BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Thanks for the replies, it's very tempting for the price.

Assuming the supplied router is a rebranded Sky router.

Make sure to carefully read the small print before switching. They put the prices up significantly after 12 months if I recall correctly. You might be able to get anytime calls free for 12 months, but probably expensive after that.

I think there's a no contract option too, which appealed to me.

The other thing to know, is they can't always transfer your current landline telephone number over, I know because my dad tried to switch to them on our line, but they refused, so we didn't go ahead with it.

It's mostly aimed at people who watch a lot of TV/films (with bundled packages), can't comment how their packages compare to Netflix. For the entertainment package, prices are £6 p/m for 12 months, then £10 after that.

EDIT - Just checked this. It's £35 p/m for the Fibre 'large' package after 12 months. £8 p/m for anytime calls after 12 months. So, an OK price if you cancel the anytime calls when your contract ends.

It says 'Prices may change during this period', which I assume refers to inflation price increases.

Looks like a good deal (really cheap) if you switch after 12 months to another provider. Could take it with no contract, in case you have problems.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Make sure to carefully read the small print before switching. They put the prices up significantly after 12 months if I recall correctly. You might be able to get anytime calls free for 12 months, but probably expensive after that.

I think there's a no contract option too, which appealed to me.

The other thing to know, is they can't always transfer your current landline telephone number over, I know because my dad tried to switch to them on our line, but they refused, so we didn't go ahead with it.

It's mostly aimed at people who watch a lot of TV/films (with bundled packages), can't comment how their packages compare to Netflix. For the entertainment package, prices are £6 p/m for 12 months, then £10 after that.

EDIT - Just checked this. It's £35 p/m for the Fibre 'large' package after 12 months. £8 p/m for anytime calls after 12 months. So, an OK price if you cancel the anytime calls when your contract ends.

It says 'Prices may change during this period', which I assume refers to inflation price increases.

Looks like a good deal (really cheap) if you switch after 12 months to another provider. Could take it with no contract, in case you have problems.
As the setup is Sky in the background they can’t transfer numbers from Sky to Sky. To some a new landline number (or rather a reused one new to you) is a godsend, to others no issue. To some a nightmare.

Soldato
I was aware of the price increases after the initial 12 months, if they can't offer a deal to stay you can always move provider again.

I would like to keep the landline number so that could be an issue if they can't transfer it over from TTB.

Soldato
Can anyone please tell me what ONT (not router) is generally installed for Openreach based FTTP, and if you can specifically with Zen? I'm assuming the ISPs reselling Openreach based service are all using the same device, but I'm looking at Zen specifically for the business service and /28 static IPs.

I'm assuming/hoping it's something from Motorola/Commscope or Huawei? As long as it's not Calix it'll be fine...

Edit: A word.

Man of Honour
Is it a new install? They used to be Huawei but I believe the later ones are Nokia. Lemme text my Openreach mate and I’ll update to confirm as all he does is FTTP planning stuff.

Soldato
As the setup is Sky in the background they can’t transfer numbers from Sky to Sky. To some a new landline number (or rather a reused one new to you) is a godsend, to others no issue. To some a nightmare.

They definitely can.
Mine transferred just fine. (Originally ex NTL fwiw, but I can't see that would make a difference)

Caporegime
Can anyone please tell me what ONT (not router) is generally installed for Openreach based FTTP, and if you can specifically with Zen? I'm assuming the ISPs reselling Openreach based service are all using the same device, but I'm looking at Zen specifically for the business service and /28 static IPs.

I'm assuming/hoping it's something from Motorola/Commscope or Huawei? As long as it's not Calix it'll be fine...

It will be Nokia, no you can't specify. They are all the same in terms of their abilities to deliver the service.

Soldato
Sky just sent me an email saying they now do 900mb, only £5 more that my 150mb with BT.
Contact is up in June a well.

How much a month? I'm with Sky 500mb but had no such email. On their website it's £47/month for 13 months and £60/month after that! No chance, paying £42/month for 500mb currently and it's plenty quick enough.

Soldato
How much a month? I'm with Sky 500mb but had no such email. On their website it's £47/month for 13 months and £60/month after that! No chance, paying £42/month for 500mb currently and it's plenty quick enough.
£55 for 900mb and £32 for 150.
I'm an early adopter so paying £43 for 150 though I did pay half for the first 6 months.

Man of Honour

Is it a new install? They used to be Huawei but I believe the later ones are Nokia. Lemme text my Openreach mate and I’ll update to confirm as all he does is FTTP planning stuff.
He's confirmed, it's Nokia. I think the newer ones might be single port rather than the Huawei which I have which has 4 ports.

Back
Top Bottom