When are you going fully electric?

Caporegime
Normally tow limits are due to weight as well. Puny brakes + very heavy cars + heavy trailer?

Apparently Rivian solves this by putting the electric motors in reverse when towing to help slow the car down.
That’s what regen is. All EVs do that

And yes most OEMs haven’t bother with the homologation testing to get a EV to tow bigger weights. They are already heavy cars. Even the Cupra born with a 77kWh had to drop a rear seat to avoid the car being too heavy on initial versions.

Soldato
There are some envelope cases aswell. Ie a full battery starting a trip at high elevation has real issues coming down the hill with no where for the battery to go hence need massive brakes for that use case that some simple wont fit as it’s an extreme case.

So you end up with towing rating all over the place depending what requirements or standard the manufacturer are holding themselves too.

Soldato
Yeah it’s the lack of noise and most EV pitch a fair bit, combined with instant regen when you lift off. This is why I don’t like high regen on EVs
I've got my sport mode defaulted to Level 1 regen on my Kona which is roughly equivalent to engine braking on an ICE car. I can also use the paddles to quickly turn regen off so when I come off the accelerator it just coasts rather than go into full regen/any regen at all.

Associate
I've got my sport mode defaulted to Level 1 regen on my Kona which is roughly equivalent to engine braking on an ICE car. I can also use the paddles to quickly turn regen off so when I come off the accelerator it just coasts rather than go into full regen/any regen at all.
Like yours my Mg5 can have the regen turned up and down as well, if at 100% charge then no regen occurs and you coast as though in neutral.
Braking distance from 60mph for my car(35m) isn't great but it's the same as a kia i30 n which is billed as a hot hatch.
Weight wise mine is 1595ish kg and the i30 n is 1504kg - someone much have fitted puny ev brakes to the i30 n:D
A current 320d estate is just shy of 1800kg, so how is my ev "heavy".

Legally my car can't tow a slug, but I'm sure it could. Well 500kg is the stated limit.

Like most forums, I'm amazed at the experts who either don't work in the field or have an EV to test their theories.

Soldato
shows they tail off too. But instant torque is their party piece as we know. We won’t mention your exaggerated torque numbers though ;)

Depends how you test and conditions
The Performance Centre (UK) tested a standard P2 at 723Nm in July last year. (before the Performance Update). Also, Masha mentioned the cold temps in that video impacting the performance numbers.

51416863520_a4a7e71f3f_o.jpg
[/url]

Soldato
Surely it's worth noting that most (all?) EVs will be running a reduction gear on the end of the motor, which also multiplies torque by the same factor as I understand. According to an online calc the wheels on my Kona will be doing 895rpm at 70mph - I believe most reductions will be in the range of 7-10:1?

EDIT: In fact that begs the question that, if the torque is multiplied by the reduction factor (which I understand it is), then my Kona is technically sending 4000Nm to the wheels when the motor is outputting 400Nm of torque, assuming a 10:1 reduction?

EDIT 2: Reduction gear is 7.981 on the Kona (according to Hyundai docs), so 395Nm of torque out of the motor means just over 3000Nm sent to the wheels....

Last edited:
Soldato
Or the listed 400Nm is measured at the wheel not the motor?

The Megane EV is catchign my eye. Our second car is hardly getting any use at the moment so tempted to get a slightly larger EV than the e-208 we currently have and ditch the big gas guzzler entirely. Maybe buy an old hot hatch to act as an emergency backup when we need 2 cars.

Caporegime
My cupra born V2 order is now end October eta. Hope it’s not delayed but was a pre price increase zenith order on a SS scheme

Quite a few on the fb page in stock at dealers too if anyone got 40k cash burning a hole in their pocket.

Soldato
Or the listed 400Nm is measured at the wheel not the motor?

The Megane EV is catchign my eye. Our second car is hardly getting any use at the moment so tempted to get a slightly larger EV than the e-208 we currently have and ditch the big gas guzzler entirely. Maybe buy an old hot hatch to act as an emergency backup when we need 2 cars.
Seems unlikely the motors would only be producing 50Nm of torque :p

Agreed, the Megane EV does look really nice. Interior looks good too - the Android Automotive seems to run really well on a few vids I've watched on YouTube.

Caporegime
Nice - I saw A Born last week and it looked good - Better than the ID3 it's based on.
Yeh. Interior is miles better reviews are good and the V2 58kWh has a good range of options. V3 seats much better but the 20s look a bit crap close up and not worth £40 a month

I did have a mini l2 on order but kept getting delayed then I realised the 100-120mile range and no rear doors would annoy me. Was only £220 a month though

Associate
Soldato
I suppose they can always catch the train if they run out of charge!
police using teslas in the usa didn't run out of charge, video of recent chase, officer couldn't engage reverse fast enough in the tesla to block the other car in

Agree seems the pick of the bunch especially with its low weight, some controversy on the touch screen size being smaller in the uk than europe (9vs11 I thought)
new reviews of Astra22's saloon/estate still say that will be available in full electric next year too, so, more cars in the sub-premium/affordable segment,
with new car delays sounds as though you must be prepared to reserve even before cars have been reviewed/off-plan

Back
Top Bottom