Is My PSU Faulty? PC "needs to wait a bit" to turn on again

Associate
Hi Guys! My situation is as follows: My Desktop PC functioned properly for many years, now though, when I turn it on in the morning, it turns on fine, but after that, if it's turned off and on again, unless some time passes (usually 5-10-15 minutes), it just won't turn on, nothing will happen, no matter how angrily I press the power button. It's almost as though now the PSU needs some time to "recharge" to be able to turn on - should I just buy a new PSU?
Thanks in advance!

CPU:Intel Xeon CPU E5-2665 2.4ghz
Motherboard:HP Z420
Ram: 32gb
SSD/HDD: seagate
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
PSU: Sea Sonic SS-550T
Age of entire system: around 6 years

EDIT: Why do I have a random picture of a woman as my avatar? I tried finding the option in the settings but there doesn't seem to be a way to change it?

Soldato
I was more meaning it was an intel chipset from a simmilar vintage... I remember they somtimes didn't start up properly from a 'proper' cold boot, as in PSU disconnected from the mains etc. A restart or two usually sorted it.

I may be completley wrong but just a thought.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies! I’ve now tried everything such as taking the video card and ram in/out and replacing the cmos battery, now I plan on getting a new psu
Previously I had a seasonic ss550ht, those are no longer sold, if I get a Seasonic 550W S12III-550 instead will that do? Or could you recommend some other brand? Thanks in advance!

Man of Honour
Thanks for the replies! I’ve now tried everything such as taking the video card and ram in/out and replacing the cmos battery, now I plan on getting a new psu
Previously I had a seasonic ss550ht, those are no longer sold, if I get a Seasonic 550W S12III-550 instead will that do? Or could you recommend some other brand? Thanks in advance!

The Core (not G12) GC-500 (or GM-500) is a better budget PSU than the S12-III, which is not a Seasonic and not comparable to the original S12, or the S12-II.

If you're buying from OCUK I'd get the Phanteks AMP (also a Seasonic) which is a step-up from the core models.

Associate
I don't think it's the PSU that's the problem. I've had 3 PSU's (Corsair HX620 then HX650 now Seasonic TX700 Fanless) in my X79 setup and only recently (in the last few years) has it begun exhibiting the same types of symptoms (doesn't shut down easily or properly; oftening hanging there at shut down, or when trying to restart the system straight after a shut down, it refuses and throws all sorts of tantrums at the start).

In my instance, I found that it's the attached USB devices that were causing this issue. If I remove everything but the keyboard and mouse, I can shut off and switch back on again straight after without issues. But once I have a USB device attached, this issue crops up. So if you do have numerous USB powered devices attached, try removing them and see if it persists. If it doesn't, try it one by one until you find the culprit. Hopefully that will help with your issue there.

Back
Top Bottom