Ofcom Bans UK Mobile Operators from Locking Phones

Soldato
I didn’t really have any issues with the long contracts, it’s not like the hid the fact it’s a long contract from you and they only offered them because customers wanted/bought them. If customers didn’t buy them, they wouldn’t sell them.

No locked phones is good though, that said the last one I bought was unlocked. I don’t think I’ve had any issues getting them unlocked in the past and I’ve not had to pay a fee for it for years now.

The most annoying thing about locked phones is not being able to use a local SIM card when overseas. Especially now the roaming charges have been introduced.

Permabanned
They need to bring back 12 months contracts with headsets but this is an start.

No more stupid 36 month contracts at £50 a month.

the problem is, a top end iPhone over 12 months ain’t going to be cheap. Not many people can afford this.

Phone cost has to stop rising for contract amount and lengths to be sensible.

As the prices of phones rise so does the month of the contract lengths.

Split 1600 over 12 months is around £133 a month.

Last edited:
Soldato
the problem is, a top end iPhone over 12 months ain’t going to be cheap. Not many people can afford this.

Phone cost has to stop rising for contract amount and lengths to be sensible.

As the prices of phones rise so does the month of the contract lengths.

Split 1600 over 12 months is around £133 a month.

Thats true.

I see more people these days, including myself buying the phone out right and get an sim only contract. I haven't had a contract phone for over 10 years.

Permabanned
Thats true.

I see more people these days, including myself buying the phone out right and get an sim only contract. I haven't had a contract phone for over 10 years.

People get them on contract because they can't afford the upfront bill. 24 months should be fine as long as the cost of handsets don't rise. Phones are too expensive now, they should not cost what they do.

A lot of people are generations behind.

24x month contract is still £50-£80 a month. If you buy a handset out right you then still have the cost of a sim contract for the phone even if it's just a monthly sim.

Soldato
Its not that simple, I have a contract phone, I could have bought it outright but didn't. The contract was cheaper than buying it outright and getting a sim only plan over 2 years. The phone cost £1,049 to buy, my 2 year contract cost £1,286 with 100gb data. At the time of buying, you couldn't get a 100gb data sim for £9.87/month.

Permabanned
Its not that simple, I have a contract phone, I could have bought it outright but didn't. The contract was cheaper than buying it outright and getting a sim only plan over 2 years. The phone cost £1,049 to buy, my 2 year contract cost £1,286 with 100gb data. At the time of buying, you couldn't get a 100gb data sim for £9.87/month.

It's still costly regardless. That's a big contract cost just for a phone.

Soldato
It's still costly regardless. That's a big contract cost just for a phone.

It's an iPhone, welcome to 2018. That said, buying the latest Samsung on release costs the same these days, if not more. That basically covers the vast majority of the UK market at this point.

The point is that buying outright and getting a sim only doesn't always make it cheaper to own which was the point I responded to. Contract doesn't equal bad. Overpriced contract equals bad.

Permabanned
It's an iPhone, welcome to 2018. That said, buying the latest Samsung on release costs the same these days, if not more. That basically covers the vast majority of the UK market at this point.

The point is that buying outright and getting a sim only doesn't always make it cheaper to own which was the point I responded to. Contract doesn't equal bad. Overpriced contract equals bad.

I know.

Back
Top Bottom