LG 2021 OLEDs (C1, G1 etc)

Soldato
any thoughts on wether to buy now or wait until april ish for a further price drop or do you reckon will stay static around £1400? seen its a good price at richer sounds here:

Presumably the C1 is OK in 65" - I've done very little research but understand it will be good for my xbox series X (can do 120FPS ) and netflix.

Will it be OK to return audio to my amplifier? Denon x2400 - it doesnt have 120hz pass through.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lg...code-6-year-warranty-at-richer-sounds-3879390

Soldato
any thoughts on wether to buy now or wait until april ish for a further price drop or do you reckon will stay static around £1400? seen its a good price at richer sounds here:

Presumably the C1 is OK in 65" - I've done very little research but understand it will be good for my xbox series X (can do 120FPS ) and netflix.

Will it be OK to return audio to my amplifier? Denon x2400 - it doesnt have 120hz pass through.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lg...code-6-year-warranty-at-richer-sounds-3879390
So I bought one, 1370 with price match for 65" C1 seems good. Anything I should know?

Can I use an EARC Channel hdmi cable back to my AV receiver? Will that be sufficient?

Soldato
So I bought one, 1370 with price match for 65" C1 seems good. Anything I should know?

Can I use an EARC Channel hdmi cable back to my AV receiver? Will that be sufficient?

Congrats on the purchase. Your AVR Does not have eARC, however you can use the eARC port on the TV. So plug the console into the TV to get the 120hz (when its able) / VRR Goodness / HDR etc and then cable from the eARC port from the TV to your AVR to carry the audio. Though not sure what audio formats you will passthrough, theoretically should be able to get compressed 5.1 through to your AVR.

Soldato

Plug all devices that need HDMI 2.1 features (like 120hz) into the TV itself. Then you're good. Don't know enough about your AMP but LG pass through all Dolby signals up to Atmos in TrueHD. If your AMP supports that then you'll be good on that front too. The TV won't pass through any DTS, but generally devices that need 120hz don't use DTS (unless you're using your Xbox as a (4k) bluray player).

Soldato
Plug all devices that need HDMI 2.1 features (like 120hz) into the TV itself. Then you're good. Don't know enough about your AMP but LG pass through all Dolby signals up to Atmos in TrueHD. If your AMP supports that then you'll be good on that front too. The TV won't pass through any DTS, but generally devices that need 120hz don't use DTS (unless you're using your Xbox as a (4k) bluray player).

So yeah my amp doesn't pass through hdmi 2.1

My understand was that DTS is better than Dolby digital?

I intend to use only 5.1 speakers (not the highest end! Tannoy eclipse 3 - 5 speaker set and a Bk xls400)

Soldato
So yeah my amp doesn't pass through hdmi 2.1

My understand was that DTS is better than Dolby digital?

I intend to use only 5.1 speakers (not the highest end! Tannoy eclipse 3 - 5 speaker set and a Bk xls400)

DTS uses a higher uncompressed bit rate than Dolby does, but Dolby always argues that their codecs are better hence their compression.

Hit and miss as to which is better, more down to your own personal listening.

Soldato
If I get one of these TVs I'll have to do the pass through as my amp didn't support it.
At the minute I just use LPCM do the TVs pass that through?
Only be a PS5 I'll be using this way.

Associate
Where/which is the black frame insertion setting? Not enjoying the draw backs on this OLED atm, despite it having many positives.

My HDMI cable should be here today so i'll be able to unlock the game mode during other uses? It doesn't work with Netflix app, so i dunno if the BFI setting is in there or not.

Soldato
DTS uses a higher uncompressed bit rate than Dolby does, but Dolby always argues that their codecs are better hence their compression.

Hit and miss as to which is better, more down to your own personal listening.

Regular DTS can go upto 1.4mb sec..DD.is about 384kps.

I think DTS sounds better especially in the bass

Soldato
My C1 has failed after owning it for less than six months. It has been collected for repairs and I'll be offered a refund if they can't fix it.
What's the story with these sets? Are they known to have issues like this? If I do get a refund I'm seriously put off from buying another unless I can be persuaded otherwise.

Soldato
My C1 has failed after owning it for less than six months. It has been collected for repairs and I'll be offered a refund if they can't fix it.
What's the story with these sets? Are they known to have issues like this? If I do get a refund I'm seriously put off from buying another unless I can be persuaded otherwise.

They're mostly fine. You just got unlucky.

They wouldn't be plastered everywhere as being excellent if loads of people had failures.

Last edited:
Soldato
C1 77” vs. C2 77”

+£700 difference. Worth it?

(Mostly dark room, night viewing. 90% movies/TV and 10% PS5 gaming).

Coming from a 65” LG C8.

Not really. largely incremental upgrades really which while better is not really £700 better IMO.

What prices are you comparing looking at. other Last year panels have come down too from Sony, Panasonic etc.

Associate
I was initially planning on a 65” G2 but value the move to 77” for more immersion. At this stage I think Ive already convinced myself on the 77” C2 as £700 is negligible really for the lifespan of the TV (I wont be upgrading for another 3 years or so I imagine).

I’ll be taking advantage of the LG members club June promo. So £2227 for C1 or £2932 for C2. (PS - sadly they wouldnt honour the better promo that you kindly helped me with. This one I think works to -17% off based on buying 2 LG products, hence a £60 DVD player purchase which I’ll give to charity shop)

Important to add I do need a TV right now and cannot wait longer. My C8 is sadly dead. RIP sweet prince, you served me well.

Back
Top Bottom