The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
no one is even really asking for "free speech" as any platform will be subject to various rules, laws, restrictions etc. The issue most people have with Twitter is political bias and different treatment based on your political views which is something Tim Pool did well to highlight in his interview with Jack Dorsey. Twitter famously suppressed the Hunter Biden laptop story just before the election and people were rightly angry that a platform as large as Twitter can have such influence over public opinion or access to specific news. That's the issue as I see it.

The non story.

Soldato
The non story.
Its a huge story but thats irrelevant. Its whether tech companies should suppress stories, especially when they have the potential to swing elections. Twitter or people pressuring Twitter clearly thought so and so it was memory holed. If that doesn't make you uncomfortable well okay then. I'd prefer transparency myself.

Man of Honour
Twitter has reached an agreement for the billionaire to buy the social media platform in a $44bn deal.

Done deal.

Caporegime
Its a huge story but thats irrelevant. Its whether tech companies should suppress stories, especially when they have the potential to swing elections. Twitter or people pressuring Twitter clearly thought so and so it was memory holed. If that doesn't make you uncomfortable well okay then. I'd prefer transparency myself.

Transparency doesn't stop people convalescing around like-minds and shutting everyone else out. Twitter will be toxic regardless of who owns it or whatever it's rules might be.

The problem is that lies travel instantaneously whilst the truth may as well not matter.

We'll pay for this eventually.

Caporegime
The only good thing he can really do and that I would like to see is removal of the block function.

At least then people will eventually abandon it.

Soldato
no one is even really asking for "free speech" as any platform will be subject to various rules, laws, restrictions etc. The issue most people have with Twitter is political bias and different treatment based on your political views which is something Tim Pool did well to highlight in his interview with Jack Dorsey. Twitter famously suppressed the Hunter Biden laptop story just before the election and people were rightly angry that a platform as large as Twitter can have such influence over public opinion or access to specific news. That's the issue as I see it.

They supressed it because they didn't want to spread potentially hacked materials like they did in 2016 with Russian hacked documents from the DNC. You can see why they did it.

And really, what does it matter what Hunter Biden did in his life? Its such a red herring. Yes he played on his name to get a job and make money, like 100s of 1000s of other people with rich/powerful parents or family members do, including Trump's family members. We still don't know what is legit on that drive, yes they've managed to verify some emails but it also shows signs of files being altered. Twitter and FB did the right thing on that occasion IMO, their platforms shouldn't be used in that way to swing elections, I don't care which side is doing it. And the drive came from Rudy ffs, would you trust anything that came from him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom