Teaching myself maths

Soldato
I want to get into electronics and to do that I need to improve my maths skills by a lot.

I've done some research, and these books seem to be recommended:

Foundation Mathematics by K.A.Stroud
Engineering Mathematics by K.A.Stroud
Advanced Engineering Mathematics by K.A.Stroud

Has anyone read any of those books, or do you have something else to recommend? It'll cost me £130 to get those three books, so I want to be sure they are suitable before spending a massive amount of money on them.

Or has anyone else found an alternative way into electronics?

Soldato
If the Engineering Mathematics volume used to be a light blue paperback, that’s the one that got me through the mathematics part of my HNC in Electrical & Electronic Engineering in the mid 1980s.

I remember it doing a fantastic job of explaining A level and beyond mathematical concepts to someone who hated the subject at school and barely scraped an O level.

Soldato
OP
If the Engineering Mathematics volume used to be a light blue paperback, that’s the one that got me through the mathematics part of my HNC in Electrical & Electronic Engineering in the mid 1980s.

I remember it doing a fantastic job of explaining A level and beyond mathematical concepts to someone who hated the subject at school and barely scraped an O level.

Cool. Thank you. I'll see how far I can get with the free stuff and then pick up the books when I need something a bit more specific.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Yes, the Stroud books were the maths bible when I did my engineering degree. Although everyone has everything useful in their own complicated excel spread sheet these days, so pick up a book on advanced excel as well :)

Man of Honour
What sort of electronics? I've managed to do a range of stuff with a fairly basic knowledge of maths and a bit of Google - though I'm winging it a bit on some stuff.

Soldato
STEP 1 - SPEND MONEY TO ACHEIVE GOALS
STEP 2 - POSTPONE LOOKING AT BOOKS
STEP 3 - SELL BOOKS ON EBAY FOR A FRACTION OF THE PRICE

Textbook new years type post IMO.

Soldato
It would also be worth going through CGP GCSE mathematics, and later A Level.

Khan Academy is good too.

In all honesty I don’t remember using much mathematics in electronics at uni - mostly and/or and logic.

Soldato
Obvious missing info is what is your current level of knowledge in Maths? GCSE or A levels, and what grade?

Picking up those text books to try and to yourself is going to be very difficult if you don't already have a good foundation of knowledge to work on.

Soldato
KA Stroud. My arch nemesis during university. My maths is terrible and it didn't improve whilst studying engineering or via KA Stroud books. My preferred way of learning are online tutorials like Khan Academy.

Caporegime
I just done an engineering foundation maths module, I pretty much used YouTube to get through it. Though, that method lacks structure, which I had in the way of some exams.

Back
Top Bottom