opinions of the hp ProLiant microserver gen 10

Associate
hi i am currently using an old pc with an amd A10 6700 as a home nas setup and was looking at a gen8 of the above range and adding a xeon cpu to it, but thinking they are getting a bit old now and the only thing putting me off the gen 10 is the fixed cpu, so anyone push me one way or another ?
Thanks

Soldato
hi i am currently using an old pc with an amd A10 6700 as a home nas setup and was looking at a gen8 of the above range and adding a xeon cpu to it, but thinking they are getting a bit old now and the only thing putting me off the gen 10 is the fixed cpu, so anyone push me one way or another ?
Thanks

Do you need an over priced pet baby dinosaur? Because that’s what a Gen8 is at this point. £100 buys you an 8th gen i3 ex corp box, it’s roughly £200/16TB for drives, you get a modern CPU, DDR4, reasonably useful iGPU for transcodes/encoding work/CCTV etc. a little more gets you nicer things with more bays. The Gen10 was just an abomination.

Associate
OP
Do you need an over priced pet baby dinosaur? Because that’s what a Gen8 is at this point. £100 buys you an 8th gen i3 ex corp box, it’s roughly £200/16TB for drives, you get a modern CPU, DDR4, reasonably useful iGPU for transcodes/encoding work/CCTV etc. a little more gets you nicer things with more bays. The Gen10 was just an abomination.
Thanks I have the new drives and like the way you are going any more info on the corp box ?
Thanks

Soldato
Thanks I have the new drives and like the way you are going any more info on the corp box ?
Thanks

A well know auction site, generally start from £100 upwards BIN in SFF/desktop guise, will be pretty quiet/silent as designed for an office environment, usually reasonably power efficient (read PSU’s are adequate, not overly specified), can be custom motherboards (awkward if you want to swap cases later on), avoid the SFF/compact stuff if possible as you need more drive bays. Dell/HP/Lenovo etc. or pick up a board + CPU and build in a case of your choice, I paid £40 for an i3-8100/Asrock MATX board + stock cooler recently, if you look, you will find bargains sooner or later.

Associate
OP
A well know auction site, generally start from £100 upwards BIN in SFF/desktop guise, will be pretty quiet/silent as designed for an office environment, usually reasonably power efficient (read PSU’s are adequate, not overly specified), can be custom motherboards (awkward if you want to swap cases later on), avoid the SFF/compact stuff if possible as you need more drive bays. Dell/HP/Lenovo etc. or pick up a board + CPU and build in a case of your choice, I paid £40 for an i3-8100/Asrock MATX board + stock cooler recently, if you look, you will find bargains sooner or later.
Thanks for all your help I now know what you meant and will have a look
Thanks

Don
I have a few Gen8s that I run, they are good, yes expensive but not when you consider what you get with them...

I have been looking at the Gen10 plus but is far too expensive if you want the Xeon version

Stelly

Soldato
GEN 10 is a poor enterprise server with no PSU redundancy and no iLO but I still like my little server here I use for some file sharing. Probably overkill for a home server though but very robust.

This post reminded me it still exists and as I have room in a server rack so I just moved it in there as it's spent the last 3 years sat under a desk.

Associate
OP
Thanks everyone I think I will stick with my old A10 for now in an old pc case in a bedroom cupboard as it just works

Back
Top Bottom