road rule changes 2022

Soldato
The law has not actually changed. There's been no amendments to the RTA.

So causing CONFUSION AND DELAY!
Would you get so irate if they just invented traffic lights? Do you get so irate when you come up to a traffic jam purely created by motor vehicles?

Tractors pull over, never seen a cyclist do that.
Never seen a line of car drivers pull over for cyclists while they sit in a traffic jam either :)

You'd hope in the country lane scenario the cyclist would have some sense and give some space for a safe overtake once the car has slowed down.
How much experience do you have on single lane country roads behind cyclists? I think you'll find most want to get the raging loon off their back as soon as possible. More of a fear is oncoming cars that don't even blink as they approach at speed.

Tractors are faster than cyclists in general

Most tractors can sustain 20mph some 30

Also far fewer tractors on road than cyclists
Many cyclists will exceed 20mph unless they're riding into a headwind/uphill.

a bit silly when you've got an hour journey but encounter a cyclist every 1 to 1.5 miles
Looking forward to seeing this dashcam clip. An hour with a cyclist every 1 - 1.5 miles? Were you driving the RideLondon sportive?

And for those worried they might rear-end the car in front if it stops for a pedestrian crossing a side road. Try dabbing that brake pedal/increasing following distance.

Soldato
It's largely irrelevant for long distance travel.

Motorways are prohibited for cyclists while big dual carriageways have enormous trucks doing 60mph which is basically the same thing.

It's so incredibly rare that I can't recall the last time I deliberately pulled over and stopped on a main road. Admittedly I've become an exercise dodging car user because convenience and effortless travel is addictive but even when I was doing 60-100 miles a week for decades it just wasn't a thing.

The risk from one car looking at your backside is less than 6 cars brushing past you stopped on a main road. You're stopped on a main road for gods sake, you are the hazard.

What is actually a thing is making mild deviations into empty roadside parking areas or junctions to create a better opportunity to be overtaken without surrendering your road use and losing all momentum by coming to a dead stop.

Man of Honour
Looking forward to seeing this dashcam clip. An hour with a cyclist every 1 - 1.5 miles? Were you driving the RideLondon sportive?

The exception rather than the rule but not completely uncommon around here if the weather is nice you get a mass of cyclists out.

It's largely irrelevant for long distance travel.

Depends what kind of journey you are doing - quite a few of my longer trips I never go near a motorway and only intermittent stretches of dual carriageway.

Soldato
The law has not actually changed. There's been no amendments to the RTA.

Would you get so irate if they just invented traffic lights? Do you get so irate when you come up to a traffic jam purely created by motor vehicles?

Never seen a line of car drivers pull over for cyclists while they sit in a traffic jam either :)

How much experience do you have on single lane country roads behind cyclists? I think you'll find most want to get the raging loon off their back as soon as possible. More of a fear is oncoming cars that don't even blink as they approach at speed.

Many cyclists will exceed 20mph unless they're riding into a headwind/uphill.

And for those worried they might rear-end the car in front if it stops for a pedestrian crossing a side road. Try dabbing that brake pedal/increasing following distance.
Can't believe you missed the quote.

Fat controller...

Soldato
Rule H2 - Rule for drivers, motorcyclists, horse drawn vehicles, horse riders and cyclists
At a junction you should give way to pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross a road into which or from which you are turning.

You MUST give way to pedestrians on a zebra crossing, and to pedestrians and cyclists on a parallel crossing (see Rule 195).

The thing is, on the junctions it is NOT MUST give way, it is Should give way, so technically you don't have to and this is going to create a lot of argument.

Last edited:
Soldato
The thing is, on the junctions it is NOT MUST give way, it is Should give way, so technically you don't have to and this is going to create a lot of argument.

Nah, same as it currently is.

Should is not law but if you run someone over while performing discouraged behaviour they can use it as evidence of dangerous driving.

Soldato

You'd hope in the country lane scenario the cyclist would have some sense and give some space for a safe overtake once the car has slowed down.

I drive a lot into Lincolnshire and often come across tractors with long tails. NEVER have I seen one pull over to let traffic through, well once but that was only because the unmarked Skoda behind him lit him up.

Caporegime
The biggest issue here is the Highway Code guidelines have changed, but, who - honestly - has recently read the Highway Code? Never mind followed it…..

A recipe for disaster for many a cyclist I fear….

Soldato

I do it quite often, I did it only today in fact. If there's an area I can pull in to, slow down and the car can pass without me unclipping, I don't see why not (if I'm going slowly). If I'm going 20+mph, I probably wouldn't. (I'm just saying, it does happen...)

Soldato
I do it quite often, I did it only today in fact. If there's an area I can pull in to, slow down and the car can pass without me unclipping, I don't see why not (if I'm going slowly). If I'm going 20+mph, I probably wouldn't. (I'm just saying, it does happen...)

Tractors round here (and there are loads as live 6 miles or so away from a grass processing plant) never really a problem - I can only guess how hard/stressful it is to be the driver of one

What's sometimes very dangerous round here is those oil filling tankers - IMO should only ever be 2 person jobs - as I have seen 2 ridiculous instances - one parked on a country 60mph road in way couldn't see around and the other on a tight 60mph corner - other than waiting for an hour or whatever the only way to get around is to creep round

Why they are not mandated to be one doing the filling one watching traffic I don't know

Often it seems do-able for them to park in people's drives - often seems plenty enough space I only guess would take more time ?

Soldato

You're most certainly in the minority then from my previous experiences of cyclists. All too many have a screw you I'm entitled to be here attitude without any consideration for faster moving road users. Only last week I was driving my lorry around the Dartford area on a single carriageway behind two cyclists, I kept calm because there was a big layby coming up and they'd acknowledged me stuck behind, unable to overtake...surely they'd dip into the layby and back out the other side after I'd passed. Did they hell and this is why road users get frustrated and accidents happen.

Soldato
You're most certainly in the minority then from my previous experiences of cyclists. All too many have a screw you I'm entitled to be here attitude without any consideration for faster moving road users. Only last week I was driving my lorry around the Dartford area on a single carriageway behind two cyclists, I kept calm because there was a big layby coming up and they'd acknowledged me stuck behind, unable to overtake...surely they'd dip into the layby and back out the other side after I'd passed. Did they hell and this is why road users get frustrated and accidents happen.

I gotta tell you I wouldn't have left a main road into a fully separated layby either. That's ditching all momentum and coming to a full stop to reassess the road before rejoining it.

Cyclists are other people trying to get somewhere on their schedule :p

Book a webcam meeting with your local MP and describe why the roads suck for cyclists instead of thinking the roads are fine if only cyclists didn't use them.

Associate
People should not get frustrated behind the wheel. I am all for tearing along at a great rate of knots when safe to do so. However if you cannot overtake safely don't and wait until you can. Ignore what others behind you may be thinking as well.
I'll remember not to get frustrated when I'm late to work/appointments etc because I'm stuck behind some fat middle aged lycra wearing wanna be Chris Boardmans going 15mph on a 60 road where it's perfectly safe to overtake if the bikes ride on the side of the road (or even in the cycle lane)

Soldato
I gotta tell you I wouldn't have left a main road into a fully separated layby either. That's ditching all momentum and coming to a full stop to reassess the road before rejoining it.

Cyclists are other people trying to get somewhere on their schedule :p

Book a webcam meeting with your local MP and describe why the roads suck for cyclists instead of thinking the roads are fine if only cyclists didn't use them.
They wouldn't need to stop, merely pull to the left for a few seconds and let the other road users pass, no loss of momentum or inconvenience to anyone but a cyclist doesn't see things that way clearly, they want it all their way with vehicles giving safe space when passing but won't work with other road users.

Associate
The giving way to pedestrians waiting to cross a side road is just nuts and is definitely going to lead to a load of road rage, confusion and accidents.
What problem is that even trying to solve? And how is it going to work in a busy city centre location with a stream of people crossing. Basically insta-gridlock to any main road through a busy town.

Soldato
The giving way to pedestrians waiting to cross a side road is just nuts and is definitely going to lead to a load of road rage, confusion and accidents.
What problem is that even trying to solve? And how is it going to work in a busy city centre location with a stream of people crossing. Basically insta-gridlock to any main road through a busy town.

Probably that is what they want, one more way to force people stop using cars.

Soldato
They wouldn't need to stop, merely pull to the left for a few seconds and let the other road users pass, no loss of momentum or inconvenience to anyone but a cyclist doesn't see things that way clearly, they want it all their way with vehicles giving safe space when passing but won't work with other road users.

Odd that you'd say that after what I wrote up the page before you ever posted.

I might agree with part of what you say if the layby is not how it sounded the first time you described it.

Back
Top Bottom