Duke nukem forever 2001

Soldato
I saw that pop up on my twitter feed earlier. The video clip I watched looked decent.

On a related note, for Duke fans, check out this guys project for "Duke Smoochem" a dystopic Britain built as a Duke Nukem adventure in the original engine.

The thread is enormous, but here's a seagull stealing crisps from a supermarket (there's a better clip of an updated version a few posts lower, but it has swearies in the post before it so couldn't quite)

Caporegime
Gonna have to take a look for it once I get my pc back up and running. That's arguably one of the most hyped trailers for a pc game of all time, be interesting to see just how much of it was smoke and mirrors as is often claimed.

Looks reasonably playable going by that. :eek: Being released in June supposodly.

Mr engine swapper confirming it whilst tying to sound sorry for himself. *******.

Last edited:
Soldato
Even in a semi complete, barely functional, bug ridden state, its bound to be better than what was released. Interesting...

Caporegime
Even in a semi complete, barely functional, bug ridden state, its bound to be better than what was released. Interesting...

What was released was pretty abysmal, you could tell they had taken the working levels and basically just stitched them together to form a game. Pretty jarring when levels just seemed to randomly end with a black screen, which showed just how half assed it was.

Still it'll be interesting to give this a go at long last, broussard is probably dreading people liking it as it'll just prove how wrong he was to constantly mess with the development of the game.

Man of Honour
I loved the music on the original trailer (IIRC it is the 1997 version not the E3 trailer).

Last edited:
Associate
Haha, that pigeon! Shows true Duke Nukem character there. Will have to try that mod!

Also Forever getting some of release is great. I never did play the Gearbox DN Forever as it was obviously not very good.

The 20th anniversary campaign i did enjoy however.

Caporegime
I loved the music on the original trailer (IIRC it is the 1997 version not the E3 trailer).

98:)

I just watched the 98 trailer again, if you compare it to the 2001 trailer the 98 version looks like some rough user created mod. The 2001 version looks a ton more polished and visually a lot better, engine helped a bit there I suppose.

Man of Honour
I remember being inspired by the mine section and got bored of waiting for it starting trying to replicate it - but then started a new job and never finished anything:

sSOdYde.png

The grey mess was a waterfall which looks OK in motion but totally arse in a static screenshot.

Caporegime
An older article has resurfaced about a build of the game sent to arstechnica in 2006. Musta flown under the radar as I can’t remember it.

The build of the game they got was spread across FOUR dvd’s :eek:. This at a time where cds we’re still the primary physical copy medium on pc. Makes me wonder just how big this leaked version is gonna be.

The game also featured finishing moves, if you took out an enemies legs you could go over and trigger an animation where the gun was put under the enemies chin and their brains blown out. And one of the weapons…was a female…pleasure device attached to a large motor…you could only use it to attack enemies from behind so enough said there.

The game also ran through a browser interface, which also seems strange, the article mentions this was their way of making it work on the consoles and the pc. According to the guy who got it sent to him the game felt more like a proper 3d version of duke 3d, so in some ways a remake of sorts.

Article here ;

Man of Honour
The game also ran through a browser interface, which also seems strange, the article mentions this was their way of making it work on the consoles and the pc.

I've seen it used, in more recent times, for game testing so they can more easily control access and limit the ability for people to retain a copy/only streamed assets, etc. seems kind of odd otherwise.

I know there was a fad for a bit around 5-10 years ago of trying to port a lot of games to browser based stuff but that seems to have faded out mostly.

Soldato
Gonna have to take a look for it once I get my pc back up and running. That's arguably one of the most hyped trailers for a pc game of all time, be interesting to see just how much of it was smoke and mirrors as is often claimed.

Looks reasonably playable going by that. :eek: Being released in June supposodly.

Mr engine swapper confirming it whilst tying to sound sorry for himself. *******.
See comments on the top video, "The original game has been released on 4chan this very morning."

Back
Top Bottom