LG 2021 OLEDs (C1, G1 etc)

Associate
I have had my C1 for a few days and I am not gonna lie. I have been underwhelmed by it so far. This not my first Oled either I was an early adopter when Oleds first came out and was blown away by the B6. I can't quite put my finger on it why I am not impressed by this set. I am gonna give this another week and if I can't get on with it I will go get the Sony a90j as that blew me away. It like even when setting to the same as Rtings and HDTV it is so dark and at least to me is a step backwards from my B6. I am sure the B6 at the time never got as bright as the Samsung equivalents at the time but not once did I ever feel the need for it to be brighter.

Associate
I have had my C1 for a few days and I am not gonna lie. I have been underwhelmed by it so far. This not my first Oled either I was an early adopter when Oleds first came out and was blown away by the B6. I can't quite put my finger on it why I am not impressed by this set. I am gonna give this another week and if I can't get on with it I will go get the Sony a90j as that blew me away. It like even when setting to the same as Rtings and HDTV it is so dark and at least to me is a step backwards from my B6. I am sure the B6 at the time never got as bright as the Samsung equivalents at the time but not once did I ever feel the need for it to be brighter.
What settings are you using , and you have turned eco off ?

Soldato
You’re clearly doing something wrong. I’ve had my C9 over a year and still sometimes get blown away by the image when watching something new.

Associate
You’re clearly doing something wrong. I’ve had my C9 over a year and still sometimes get blown away by the image when watching something new.

It is more than possible. When I got my B6 iw as blown away, same for the ipad pro and s21 ultra although sammies have had oled from the beginning and hdr for many years. This is the first oled out of the box that just didn't wow me.

Your name seems very familar to me. Don;t suppose you to be in a Battlefield 2 clan called 50 klicks did you a long time ago?

Soldato
What's QD OLED?

OLED with a quantum dot filter - I believe they’re more efficient at letting light pass through :)

Edit:

More reading suggests that to produce light, they’re using a blue LED as a source and using quantum dots to produce red and green, resulting in higher brightness and without the need of the additional white sub pixel.

Should hopefully mean better efficiency and lower manufacturing costs.

Last edited:
Associate
Samsung will be selling 55 and 65 inch QD OLED TVs next year Vincent believes they will be priced higher than LG OLED TVs and will be 8k panels

there is no point going to 8K at this moment because there is no 8K content. most modern games is still stuck at 4K and many other games are still in 1080p

Soldato
I'm using vivid for the picture. All the others seem too dark. That's on a G1.
I use Cinema/Cinema/Cinema Home for SDR/HDR/DV. Cinema Home on DV to activate Dolby Vision IQ as it's the picture mode to activate it. And Game mode for all gaming.

They are all good brightness to me and accuracy is good. Game mode I had to calibrate using an X-Rite device and Calman Home.

Soldato
I joined the C1 club on Saturday and whilst it is undoubtedly a superb set I have struggled with the calibration of the image.

I have followed the settings outlined by rtings and “Vincent” on YouTube but both produce a picture which seems a dull brown colour, the colours don’t seem to pop for me.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want anything as bright as the vivid preset but something closer to standard would be nice.

Anyone have any recommended settings?

This display will be used for mainly PS5 and Xbox Series X consoles. The odd movie may be watched via Plex on both of these systems too.. although I may purchase a fire TV style box to replay Plex through.

Soldato
I joined the C1 club on Saturday and whilst it is undoubtedly a superb set I have struggled with the calibration of the image.

I have followed the settings outlined by rtings and “Vincent” on YouTube but both produce a picture which seems a dull brown colour, the colours don’t seem to pop for me.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want anything as bright as the vivid preset but something closer to standard would be nice.

Anyone have any recommended settings?

This display will be used for mainly PS5 and Xbox Series X consoles. The odd movie may be watched via Plex on both of these systems too.. although I may purchase a fire TV style box to replay Plex through.

I haven't used these settings myself yet but I'm planning to. These are from Phil Hinton @ AVForums

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom