Prius PHEV or Prius Hybrid

Soldato
I’ll keep this simple. It will be used as a commuter, and part time private hire.

Commute is 20 mile round trip all city driving 20/30mph. Though with work soon to change it’ll be 40 mile round trip, motorway and some city.

Our home set up is solar 6kw + tesla powerwall. I want as cheap running costs as possible so I’m opting for the plug in but the size of the boot is quite small.

My other option is a normal hybrid Prius /possibly the awd as our area is quite hilly so some snow fall would really make a fwd struggle. Larger boot is a bonus over the plug in. Though may seem a side step from the current car.

Current car is a Lexus CT200h, it’s been great but we’ve found it a little small as a family, and many say they’re not really worth using as a private hire due to the cramped rear leg room.

What would you guys do?

Soldato
yes - can't see a prius would be big enough for private hire, wouldn't you need an estate ie corrola for airport traffic - which many hirers around here use,
any type of bags would be loaded much more easily
... maybe their is no additional passenger knee room though, there are some big people around these days, neighbour temporarily had a diesel insignia estate he used.

Soldato
maybe in London with the charges - but in Cambridgeshire can't say they stand out -
I don't know if all private hire has to be booked in advance, but I wouldn't select a prius as a rear seat passenger.

Man of Honour
maybe in London with the charges - but in Cambridgeshire can't say they stand out -
I don't know if all private hire has to be booked in advance, but I wouldn't select a prius as a rear seat passenger.

There are everywhere all over the UK. You don't get to choose your make and model of car when you book a private hire...

Soldato
I'd forgotten the toyota hybrids have a hunting cvt gearbox too - torque convertor/dsg hybrids are probably much more expensive.

Soldato
OP
I have looked at the Corolla Hybrid/Estate. The Corolla hatch is far too small for boot space/rear passengers, and the estate whilst a good size, for town driving/parking it's a little large. I plan to do private hire part time, local city jobs, with possibly the odd airport job if it comes my way, so I need to compromise on boot space a little with the plug in.. I have looked at other hybrids, Hyundai ioniq, Kona, etc but the Prius reliability is in my opinion vastly ahead.

My dilemma is to compromise boot space for the increased mpg of the plug in, or get the normal hybrid. The awd hampers boot space a little but not as much as the plugin, and the normal hybrid is common and most of the PHV are those in my city.

Soldato
If you're going to be on the road all day I'm not sure the PHEV is the best thing to use, unless you can top up the battery when out and about.

Soldato
I’ll keep this simple. It will be used as a commuter, and part time private hire.

Commute is 20 mile round trip all city driving 20/30mph. Though with work soon to change it’ll be 40 mile round trip, motorway and some city.

Our home set up is solar 6kw + tesla powerwall. I want as cheap running costs as possible so I’m opting for the plug in but the size of the boot is quite small.

My other option is a normal hybrid Prius /possibly the awd as our area is quite hilly so some snow fall would really make a fwd struggle. Larger boot is a bonus over the plug in. Though may seem a side step from the current car.

Current car is a Lexus CT200h, it’s been great but we’ve found it a little small as a family, and many say they’re not really worth using as a private hire due to the cramped rear leg room.

What would you guys do?

If snow is a problem then some proper tyres will be better than AWD. AWD may help get you moving but does nothing for the stopping or steering.

I'd forgotten the toyota hybrids have a hunting cvt gearbox too - torque convertor/dsg hybrids are probably much more expensive.

The behaviour of the gearbox may suggest that it has a CVT but the Toyota box isn't one.

Soldato
OP
If snow is a problem then some proper tyres will be better than AWD. AWD may help get you moving but does nothing for the stopping or steering.

The behaviour of the gearbox may suggest that it has a CVT but the Toyota box isn't one.

Thank you. That makes sense and goes with what others have said online. I think a regular Prius should be perfect for my requirements then.

Back
Top Bottom