• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PC Gamer: RX 6500 XT looks worse on paper than AMD's $199 GPU from six years ago

Associate
too much "love island" in this title.

im not going to defend this card but that comparison in the first post should be against something more like a 460 or less. not the best card they sold at the time the 480.

Soldato
Cut down features, cut down shaders, cut down memory bus and cut down pcie interface yet the only thing that isn't cut down is the price.

too much "love island" in this title.

im not going to defend this card but that comparison in the first post should be against something more like a 460 or less. not the best card they sold at the time the 480.

Since they cost the same price it's a valid comparison.

Soldato
Rx 6700XT or nothing for smooth (60FPS minimum at 1080p) gameplay I reckon.

Or, wait for a 6nm refresh of the RX 6700 XT / RX 6600.

Not worth bothering unless they can bring the UK prices down to ~£500, or start offering reference models in decent numbers in the UK.

Soldato
For someone who spent $200 on a GPU 5 and a half years ago and wants to replace it with a $200 6500XT assuming they can even get one at the MSRP then they're only looking at around a 15% performance uplift or less than 3% per year which is even worse than the Intel CPU stagnation era.

Soldato
For someone who spent $200 on a GPU 5 and a half years ago and wants to replace it with a $200 6500XT assuming they can even get one at the MSRP then they're only looking at around a 15% performance uplift or less than 3% per year which is even worse than the Intel CPU stagnation era.

And games don't just run 15% slower than 6 years ago

ifbyou have a 6 year old card today, you need one that is at least twice as fast just to get back to where your performance was relative to 6 years ago - inflation doesn't just affect money, videogame graphics inflation robs you of performance

Associate

I hear you, although It's important to factor in that your 5-year-old card that cost you $200 in 2016 is probably worth more than that second-hand today.

You can make this switch and probably make money while doing it.

Soldato
I hear you, although It's important to factor in that your 5-year-old card that cost you $200 in 2016 is probably worth more than that second-hand today.

You can make this switch and probably make money while doing it.
Dont forget these cards will probably retail for closer to $300 so anything you stand to gain from selling your old card wont end up in your pocket.

Soldato
Surely most graphics cards on the market are a step backwards from 6 years ago if you spend the same money?

The 3060 today costs a similar price to the 1080 Ti six years ago. So the 3060 is a huge step back.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Some would almost have you believe though its an improvement. Yes there are new feature sets to take advantage of but if the overall fps is nearly the same it isn't an improvement. I think this is why they channelled energy into the guises of DLSS and FSR as its helped bail out some weak hardware, probably allows the game devs to target the high end too.

Permabanned
Do you mean the same FPS but in newer games? Newer games are generally more demanding so getting the same FPS isn't actually a step back is it? Given that higher performance is needed to achieve it?

Soldato
RX_6500_XT.gif
Ohhh. FSR got some powerlifting to do.

Associate
Dont forget these cards will probably retail for closer to $300 so anything you stand to gain from selling your old card wont end up in your pocket.

I bought a VEGA56 from Overclockers in 2019 for £250 that came with Division 2, saving me £50 I was going to spend anyway.

My VEGA56 is now worth almost £600 used, which I will sell next week, and I have a 3080 in the post that cost me £650.

I fully understand peoples frustration, I am one of those frustrated people, but if you are able to get on a RRP drop, and sell your old card at mining prices, there are opportunities out there for big gains.

I'm not a wealthy person, and I could never normally afford a 3080 even at RRP, but the current situation has landed me with an awesome deal. Maybe I was just lucky, I dunno...

Associate
I bought a VEGA56 from Overclockers in 2019 for £250 that came with Division 2, saving me £50 I was going to spend anyway.

My VEGA56 is now worth almost £600 used, which I will sell next week, and I have a 3080 in the post that cost me £650.

I fully understand peoples frustration, I am one of those frustrated people, but if you are able to get on a RRP drop, and sell your old card at mining prices, there are opportunities out there for big gains.

I'm not a wealthy person, and I could never normally afford a 3080 even at RRP, but the current situation has landed me with an awesome deal. Maybe I was just lucky, I dunno...

I did something similar but with a 2080 that still had value. If you can upgrade to one of these cards and get a decent price for your old one, you'd be a fool not to.

Back
Top Bottom