• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which would OCUK choose 5600x, 5700x or 5800x 3d

Associate
Hi all. I'm looking for a bit of advice about the upgrade I'm currently doing for my PC and that of my partner. I've already got hold of a couple of Asus Rog Strix B500-F motherboards but I just cannot decide which CPU to buy. Now we're both gamers and we are still both using an old ryzen 1600 in our systems so whichever CPU we choose is still going to be a big improvement for us.

Now I could buy a couple of 5600x and save a ton of cash. It would be a fairly good upgrade from what we currently have but at the end of the day I'd only be moving from a 6 core/12 thread CPU to another 6 core/12 thread CPU, so it feels more like a sidegrade if you will.

The next option is the 5800x 3d. Buying a couple of these would be a massive upgrade to what we currently have and it would be reasonably future proof, we wouldnt need to upgrade again for years to come. However they're quite expensive and the price only seems to be increasing.

And lastly the 5700X. While not as powerful as the 5800x 3d it'd still be a major improvement over what we currently have, and with the added bonus that I could almost buy two of these for the price of one 5800x 3d.

So OCUKers if you were upgrading from an old Ryzen 1600 which of the above would you choose and why?

Soldato
Ryzen 1600 to 5600x might be the same core and thread count, but it is a pretty hefty upgrade still. What GPUs are you using and what games at what resolution? The 5800X3D would be a good choice if you have a high end GPU, but probably not such a requirement if not, where the 5600X would be ample with a mid-range GPU.

Associate
OP
I'm currently using a Powercolour 5700 while my girlfriend is still using an old RX 480. We'd both be gaming at 2560x1440 resolution so that's why I was looking at upgrading them both to a either a Radeon 6800 or 6800xt as the prices seem to be getting more reasonable now.

I felt that a 6800 or 6800xt would be a reasonably good match with a 5600x, 5700x or even a 5800x 3d.

Associate
My take, 2x 5600x, great chips , dead easy to overclock in curve optimiser, flog the RX480, use the hundreds of ££s saved on CPUs and GPU sale money to upgrade your GFX card and drop the 5700 into the partners machine. At the res you are playing at, pretty sure that will give you by far the best upgrade for your money.

Associate
Unless you're doing something demanding other than gaming (i.e. streaming/video editing + rendering), then 6 cores is probably fine for now, but if you want to maximise longevity then I'd agree with welshrat.
Both the new gen consoles are 8 cores so 6 MIGHT start to feel limiting in a few years time, so the 5700x would be a good fit

Soldato
If you want the best of both worlds then go for the 5700X, it packs a punch while offering that extra futureproofing with the 2 extra cores over the 5600X and is almost half the price of the X3D with what would only be around a 5% performance deficit at 1440p on either of the 2 Gpus your interested in.

Associate
OP
Can I ask why you bought new motherboards? If you already have 1600's then just update the BIOS and pop the new CPU's in them, and save the cash.
I decided to buy new motherboards because I thought I could use the old parts to build an entertainment PC for the bedroom that way we can watch some Netflix or Amazon Prime, watch a bluray, play the odd steam game, that sort of thing.

What do you play? The first question should always be "what do you want to do?", then choose the best tool for the job.

The games we usually play are coop games such as Fallout 76, Raft, Vermintide 1 & 2, Valheim, Aliens Fireteam, Borderlands 1 & 2 and 7 Days to die. But I also play Fallout 4 (And soon Fallout 4 VR as well as Skyrim VR), Civilisation, Chaos Gate Daemonhunters, Mass effect remastered, Bannerlord etc.

Man of Honour
The games we usually play are coop games such as Fallout 76, Raft, Vermintide 1 & 2, Valheim, Aliens Fireteam, Borderlands 1 & 2 and 7 Days to die. But I also play Fallout 4 (And soon Fallout 4 VR as well as Skyrim VR), Civilisation, Chaos Gate Daemonhunters, Mass effect remastered, Bannerlord etc.

IME the biggest bottleneck in 7 days to die is the amount of memory (and then the speed of the drive you have your pagefile on). It's very inefficient in memory usage and the devs have no intention of doing anything about that until it's out of beta (which will be about 20 years from now at the current rate given that it's been in alpha for over 9 years). 16GB is nowhere near enough. I'm not sure that 32GB would be. Even my old PC is ample for 7DTD until it runs out of memory and starts using the swapfile, then it stutters. Initially I had the swapfile fixed at 10GB (a legacy from back when I had a tiny capacity early SSD and I'd forgotten to change it when I upgraded) and that limit of 26GB caused 7DTD to crash frequently. It's even worse when you mod it with anything major, especially large POIs. I recommend the Darkness Falls mod, which is so much harder than vanilla it's a culture shock. Ever thought "I wish the zombies were 20 feet tall, had >2000hp, regenerated health at an enormous rate and had ranged weapons that set you on fire?" If so, Darkness Falls is for you.

7DTD is a perfect example of why this:
What do you play? The first question should always be "what do you want to do?", then choose the best tool for the job.
is a very good approach.

Don
Ryzen 1600 to 5600x might be the same core and thread count, but it is a pretty hefty upgrade still.
Over 50% more single thread performance, and almost double the multithreaded performance.

Now I could buy a couple of 5600x and save a ton of cash. It would be a fairly good upgrade from what we currently have but at the end of the day I'd only be moving from a 6 core/12 thread CPU to another 6 core/12 thread CPU, so it feels more like a sidegrade if you will.
It may still be a 6 core CPU, but the extra 1Ghz of clock speed and architecture improvements mean it's certainly not a sidegrade :D

Associate
OP
IME the biggest bottleneck in 7 days to die is the amount of memory (and then the speed of the drive you have your pagefile on). It's very inefficient in memory usage and the devs have no intention of doing anything about that until it's out of beta (which will be about 20 years from now at the current rate given that it's been in alpha for over 9 years). 16GB is nowhere near enough. I'm not sure that 32GB would be. Even my old PC is ample for 7DTD until it runs out of memory and starts using the swapfile, then it stutters. Initially I had the swapfile fixed at 10GB (a legacy from back when I had a tiny capacity early SSD and I'd forgotten to change it when I upgraded) and that limit of 26GB caused 7DTD to crash frequently. It's even worse when you mod it with anything major, especially large POIs. I recommend the Darkness Falls mod, which is so much harder than vanilla it's a culture shock. Ever thought "I wish the zombies were 20 feet tall, had >2000hp, regenerated health at an enormous rate and had ranged weapons that set you on fire?" If so, Darkness Falls is for you.

7DTD is a perfect example of why this:

is a very good approach.
The stuttering on 7 days to die is a proper pita but I'm hoping having 32gb of memory installed will reduce the problem somewhat.

Your preaching to the converted about Darkness Falls mod as we've been playing it for a couple of years now. The only time we play vanilla 7days to die is when a new alpha version gets released and we're waiting for Khaine to update the mod.

Over 50% more single thread performance, and almost double the multithreaded performance.

It may still be a 6 core CPU, but the extra 1Ghz of clock speed and architecture improvements mean it's certainly not a sidegrade :D
Well it's now a done deal. We ordered a couple of 5700x CPU's, two be quiet CPU coolers, ram and PSU from OCUK.
Now just need to find the time to build the systems...

Soldato
I'm doing the same dilemma, coming from a 3700X. I don't really want to lose cores, I think eight is a good sweet spot, but I feel both the 5700X and 5800X3D are overpriced for what they are, whereas there's some good deals to be had on the 5600X.

I think i'm going to wait this one out a little, surely the price of the two eight cores has to drop at some stage, right? I mean i'm hoping thatAMD are going to want to start clearing stock for the arrival of their AM5 processors.

Caporegime
I'm doing the same dilemma, coming from a 3700X. I don't really want to lose cores, I think eight is a good sweet spot, but I feel both the 5700X and 5800X3D are overpriced for what they are, whereas there's some good deals to be had on the 5600X.

I think i'm going to wait this one out a little, surely the price of the two eight cores has to drop at some stage, right? I mean i'm hoping thatAMD are going to want to start clearing stock for the arrival of their AM5 processors.
I wouldn't jump from a 3700X to a 5600X. Personally, I'd aim higher than that.

Back
Top Bottom