Laser levels

Soldato
Green is more visible, especially in bright rooms.

I've a relatively cheap chinabrand 360 degree one and its bloody awesome. Easily got my moneys worth.

Soldato
As far as I recall, green lasers are "stronger" /better range/ better for outdoors

I'd agree with that.

I have a red Bosch and outside in daylight it's invisible (were talking meters distance). Dawn/Dusk and that's not a problem. Indoors not a problem. Switch a light on and it's ok at shorter ranges, longer ranges the red is difficult to detect.
The builder had a red 360 rotating one with a sensor for a pole - that worked but you don't see the beam until it's getting dark. He said that green/ice blue is better outside.

As long as it has auto-level and a lock out switch, a screw hole in the base for a tripod, horizontal and vertical lines you're good to go. The Bosch also has top and bottom dot beams - these are useful for repositioning such as rotating the setup to re-align on the mark on the ground/ceiling.
Then it's down to accuracy and beam power. Most house stuff doesn't have a problem with this - but a 10m garden setup needs more power for visibility (the same power light is spread across the line, the further you go the dimmer it will be - inverse square law). Accuracy of the auto levelling for long runs is important - you can be millimetres or centimetres out. The beam width may only spread a mm or so, but worth checking.

You can see the red line on the wall from outside coming in - this was to work out the levels so the pond filter sat at the right height.
gXSpZro.jpg

Soldato
I got one of the super cheap Bosch Quigo for just over £30 and it's been a god send, even for something as simple as putting up shelves it's super handy.

Will definitely invest in a fancy one before tackling my bathroom job though as the Quigo has limited reach

Caporegime
OP
I got one of the super cheap Bosch Quigo for just over £30 and it's been a god send, even for something as simple as putting up shelves it's super handy.

Will definitely invest in a fancy one before tackling my bathroom job though as the Quigo has limited reach
That's a good price, where from? That's what my Chinese one was (although Bosch is probably made in China too).

Soldato
They are good but remember you need a way of holding the laser level at the right height, a tripod like in the pics posted earlier is ideal.

Caporegime
OP
They are good but remember you need a way of holding the laser level at the right height, a tripod like in the pics posted earlier is ideal.
Yes the magnetic attachment is good for that and I happened to have a tall camera tripod anyway that works well.

I think you can probably hang them from things on the ceiling too?

Soldato
Yeah don’t really get why you’d use it for a curtain pole, I’ve tended to hang one side then get a level on it. General then gauge by eye if the ceiling/window looks out relative to it.

Soldato
what if your floor ,ceiling or wall isn't level.

a perfectly level line on a wall might look wonky

You have to reference something and PRACTICALLY speaking you want true level.

Outside of cosmetic vanity true level is more desirable for most things (surfaces, appliances etc)

Soldato
You have to reference something and PRACTICALLY speaking you want true level.

Outside of cosmetic vanity true level is more desirable for most things (surfaces, appliances etc)

Why would you want true level for a curtain pole? You want it cosmetically level relative to the ceiling and window frame imo. Sometimes that is thereabouts the same but it certainly wasn't in my old house!

Soldato
Why would you want true level for a curtain pole? You want it cosmetically level relative to the ceiling and window frame imo. Sometimes that is thereabouts the same but it certainly wasn't in my old house!

I didn't say you want true level for a curtain pole. I said true level is more desirable for many things.

The decision on a curtain pole could be cosmetically driven but most fixtures, openings and otherwise should be damn near level even if the floor or ceiling is not.

Associate
Just bit the bullet on a Bosch GCL 2-50 C 12v Laser Level - will go nicely with my other Bosch 12v Tools. Looking forward to using it. I was going to buy one that took AA cells , but figured it was better to invest in some more 12v Batteries.

Soldato

I use a photography tripod the mrs bought but never used.. so it got used :D It helps if the top has a quick grip style. Like this: https://www.manfrotto.com/uk-en/com...ripod-with-hybrid-head-black-mkcompactacn-bk/ this allows the tripod to quickly be rotated to approximate level and then the auto levelling in the laser level does the rest. The version I have of that tripod has a quick-release too and you don't need to keep unscrewing the level to take it off.

Soldato
Just bit the bullet on a Bosch GCL 2-50 C 12v Laser Level - will go nicely with my other Bosch 12v Tools. Looking forward to using it. I was going to buy one that took AA cells , but figured it was better to invest in some more 12v Batteries.

That's the same as mine (although mine is the GCL2000 and it takes normal AA batteries). So far it's done - a kitchen refit and tiling, a shower, shelves, a radiator replacement, a pond and filter. It's good indoors and ok outside (although not in full sun/daylight at a distance).

Back
Top Bottom