• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Huge Intel and DDR5 problem needs fixing!

Soldato
Basically you cannot use 2 seperate dual dimm kits on 12th gen intel even if they are exactly the same

Seems to mainly be an issue at 6000mhz or higher kits at xmp
6000mhz is higher than the officially supported 4800mhz so it's no supprise that 4 sticks is a struggle. I'm sure older DDR4 platforms like rocket lake / zen3 would struggle with 4 dimms running 4000mhz+ etc.

Man of Honour
Whats the problem, without wathing the video?

The conclusion was that don't bother buying fast ram if you want 4 sticks, because it won't work at that speed.

Reminds me of the issues with 1st gen Ryzen, but don't know if it is the memory controller, or the motherboard.

Future bios updates might help.

Soldato

There is nothing to fix other than removing RAM slots. Derbauer is correct, all z690 boards should have only had 2 memory slots not 4

there is a reason why no one is selling quad stick kits yet, they don't work properly and 2 of the memory slots on z690 boards are basically useless until this problem is solved, if ever.

This particular issue is not new, it's very common and becoming more common in a variety of devices - the underlying issue has being in your router for years, it's the effective useable range of your Wi-Fi between 2.4ghz and 5ghz modes. Higher frequency signals support higher bandwidth but the signal quality drops off much more rapidly and things like shielding and trace length becomes paramount. In recent times we have run into this exact same problem with HDMI2.1 cables and possibly soon DisplayPort 2.0 cables.

it's everywhere, we keep demanding more bandwidth and higher speeds for our data, but that requires higher frequencies and higher frequencies require more effort on managing signal loss, interference, integrity and shorter A to B routing.

With DDR6 or 7 they're gonna have to stick the memory slots on the back of the motherboard under the CPU

Last edited:
Soldato
It has the same issue with DDR4 above 3200MHz if you want to run 4x 32GB, it simply can't handle it right now. Intel only spec it to 3200MT/s but even getting to that speed is a challenge on some setups.

Soldato
Zen had issues with memory due to being a new arch too . It will need to mature.

Little ironic that the Intel boys was saying " Intel don't have this problem... " at the time.

Hope the new Zen 4 platform doesn't have this issue.

It's apparently a new arch too so yes it more than likely will.

Soldato
Anyone with half a brain (which I know excludes Jay) would have known that the very first desktop DDR5 platform was unlikely to be a winner when it comes to memory speeds and overclocking. X99 was an absolute dumpster fire when DDR4 first hit the market, struggling to run even 3000MHz reliably. Memory ICs, IMCs and motherboards will improve over time. Thanks to Z690 owners for beta testing.

Associate
It is the combination of releasing it too early and hybrid memory controller which have compromises to be able to support ddr4 and ddr5. Zen 4 will be ddr5 only, and it will be released much later so they have time to improve it, see feedback etc, and ryzen 6000 is their first ddr5 platform so you could say beta testing platform. RPL will be much better than ADL, but it is the last cpu generation of that platform so personally i wouldn't buy it cuz Zen 4 will be released at similar time, and it will have support for at least 2 next gen cpu.

Caporegime
It is the combination of releasing it too early and hybrid memory controller which have compromises to be able to support ddr4 and ddr5. Zen 4 will be ddr5 only, and it will be released much later so they have time to improve it, see feedback etc, and ryzen 6000 is their first ddr5 platform so you could say beta testing platform. RPL will be much better than ADL, but it is the last cpu generation of that platform so personally i wouldn't buy it cuz Zen 4 will be released at similar time, and it will have support for at least 2 next gen cpu.

Literally get deja vu reading your posts. What you really mean is, you wouldn't buy it because it's Intel, just say that instead of capping. We've all seen your posts on techsite comment sections with the AMD profile pic.

Associate
Literally get deja vu reading your posts. What you really mean is, you wouldn't buy it because it's Intel, just say that instead of capping. We've all seen your posts on techsite comment sections with the AMD profile pic.
I already bought 3 Intel cpu-s that i have at home active so...

Caporegime
8700k, 9900k and 10900k, 10900k was my primary rig for FL studio until i bought 5900x, others are purely for lan party, corona times....

It seems strange that you'd buy a 10900k just for FL Studio considering some of your recent posts that are critical of Intel and peoples usage, along with telling people to wait for AMD. After all, there was less of a wait between the 10900k release and Ryzen 5000.

Last edited:
Associate
It seems strange that you'd buy a 10900k just for FL Studio considering some of your recent posts that are critical of Intel and telling people to wait for AMD. After all, there was less of a wait between the 10900k release and Ryzen 5000.
I think i can critise Intel more than someone who don't have their cpu-s. Intel behavior in skylake era, bribes, dirty games etc made me to hate them, so i'm more Intel hater than AMD fanboy.

Back
Top Bottom