Best way to clone a drive and install to a new one on a ultrabook?

Associate
Ok great, will this also work with usb 2 ? just to be on the safe side also I assume it should also be possible to use on 3.5 inch .
Not that I see any need for 3.5" in what you described in the OP, but that kind adapter doesn't have a power supply so can only supply what it gets from USB.
Which is enough to spin up 2.5" drives, but not enough for 3.5".
Pretty sure most (or all) 3.5" drives need 12V to spin their motors, and USB doesn't supply enough juice to transform its 5V up to the 12V current require.

EDIT: apparently Sabrent do multiple version. The small ones like what you'd find in 2.5" USB enclosure and cannot power 3.5" drives. The larger ones are more like those big SATA docks and take a power supply

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Its probably backwards compatible, I'd just go for the 3.0 though, wont make a difference for what you're doing.
Thanks.

Not that I see any need for 3.5" in what you described in the OP, but that kind adapter doesn't have a power supply so can only supply what it gets from USB.
Pretty sure most (or all) 3.5" drives need 12V to spin their motors, and USB doesn't supply enough juice to transform its 5V up to the 12V current required.
No but I thought since im going to buy one may as well get something I can use all round.

Soldato
OP
Pretty sure most (or all) 3.5" drives need 12V to spin their motors, and USB doesn't supply enough juice to transform its 5V up to the 12V current require.

EDIT: apparently Sabrent do multiple version. The small ones like what you'd find in 2.5" USB enclosure and cannot power 3.5" drives. The larger ones are more like those big SATA docks and take a power supply
Thank for clearing that up for me. I dont need it just wanted to know if it was possible to use it on everything.

Soldato
OP
I didn't go into 3.5 versions as its a 2.5 drive in an ultrabook
No issues, I don't think ill need it any way considering most PC's can add more than one drive anyway (unless you have a dell and dont have an extra power cable or sata port) .

Soldato
If you have a second pc then set up a shared network folder if you have sufficient space. You can tell MR to use that. When I did it I also made the MR bootable software so it cloned the drive without being booted into Windows. Then I used a cheap PCIe adapter to mount the Sabrent SSD into one of the motherboard slots on the PC and rerun MR there to restore the image.

Back
Top Bottom