This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
The BBC just needs an algorithm like netflix or facebook to keep those on the platform 'entertained' ... well, everyone has a plan until Fury punches them in the face.

Somehow, Netflix always has a knack for showing viewers the perfect thing to watch. In other words, they show a selection of the most appealing things to scroll through. Netflix’s customer retention can be attested in large part to their algorithmic recommendations. The massive streaming service employs mathematical predictions in their software to recommend things that a viewer will like after they’ve been watching over time. This method has also been one of the most integral customer retention strategies of the modern day. Predictive content has been a game changer for customer retention. Netflix’s use is one of the best early implementations, outside of YouTube and Google

Broadband saving looks a more lucrative saving area with deals like below from HDUK, which would save me same as a £15 netflix contract we don't have,
- wouldn't mind a combined broadband & mobile contract.
Virgin Media 108mb Fibre Broadband £24 pm/ 18m + £34 cashback + £100 Amazon voucher (New Customers) £432 (£16.56pm effective) @ VM/Quidco

Soldato
The BBC just needs an algorithm like netflix or facebook to keep those on the platform 'entertained' ... well, everyone has a plan until Fury punches them in the face.

Broadband saving looks a more lucrative saving area with deals like below from HDUK, which would save me same as a £15 netflix contract we don't have,
- wouldn't mind a combined broadband & mobile contract.
Virgin Media 108mb Fibre Broadband £24 pm/ 18m + £34 cashback + £100 Amazon voucher (New Customers) £432 (£16.56pm effective) @ VM/Quidco
I don't think they make any shows I like, besides I want quality not dance off, bake off, etc etc

Soldato
How is that even possible, what watt rating is that light?

a kwh = 1000 watts. Most LEDs are what, 12w? even on 24 hours that doesnt even get close? Must be some beefy LED light or something going on there.

Its linked to an extractor fan, but most of the time I have the fan off, so the fan itself is likely the culprit, but was a surprise given the fan is off most of the time.

Soldato
Since maths

159 a year for BBC

11 a month for netflix (standard)
11ppm*12 months=132 a year

On top of that web iplayer is only 720p (and even only that after forcing it to london region, 420p everywhere else).

I agree on the earlier comment the value in bbc now days is really the news and education stuff, entertainment part of it should not be funded from the license.

Soldato
that's demonstrably false V - obviously don't use iplayer

52027747392_6a4a32075a_w_d.jpg

despite protestation, I think killing eve, peaky blinders, attenborough, would be on like list of most oc'ers.

Caporegime

interesting video, I live in a house with the family and all of our rooms (except bathroom) have devices in that are on 24/7 such as a TV sky box/games console so I’ve wondering about things like this covered in the video to control it all, seems like some investment is needed to start saving the costs.

I started last year (when we switch providers) being more militant about things being switched off as they were leaving phone chargers plugged in 24/7 but these now get turned off when not in use (but they still charge there phones throughout the day even when not needed) so there’s still more to do

that's demonstrably false V - obviously don't use iplayer

52027747392_6a4a32075a_w_d.jpg

despite protestation, I think killing eve, peaky blinders, attenborough, would be on like list of most oc'ers.

True, i think 1280 is the highest res, however if I start say BBC breakfast at the higher settings when it goes to local news it will go to a holding screen as its not broadcast at the same res, so hes semi right, just out on the resolutions sent :)

Soldato
True, i think 1280 is the highest res, however if I start say BBC breakfast at the higher settings when it goes to local news it will go to a holding screen as its not broadcast at the same res, so hes semi right, just out on the resolutions sent :)

Yeah you right, its 540p not 420p. Note its at this lower resolution for national shows like MOTD as well if set to east midlands, I have to set it to England globally (London) to get 720p.

4MxkfWS.png

Soldato
Up until recently, I've been paying £193 a month for gas and electric. A recent review showed I'd built up credit of just over £800 (not sure over what period)

The provider - Scottish Power - dropped my monthly payments to £83. Bit of a result I thought.

Yesterdayt morning I get an email from Scottish Power with their new fixed rates for the next 12 months.

£421 a month.

Nice :eek:

Not if already asked, but what is the "Standing Charge" and why would that double? Is it related to the price of the resource?

I believe Scottish Power only offer fixed rate online. Having read a newspaper article about a lad in a similar position, he was offered their cheaper standard variable.

Caporegime
I believe Scottish Power only offer fixed rate online. Having read a newspaper article about a lad in a similar position, he was offered their cheaper standard variable.

If you're already on the SVT you'll stay on the SVT if you do nothing. If you're coming to the end of a fixed price tariff you'll be put on the SVT if you do nothing.

Soldato
Yeah you right, its 540p not 420p. Note its at this lower resolution for national shows like MOTD as well if set to east midlands, I have to set it to England globally (London) to get 720p.

Looks like it auto selects based on network speed. When I load the page it starts playing 960x540 and after a few seconds changes to 1280 x 720

Soldato
that's what the dash (Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP) acronym in the captures signifies.

from the weekend news .. I was surprised the chancellor doesn't have solar to satisfy his £14k/pa energy needs for swimming pool.

Soldato
These MP dont got a lot of brain do they. He is rich enough to setup a very nice system to cover his heating via solar panel or whatever green energy is available but he takes the convenience option and thinks being one of the most famous people in uk and unpopular at times, its not going to be a problem
Its linked to an extractor fan, but most of the time I have the fan off, so the fan itself is likely the culprit, but was a surprise given the fan is off most of the time.

I was thinking one day people will just power these things off a solar panel and it'd not be too expensive to do. Ideally we'd all use solar for all minor accessories like that. Put it another way you done the right thing to have the fan not leaving the room damp, its more expensive if you let it get damp walls

Not if already asked, but what is the "Standing Charge" and why would that double? Is it related to the price of the resource?

Standing charge became ridic because the whole industry is paying off bankrupt companies debts. Scottish power arent much use compared to somebody like Octopus but if you are in Scotland maybe the interest free loan is possibly the best choice

Soldato
But that's far from a like for like comparison, the BBC produces WAY more quality than Netflix, I would choose iplayer over Netflix anyday, before we even consider radio, Radio 4 is a fantastic service, there's nothing like it worldwide.
In summary, Netflix largely average with a few novelty things every now and again, it's capitalism again trying to give us as little for as much as they can get.
BBC is not perfect, but by a country mile better than Netflix et al.

That's probably more of a generational thing. Albeit a few shows I find most of the stuff the BBC produces is utter junk. With having DAB in the car now which gives access to hundreds of radio stations, I don't think we've ever tuned into any of the BBC stations. I've also started to find the quality of BBC news lacking, even reading it when I'm half asleep in the morning I've come across countless errors.

that's what the dash (Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP) acronym in the captures signifies.

from the weekend news .. I was surprised the chancellor doesn't have solar to satisfy his £14k/pa energy needs for swimming pool.

The family are multi-millionaires. Probably close to verging on a billion as I think his wife's shares are worth something like 700 million. 14 grand to heat the pool is pocket change to them.

These MP dont got a lot of brain do they. He is rich enough to setup a very nice system to cover his heating via solar panel or whatever green energy is available but he takes the convenience option and thinks being one of the most famous people in uk and unpopular at times, its not going to be a problem

I was thinking one day people will just power these things off a solar panel and it'd not be too expensive to do. Ideally we'd all use solar for all minor accessories like that. Put it another way you done the right thing to have the fan not leaving the room damp, its more expensive if you let it get damp walls

Standing charge became ridic because the whole industry is paying off bankrupt companies debts. Scottish power arent much use compared to somebody like Octopus but if you are in Scotland maybe the interest free loan is possibly the best choice

I heard they were also letting things go into the unit rate that could be in standing charge but they didnt care
Now the unit rate is capped (but standing charge not in effect) you can be damn sure they are pushing everything they can into recovery via standing charge

Also we had lots of storms, those charges for fixing all the downed cables etc have to be recovered from somewhere!

Back
Top Bottom