This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
Quite a lot of disadvantaged households in my local Facebook group. There seems quite a movement growing to just cancel DD and not pay.

What happens if you have nothing (ie you'll never need a credit rating) and you just don't pay? Because I feel this might actually start occurring more

Had a convo with my elder sister on this last weekend.

She is someone who has in the past not paid bills and doesnt care about her credit rating.

She told me basically you initially will get harassed by the company (obvious I guess), then the debt will eventually get sold to a debt collector, they get it at a heavy discount and will accept a fraction of the debt as a settlement. At this point it doesnt reach court, so no bailiffs or CCJ. Only if you ignore the debt collector would it go to court, who would then look at individual circumstance, potential CCJ etc. But still only fraction of debt typically paid. So if you have thick skin, you simply cannot afford, and especially dont care about credit I can see many going this way.

For electric/gas it is different somewhat though, as you need energy, so the likelihood is a pre pay meter with it set to recover the money owed. My sister has been on one of those in the past, she did eventually repay very slowly over time. She said would do it again if had to.

Caporegime
Wind way too unreliable, solar ok but seasonal, nuclear extremely reliable and stable supply, have I got that right?

No, wind snd solar are variable, but that doesn't mean unreliable. The variability has to be factored into design load at the grid scsle. On the other hand, nuclear is invariable which is actually problematic without the ability tl change demand response, snd at the dmse time is often not that reliable . At one stage recently half the French nuclear stationd were off line due to the combined impacts of a dnall tremor and éarge scale emergency shutdowns after many reactors were found tp be hsve serious corrosion issues. This resulted in France having to import a lot of power and fire up coal station

Soldato
No, wind snd solar are variable, but that doesn't mean unreliable. The variability has to be factored into design load at the grid scsle.

At the moment this variability is dealt with by nuclear, gas and coal picking up the slack when wind and solar aren't taking their priveleged place for grid access.

There were numerus occasions in October and November this year when wind variability lead to network shortfall warnings. Two more coalers and one more nuke will be gone by next winter. The margin of reliable on demand plant get's smaller.

Nuclear is inflexible but an excess of nuclear would be a good way of reliably "charging" grid level storage particulalry at night and thus reduce the peak requirement for battery storage.

Soldato
Wind way too unreliable, solar ok but seasonal, nuclear extremely reliable and stable supply, have I got that right?

There's two problems with using that website as a guide to the UK's energy usage and stepping it forward to a carbon neutral country.

People see wind and think it's a hundred percent carbon neutral, it's not. Down the road between the wind farm and the main substation will be a gas generator whose only role is to correct the power factor of the wind energy.

They also see the coal and ccgt and think that's all we need to replace to go carbon neutral, the gas transmission side of grid ships 5-6x the amount of energy that the electric side does. A third of that is for power generation the rest is for domestic and commercial uses, so you will have to add that to the grids demand.

The problem with wind is two fold, it's unreliable weather patterns can change day by day and it's not demand switchable. a lot of potential wind energy is wasted because the wind is blowing when there is no demand.

The future is to use the off demand wind energy and convert it to hydrogen that can be stored in existing gas pipelines and burnt by ccgts when renewables output and demand don't meet.

It'll be interesting as the demand requirements shift from mainly during the day to late evening/night

Associate
Hi all, I wonder if anyone could offer some advice or point me to somewhere I can get some.

So, my fixed price contact ends later this month with Eon and u have been offered 3 new options, 1 flex contract and 2 fixed. I'm unsure whether it's best to continue on a fixed contract which with be more expensive per month or go on a flex contract which per month at the moment would be cheaper.

How can I work out what the best approach is?

Many thanks.

Associate
Hi all, I wonder if anyone could offer some advice or point me to somewhere I can get some.

So, my fixed price contact ends later this month with Eon and u have been offered 3 new options, 1 flex contract and 2 fixed. I'm unsure whether it's best to continue on a fixed contract which with be more expensive per month or go on a flex contract which per month at the moment would be cheaper.

How can I work out what the best approach is?

Many thanks.
What are the unit rates and standing charges for all 3 options? That's the only way to work it out.

Soldato
For electric/gas it is different somewhat though, as you need energy, so the likelihood is a pre pay meter with it set to recover the money owed. My sister has been on one of those in the past, she did eventually repay very slowly over time. She said would do it again if had to.

Surely that's only a feasible solution if it's a temporary situation which has caused you to get into debt? If it's ongoing unaffordability which is just getting worse due to prices going up then the amount of debt is just going to increase.

Soldato
No, wind snd solar are variable, but that doesn't mean unreliable. The variability has to be factored into design load at the grid scsle. On the other hand, nuclear is invariable which is actually problematic without the ability tl change demand response, snd at the dmse time is often not that reliable . At one stage recently half the French nuclear stationd were off line due to the combined impacts of a dnall tremor and éarge scale emergency shutdowns after many reactors were found tp be hsve serious corrosion issues. This resulted in France having to import a lot of power and fire up coal station

The wind is all over the place on the graph, looks very volatile to me. Solar not volatile, but clearly needs something covering for it in winter.

Priority should always be cost to the consumer, which reliability will always play a part off, renewables is cool and all but ideology shouldnt rule the roost. So my own perspective is we need to keep Nuclear long term, probably for at least 50% of usage, and the rest could be perhaps shared between multiple renewable sources.

Caporegime
Some more help will have to be given this winter surely?

This really just shows how vulnerable we are and how there's no way to stop global warming.

I can't see a time in the next 100 years without new technology (ie we need some luck) where enough of the world won't need fossil fuels.

There is just no viable alternative.

Soldato
Some more help will have to be given this winter surely?

This really just shows how vulnerable we are and how there's no way to stop global warming.

I can't see a time in the next 100 years without new technology (ie we need some luck) where enough of the world won't need fossil fuels.

Some old technology, double your loft insulation, lag all pipework, seal leaks and draughts. Only heat rooms that are necessary, bedrooms not so necessary as heat naturally rises and sleeping seems easier in a cool room.

Soldato

Modern small scale nuclear fission generation is around the corner and should be generating within ten years - Rolls Royce SMR. This will be a crucial technology to further phase out fossil fuels until we bridge the gap to commercially viable fusion. One could see the steep rise in energy prices as the kick we needed to accelerate and regain public perception of nuclear.

Wind, solar, hydro and large battery plants will also play a crucial part to balance the grid.

Back
Top Bottom