll see if ocuk lot know the answer. You can refuse entry, this much I know for this situation, but once let in, you can take back the entry allowance.

Imagine all the others concerns were dealt with at the time, I don't need to list them all as why would I, it happened months ago, and was sorted and properly reacted to then. This didn't happen last night. This isn't a "quick to the Internet" moment you brainless lot think it is.

And yes I do know they wouldn't have been able to come in without being let in. Funny how, with my knowledge of the arrest, why, the reason he was home later that same morning, etc, I know they couldn't have come in. But any way, you tell me that they could have big brains.

You asked me how could I have forced them to leave in the middle of the arrest. Have you not read the title of this thread?

Make a post "is it possible to install apple operating system on a pc already with Windows"

Dowie "how do you install apple on a Windows device silly!"

Well yeah, that's the point of the thread.

Soldato
OP
telling them they can't come in isn't necessarily going to work very well
OK thanks but why even bring that up. Have you seen the thread title? No one is suggesting to stop police from entry, other than those who can't read.

It's just a general curiosity. If you let the police into your house, based on them simply asking if someone is in, can you then force them to leave?

Soldato
OP
Last place we left it was i'd asked you to present your GPS data proving you weren't home to Royal Mail as they also used GPS data to show it was delivered, I never heard anything back from you after that :( Just checked, this was on 20th October

On 25th was in a car accident which pretty much took over most of my energy and thought. I went to the local depot to speak with them and basically got that it was going to go no where, mainly because it's you who bought the service, paid for it and then supposably didn't get what he paid for, and you've done enough already. I've had similar back and forth with them as you've had and getting the same reply.

I will say I have also had it since that royal mail sign for something, ring the door bell, leaving the item in front of the door and start driving off before we've got to the door. Luckily been in, but they 100 percent are not waiting for us to take the package and then themselves signing to confirm its been received.

Soldato
OP
giphy.gif
Which part my love?

Soldato
OP
Why would it be after? the previous conversation is entirely irrelevant to what I was posting in response to.
Because it was said... After.... Their.... Comment....

It must be a really sad life to live, to come into a thread, call someone a tit, and then moan about belittling someone that deserved it.

You're such a ding dong. a sad ding dong. A sad ding dong that can't read very well. A sad ding dong that can't read very well that takes offense at others signatures but can't admit it.

Soldato
OP
I've read the first page. And the last page.

Mind blown.
This is GD. You must be new if this isn't what you expect of GD. I learnt it a long time ago. You'll get some useful replies, then 95 percent of the rest will be "give me more information that I don't need so that I can not answer as I don't know the answer any way, and then I will pass judgement".

Back
Top Bottom