Self Checkouts - Supermarkets

Soldato
I got checked a 2-3 times when I first started using self scan and never missed anything and now I cannot remember the last time I was check. Maybe you build up some trust within the system?

If you're getting randomly checked often (scan as you shop), then you're either adding and removing items from the list of scanned products or you're triggering one of the other criteria for a search like adding high value items that you don't normally buy.

Try it; add a bottle of ketchup then remove it from the scanned list. Then scan a different bottle... you'll end up getting searched.

I like scan as you shop but I tend to only scan the item after I'm 100% sure I won't need to remove it, to avoid the faff.
It depends on the system and how it is implemented but there are various types of trust system or it can be as basic as check every X baskets per Y shopping trips across all terminals. For the high value items I think it less about that and more about basket value compared to how much your basket value normally is. not 100% certain on though.
The only issue I have with self serve tills is the ones we have in the local coop, they have cameras on the top, wtf for, everytime I go it wants to wait for a member of staff who is either walking around stacking shelves and the likes or serving people on the main tills to say I'm old enough to buy beer, surely without much effort they could have the system ID you from a picture its taken and then use that to determine age, or, given every time I go in I get verified by staff, surely putting the two together isn't that hard...
Its meant to deter theft as it gives you the impression you are being recorded.

Associate
I use them all depending on fresh goods, queues and basket or trolley, but i also use LIDL a bit too. My biggest challenge is managing to remember to bring my shopping list and cool bags.

Soldato
My local tesco, not that I use it much, but when I do all the checkout staff are related to the T Rex, as in short arms that cannot get the product from the scanner to at least within 2 metres of my bag.

Also the fact I don't go in a supermarket to chat about the weather and who's doing well on BGT, makes self service the perfect way out for me.

Caporegime
Just read that article too. Basically it's oldies that seem to have an issue because they either refuse to adapt to new tech, or as she nigh on states in the article she's a sad, lonely woman who just wants the social contact.
There's nothing more frustrating but also tragic than getting stuck behind that biddy who has a couple of items scanned then spends 10 mins talking to the cashier whilst the queue just continues to build up.

Man of Honour
...because everyone else using the staffed tills also loves chatting - that's why there's such a long queue. :rolleyes:

Chatting is rare. The main reason the queues are long is a deliberate policy by the supermarkets to force customers away from them by under-staffing them. It saves them money on staff costs. And the reason I still go to a manned till is that the saved money isn't going to me, it lining the pocket of the boss. If they knocked money off to self-serve, I'd self-serve. Otherwise ****-em.

Soldato
I usually choose self scan options where possible but I very rarely do a 'big shop'.

I did a £100 shop last week at tesco and used one of their trolley self scan machine. It was rubbish. Physically scanning a trolley load of shopping, left to right, whilst stood up and having to bend over to place items on the scales was a faff.

I much prefer self scan for ~10 items, or a checkout system like Aldi where your pack once you've paid.

Caporegime
Just read that article too. Basically it's oldies that seem to have an issue because they either refuse to adapt to new tech, or as she nigh on states in the article she's a sad, lonely woman who just wants the social contact.
There's nothing more frustrating but also tragic than getting stuck behind that biddy who has a couple of items scanned then spends 10 mins talking to the cashier whilst the queue just continues to build up.
You could be there one day mate, we all could.

Permabanned
I bet this felling varies depending on your mood that day?
Why punish the people who have known a thing to be a certain way for decades and can't be bothered with all the faff of having to learn how to use a self scan till while they've never bother with a smart phone or lap top? lol
It does vary per area I suspect though.

Caporegime
You could be there one day mate, we all could.

There are other options. My 87 year old grandmother has a fantastic life. Her social calendar is insane despite being a widow and having friends regularly pass. Its about finding opportunities and they definitely exist.
I literally have to tell her weeks in advance that I'm taking her out or visiting.

Caporegime
There are other options. My 87 year old grandmother has a fantastic life. Her social calendar is insane despite being a widow and having friends regularly pass. Its about finding opportunities and they definitely exist.
I literally have to tell her weeks in advance that I'm taking her out or visiting.
That’s why I said you could be there. No one knows what the future holds for us.

Permabanned
They had to accept new tech, new ways of life etc. In some areas, self serve supermarkets didn't exist until the early 70s. Before that, people did their shopping by visiting various shops - butchers, deli, bakers, greengrocers and general store (think Open All Hours). So the elderly in their 80s and 90s had to adapt as the small places closed either through loss of sales or retirement.

How did the population cope with these self serve supermarkets when they first stated to open?

Back
Top Bottom