Will I fail my background check?

Caporegime
It’s not clear what you mean, surely it’s up to your employer and how they want to deal with it?

You’ve already know you’ve been rumbled by the background check, you covered up transferring credits etc.. on your CV. On the plus side you did graduate from the institution you said you graduated from, got the degree you claimed?

On the downside you’ve covered up some employment in 2013-2014, the background check company might want to phone your employer(s) during that period, check you weren’t sacked. You have blatantly lied on your CV to cover up that Uni stuff and they might well not be too happy about that.

Soldato
Assuming it's not a bot - I've had background checks come back on people I'm looking to hire with discrepancies, sometimes they're enough that HR get spooked, sometimes they're small enough that they are raised to the hiring manager who will then have the final say.

It does look a lot like you're covering up something and got rumbled - that's how I'd view it. The remedy is to update your CV (resumé, whatever) and don't try and cover up stuff again. For this, or HR department would probably, ironically, send out a regret note.

Man of Honour
I had an offer accepted by a prospective hire, went on holiday and came back to find he'd failed background check and HR / Tech Director wouldn't even tell me exactly what it was, just that the offer had been withdrawn.

Soldato
GDPR innit :(

No. Typically it prevents/limits legal fallout should they sue from withdrawing the offer.

GDPR allows data to flow through a process, if you're part of that process you'll be able to see the data and would be covered by the data governance. You may only be told yes/no as a result based on the process hence the why is missing.

Caporegime
OP seems to have deleted the OP now, I won't be specific if he now wants that info removed but what he did was minor and wouldn't be found out in a regular company and/or is pretty minor and likely could be explained away if it were discovered.

The problem is that in financial services (indeed in anything government related requiring vetting) you have to be completely transparent, even a small lie or omission on a CV can be found out and cause for failing the check.

Just for the benefit of anyone reading who hasn't worked in finance, the checks I've had tend to ask for 10 years of employment history AND for you to account for any gaps, the checks get carried out by a private company and they will check everything you put down, you need to account for every month over the prior 10 years, they don't care if you weren't employed for X months at some point, they're not the hiring manager/you're not trying to impress them by jazzing anything up, they just want dates/confirmation that you were at X employer, X educational institution or doing whatever it is you put down etc.. at the dates you claim, that's it + a credit check & criminal record check.

Soldato
Just for the benefit of anyone reading who hasn't worked in finance, the checks I've had tend to ask for 10 years of employment history AND for you to account for any gaps, the checks get carried out by a private company and they will check everything you put down, you need to account for every month over the prior 10 years, they don't care if you weren't employed for X months at some point, they're not the hiring manager/you're not trying to impress them by jazzing anything up, they just want dates/confirmation that you were at X employer, X educational institution or doing whatever it is you put down etc.. at the dates you claim, that's it + a credit check & criminal record check.

I have worked for the UK gov as an executive officer and now work in the USA for a legal services company. The background checks are extremely thorough, including any financial issues. As you say, it is worth being upfront, as they won't want to take on a liability if it comes to light.

P.s. dearest OP, let us know if you got through the check lol.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I had a background check where they kept quizzing me about a former employer I'd left over 7 years prior that I worked at for nearly 8 years, yet apparently had no record of me having worked there! Even when I supplied my employee number from an old payslip apparently they couldn't look it up on that due to some restructuring that had gone on. They then wanted to see a contract or offer of employment but I could only find the letter I'd been sent 15 years ago for the original job (because that was sent to my personal email, all the subsequent job moves were on the company email I no longer have access to), and they were then saying it didn't match the job titles I'd had subsequent to that (like... dur, I got promoted, I changed role, got promoted again... like it shows on my CV where the original job title matches the one in the letter and then has dates against each subsequent role...)

Back
Top Bottom