Feek's macOS useful tools, utilities and applications thread

Caporegime
As a new user to Mac OS shortcuts have been my mountain to climb from PC. Found a nice little program to show me all a program I am currently using short cuts just by holding option key...

Free. Made using Lightroom and even safari so much easier.

So a question, I used to use a free program ccleaner on my pc, any good free ones for Mac? Or one that doesn't cost the earth for a bit of maintenance every now and then.

Commissario
OP
So a question, I used to use a free program ccleaner on my pc, any good free ones for Mac? Or one that doesn't cost the earth for a bit of maintenance every now and then.
I know it's a generalisation to say this but you don't need one. macOS doesn't really pick up crap like Windows, there's no registry to get stuffed full of rubbish. If you uninstall something from macOS, the only thing likely to be left is a handful of preference files which won't affect the OS like a bloated registry.

If you ever feel the need to clear caches or anything like that then grab Onyx but it's not something you need to do, the OS doesn't need a bit of maintenance every now and then. Avoid cleanmymac like the plague.

Soldato
As a new user to Mac OS shortcuts have been my mountain to climb from PC. Found a nice little program to show me all a program I am currently using short cuts just by holding option key...

That looks good. I don't really use many shortcut keys in general but it'll certainly speed up some things I do. Thanks for the link.

Soldato

Thanks Danny

Soldato
Before I buy them, does anyone know if Rectangle Pro and Path Finder are the best tools for the job or is something else better?

Also, is the Screenshot application in macOS the best option for screen recording, or is there something else I can use?

Man of Honour
Why do you need Pro? The free version works perfectly fine.

I do like Pathfinder, but I don’t like that I can’t hide Finder. Hence I’ll likely not buy it.

The macOS in built screenshot tool does everything I need including screen recording.

Soldato
Ref the screen recording thing, it really depends what you're doing. I spend most of my life writing stuff so screen shots & recordings are a daily thing - so I use something called Cleanshot X. It's an annual sub (gah I hate them) at about 90 quid a year but it's not my money (aha..) and it's brilliantly useful.

As a sidenote I think SetApp has Pathfinder and Cleanshot (perhaps not Pro) in it - may want to check that out as depending on your collection of apps it could work out cheaper.

Soldato
Yup, I paid 60US$ for it. Looking at my invoices though the first one was 30$+UK VAT so I think there may have been some promo on for it. Weirdly, if you look at the full pricing, my Edu version for one account works on all my Macs? I didn't realise they charged per unit - I've certainly only bought one.

Ignore me, seems the extra units are charged at US$2.49/month.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Screw it, just bought it. For what I currently use (and already have licenses for) it's probably cost me more money for the few apps I want to use from their catalogue. However, I get to try out loads of other apps which I probably currently don't know that I need if that makes sense.

Soldato
Screw it, just bought it. For what I currently use (and already have licenses for) it's probably cost me more money for the few apps I want to use from their catalogue. However, I get to try out loads of other apps which I probably currently don't know that I need if that makes sense.
I'm going to get it as well. It looks good.

Man of Honour
Does SetApp allow multiple devices? I would pay if I can use it on my home and work Macs.
Yes but you need one of the more expensive plans.

They also do a 2 Mac plan without iOS, but you need to have an account to see it I think as it's not on the pricing part of their site.

Screenshot-2022-06-21-at-12-51-55.png

I'm off work until October so I'll likely change my plan then.

Back
Top Bottom