This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
By what, 0.25% or something? Probably needs to be 10% really to counter inflation but of course that won't happen because everything would implode. :p

Uk went nearly broke in the 70's even now decades later we have globally the largest amount of national debt index linked to inflation. So its about a quarter of the trillions we owe I think, it means we will likely outpace USA rates by a far margin because its going to cost us otherwise.
I expect the end game is 10% rates or so just because I can remember that was the case in the 90's which isnt ancient history so we'll see it again.

The only way to fix higher prices is greater supply. They are about to seal off UK gas extraction in favour of importing, seems a bit dull to compromise ourselves and have to spend billions on defence to counter the weapons Russia buys after we pay them for gas we had here anyway

Soldato
Oh and interest rates are going up.... Great if you can actually save..

Yup. Mortgage fix is up at the end of November, so that's probably another thing that's going to increase! Turning out to be a pretty **** year to be honest - although on the flip side, it could be a lot worse - at least my house hasn't been reduced to rubble by Putin.

I know you're not but if you're going to start taking things away because people don't strictly "need" them where are you going to stop?

We already do this with many things. Child benefit, child, working & council tax credit, student loans/grants, free prescriptions, green homes grant etc. In my opinion it makes perfect sense to means test for any of it.

Caporegime
What do you think about the windfall tax labour are proposing? Tories argument is that it will put off the companies investing in the North sea?

It's the only differentiator Labour have I feel.
It's a very Labour policy and they need to push it.

I actually understand the tories reluctance. But vs people dying? Probably the best bet right?

Caporegime
Yup. Mortgage fix is up at the end of November, so that's probably another thing that's going to increase! Turning out to be a pretty **** year to be honest - although on the flip side, it could be a lot worse - at least my house hasn't been reduced to rubble by Putin.

We already do this with many things. Child benefit, child, working & council tax credit, student loans/grants, free prescriptions, green homes grant etc. In my opinion it makes perfect sense to means test for any of it.

So much this.
My. Mortgage fix is up in February 2023. Could there be a worse time? I'm still contemplating eating the 2k fee and fixing now.

But as you say. Look at ukraine. And really puts things into perspective

State pension will be means tested by time I retire in sure. Probably NHS too.

There simply isn't enough money to tax people for to keep up with the standard of living expectations we have.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
It's the only differentiator Labour have I feel.
It's a very Labour policy and they need to push it.

I actually understand the tories reluctance. But vs people dying? Probably the best bet right?

No the Tory perspective is put people off making untold and untaxed millions. Where the labour perspective is please make millions we want you to, but we are also going to tax you for it and allow to make a fair profit.

Soldato
Then Labour wont get my vote, I am not asking them to pull a plan from thin air, I am asking for an actual detailed plan which shows that their way will succeed where Tories have failed. If they cannot even provide that then I am not going to vote for them just for the sake of it. Any fool can stand and say that X politician is doing this wrong, or X football manager is doing this wrong, or X film director is doing this wrong but if said person cannot actually explain how they would do it and why their way will succeed then its just hot air. Opposition isnt just about opposing, its about providing workable alternatives. Thats something that many opposition parties seem to forget, including the Tories when they were in opposition. They just come onto the tv in interviews and say how the current government is doing it all wrong and yet none of them (any party) ever actually explain how they would do it and why their way will work.

May I ask a question, did you vote for Brexit? Or for conservatives the last round of elections?

If yes to Brexit then where was your detailed plan then? Because we all know there isn’t one.

I’m genuinely curious, I’m not assuming you voted either way, I just want to know if you hold the same views on this subject too.

Associate
So much this.
My. Mortgage fix is up in February 2023. Could there be a worse time? I'm still contemplating eating the 2k fee and fixing now.

But as you say. Look at ukraine. And really puts things into perspective

State pension will be means tested by time I retire in sure. Probably NHS too.

There simply isn't enough money to tax people for to keep up with the standard of living expectations we have.

We did it... remortgaged for some home improvments - plan to weather the economic storm thats brewing. Luckily - it took an extra week to complete - so we slipped into the 1pc ERC bracket... so all in - 2.5k - well worth it.

Soldato
Do Labour have a good workable plan to get us out of this?

Do they need one, I think the Tories are at the point, you vote them out in any way possible, kind of like 1997.

If you need the opposition to have a plan to vote for them, then why arent the same requirements on the sitting government?

I think Labour in power would have to treat this differently, they have far more backbenchers than the government who care about the working class.

Man of Honour
Do they need one, I think the Tories are at the point, you vote them out in any way possible, kind of like 1997.

If you need the opposition to have a plan to vote for them, then why arent the same requirements on the sitting government?

For the reasons I stated earlier, I do not do change for changes sake. I apply that to every aspect of my life, I dont upgrade my graphics card unless the new graphics can evidentially provide improvement, I dont change my broadband provider unless the new provider can evidentially provide improvement, I dont change my Gas/Electric/Insurance provider unless the new provider can evidentially provide improvement and I dont vote for an opposition party unless the opposition party (no matter who they are) can evidentially show they actually have a better plan. So for me, in order to get my vote, yes, the opposing party DO need to show that they have a better plan.

Soldato
For the reasons I stated earlier, I do not do change for changes sake. I apply that to every aspect of my life, I dont upgrade my graphics card unless the new graphics can evidentially provide improvement, I dont change my broadband provider unless the new provider can evidentially provide improvement, I dont change my Gas/Electric/Insurance provider unless the new provider can evidentially provide improvement and I dont vote for an opposition party unless the opposition party (no matter who they are) can evidentially show they actually have a better plan. So for me, in order to get my vote, yes, the opposing party DO need to show that they have a better plan.

If your graphics card was already broken, then would you not consider swapping it for one which at least had a chance of working?

No party has been worthy of my vote so far.

Hehe, yes, I'm wondering what witty-yet-insulting comment or drawing I'm going to put on my ballot paper at the next election because none of the current shower of **** deserve any votes

Man of Honour
If your graphics card was already broken, then would you not consider swapping it for one which at least had a chance of working?

Thats not a valid analogy. A broken graphics card does not function at all, so it would quite obviously need replacing. The government, indeed any government , is not completely broken. There are some things that every government, be they Labour or Conservative, do right and well and things that they do wrongly and badly. So comparing any government to an item which simply does not work at all, is not a valid analogy.

Soldato
Thats not a valid analogy. A broken graphics card does not function at all, so it would quite obviously need replacing. The government, indeed any government , is not completely broken. There are some things that every government, be they Labour or Conservative, do right and well and things that they do wrongly and badly. So comparing any government to an item which simply does not work at all, is not a valid analogy.

If it's not a Labour government, it's broken and needs fixing is the thought process here.

Governments in this country have just proven poor all the time with the power of hindsight. What have they ever got right?

Soldato

If another broadband provider came along and told you they could save you 20% off your bill, you switched, and then you saved 20%, but it dropped out fairly frequently and you're tied in to a four year contract, would that be a valid analogy of a successful switch for you? They evidentially provided improvement and have delivered, but there's unforseen problems. That, to me, feels like every government we've had. A manifesto that they only half (if that) deliver on. Keeping the incumbent in isn't (in my view) better than that either though.

Back
Top Bottom