This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
I think I did. ;) How else did I diagnose it.

The actual usage means more to me than press statements.

They're not press statements, they're the figures declared from testing using agreed testing methodology.

https://www.efficientgaming.info/uk.html

Devices with standby have to have eco modes that use 0.5W or less under EU regulations, hence the suggestion that you may need to check certain settings are enabled (or disabled) to achieve that.

Soldato
Fair enough

I and my wife become like ovens at night

Two people under a decent tog duvet and I can't even wear PJs I get so hot. Nevermind with the heating on lol.
I do put a big fleecy blanket on top of the duvet in winter though, it's supprising how much extra warmth the extra layer provides.

Soldato
I think mines 10.5 tog.
With a good quality cotton cover it's fine for most of the year and too hot in summer.
In winter though I do add a blanket on top which does the job rather than turning the central heating on

Soldato
Someone please explain to me like I'm 5

Who sets the price cap? Why is it rising? Can the government have the power to stop it from rising? Can it go down again?

Soldato

Who sets the price cap? Why is it rising? Can the government have the power to stop it from rising? Can it go down again?

Ofgem. Wholesale costs and delivery costs rising. They cant stop it rising but they can ease the increase it if they wanted but it would be too costly to do hence the £350 BS help plan they have set out. Yes

Answers to all your questions in order and also have you had your head buried in the sand for the last 5-6 months? lol

Soldato
For all intense and purposes OFGEM is a government controlled agency so it is effectively the U.K. government setting the price cap.

To be more precise, the government set the rules in which the price cap is calculated upon, it’s based on the wholesale prices from the previous 6 months prior to the cap being determined, it comes into effect a few weeks later. It’s reviewed every 6 months currently.

Soldato
They're not press statements, they're the figures declared from testing using agreed testing methodology.

https://www.efficientgaming.info/uk.html

Devices with standby have to have eco modes that use 0.5W or less under EU regulations, hence the suggestion that you may need to check certain settings are enabled (or disabled) to achieve that.

My point is bugs can exist. I clearly stated it uses 20w in energy efficient mode which means I selected energy efficient mode. This is not the thread to be a fanboy. ;)

Soldato

Ofgem sets it, Ofgem does what the government tells it to do. It can go down again if either the government changes the rules to make it so, or if the wholesale costs drop low enough and the current rules would make it go down.

Soldato
Ofgem sets it, Ofgem does what the government tells it to do. It can go down again if either the government changes the rules to make it so, or if the wholesale costs drop low enough and the current rules would make it go down.

So ultimately the government is in charge, thanks. I realize that some rises had to be done or more energy companies would go to the wall but they're trying to give the impression it's out of their hands like the Salary raises.

Man of Honour
So ultimately the government is in charge, thanks. I realize that some rises had to be done or more energy companies would go to the wall but they're trying to give the impression it's out of their hands like the Salary raises.

When politics and economics conflict, economics always wins. Governments who acknowledge this earlier cause far less long term damage than those who fight against this reality.

Soldato
Greece to fire up 4 decommissioned coal fired power plants , boost 100% lignite production to meet summer demand. There goes your eco friendly tzatziki and salad this summer...it only took 6 months of turmoil.

I am also reading Poland and Germany to do the same

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Greece to fire up 4 decommissioned coal fired power plants , boost 100% lignite production to meet summer demand. There goes your eco friendly tzatziki and salad this summer...it only took 6 months of turmoil.

I am also reading Poland and Germany to do the same

In Cyprus there's such a lazy push for renewables which I don't understand, with solar being such a no brainer. in summer AC and refrigeration are the biggest issues. Hot water is fine thanks to solar pipes so they already have that behaviour but not for main electricity. It's down to gas/oil deals and it's proximity with the middle East.

Soldato
A fanboy of standby energy testing? What are you using to measure said energy usage, out of interest?

Not a fanboy of standby energy testing, just something I tested.

If you wondering what made me test it, is that I noticed the external hdd connected to it a usb port was still powered on and active, even when it was configured to be powered down when in standby, so I knew something wasnt right from that alone. Also take a look at reddit there is bug reports on this out there.

If you dont want to be labelled as a fanboy than a response of "oh thats interesting" would have been better than "it must be operator error because microsoft said that doesnt happen".

Soldato
In Cyprus there's such a lazy push for renewables which I don't understand, with solar being such a no brainer. in summer AC and refrigeration are the biggest issues. Hot water is fine thanks to solar pipes so they already have that behaviour but not for main electricity. It's down to gas/oil deals and it's proximity with the middle East.

never been to Cyprus, so really dont know what they are up to there, in Greece though solar panels are everywhere, so are wind farms. There is a little problem though in GR, peak demand is during the summer where the population of the country doubles from 11mln to 22 especially in August. With natural gas out of the equation, king coal to the rescue as Labr@t said....

Back
Top Bottom