New AMD X670(E)/B650 motherboards - do they have USB4 or not?

Associate
I have seen lots of boards states that they have USB 3.2 2x2.
And MSI make ambiguous statements like: "Front USB Type-C supports PD 60W"

Is this a similar situation to the the Rembrandt laptops where many manufacturers couldn't announce their products as supporting USB4 on launch, because they hadn't yet been able to formally test and register them against USB4 compliance criteria?
This is what happened to the early 6600H/6800H laptops from Asus.

i.e. We can expect the Asmedia X670(E)/B650 chipset to provide USB4 support, but we'll just have wait before they're allowed to say so.

Or, does the chipset not support it, but we can expect the X670(E)/B650 motherboards to provide USB4 outputs via the Zen4 package itself?

Man of Honour
Seems like AMD don't want to say yet:

TPU: You announced USB4 on Rembrandt, but we haven't seen anything about it on the Zen 4 slides.

Robert Hallock: We'll get into USB configurations later in the summer, but you should have already seen some motherboards announced with USB4 support, I think from Gigabyte this week.

Associate
liking the feature set of these boards looks like its planned for long socket support :)
MSI X570 Unify
I see that you too are a fan of well specced and performance focussed motherboards. Love the Unify. Should have purchased the Unify or Unify-X instead of the Tomahawk.

Moved to the B550i strix because I wanted the smaller form factor and better RAM overclocking.

PeegeeTips I'm sure that USB4 will be a thing for AMD, it's starting to become more common on AMD systems.​

Soldato
I see that you too are a fan of well specced and performance focussed motherboards. Love the Unify. Should have purchased the Unify or Unify-X instead of the Tomahawk.

Moved to the B550i strix because I wanted the smaller form factor and better RAM overclocking.

PeegeeTips I'm sure that USB4 will be a thing for AMD, it's starting to become more common on AMD systems.​

Yeah I usually try to get med/high boards more so with AMD as they tend to support the socket longer and wanted three m.2 slots , it was on offer at the time around £250 issue I do have issue with the onboard sound has messed up like its really low quality and has interference I dont use it so can live without it , displayport audio out from the monitor to speakers and headset has its own onboard sound but think I have 2 years left warranty only thing would be without computer to use doing the RMA and hassle of removing everything :(

Also I do like MSI center I pretty much control all the RGB within it and works well and very lightweight :)

Associate
Yeah I usually try to get med/high boards more so with AMD as they tend to support the socket longer and wanted three m.2 slots , it was on offer at the time around £250 issue I do have issue with the onboard sound has messed up like its really low quality and has interference I dont use it so can live without it , displayport audio out from the monitor to speakers and headset has its own onboard sound but think I have 2 years left warranty only thing would be without computer to use doing the RMA and hassle of removing everything :(

Also I do like MSI center I pretty much control all the RGB within it and works well and very lightweight :)
Yeah I haven't used onboard audio in nearly 5 plus years. Not worth the effort.

I like MSi too. Not loving asus as much as other people do but hey, beats Asrock.

Caporegime
This is actually a concern for me, I ideally don't want to buy a new mobo without USB 4.0 if I end up getting a 78003DX. You would think USB 4.0 would be ready for prime time by now.

Associate
Looks like Asus boards have it and Gigabyte via an add in card.

Caporegime
Looks like Asus boards have it and Gigabyte via an add in card.

Oh wow thanks... the ROG Crosshair Extreme has everything but the kitchen sink... bet it costs an arm and a leg! :D

Soldato
What's the deal with USB4? Is it because you can charge your phone or something rather than anything related to the PC performance itself?

Associate
OP
in the age of cheap 2TB nvme drives transferring at 7GB/s plus it's nice not to have your external storage transfer stalling at ~1GB/s.

and because USB 3.2 2x2 is an orphan standard that will never see mass adoption - and is not even a fallback speed for USB4 (goes back to 10Gbps) - then you are looking at a 4x drop in IO speed by not getting your shiny new rig with USB4.

Last edited:
Soldato

The only one that mentions USB4.0 in that article is the Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme but I'd imagine more boards will have it.

The x670e hero also has usb4

But gigabyte and Msi boards do not even top ones

It looks like only Asus is offering usb4 with x670, so you know your choices

Soldato
So it's not provided by the CPU/chipset? Bit of a shame if it's limited to the high end.

Sorry you are not allowed to ask questions on this forum for asking questions. @Richdog will put a Reddit level snarky reply even though you wanted a personal response, not a Google generated one.

I suspect these mobos with it will all be £300 plus too. Then again, if this socket is going to last as long as am4 did then I didn't really mind buying a high-end motherboard.

Caporegime
Sorry you are not allowed to ask questions on this forum for asking questions. @Richdog will put a Reddit level snarky reply even though you wanted a personal response, not a Google generated one.

I suspect these mobos with it will all be £300 plus too. Then again, if this socket is going to last as long as am4 did then I didn't really mind buying a high-end motherboard.
Sorry for the snark but your "What is USB 4.0" question was rather lazy and people shouldn't need to give you "personal replies" to basic stuff that takes 2 seconds for you to answer with a "google generated" one. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry for the snark but your "What is USB 4.0" question was rather lazy and people shouldn't need to give you "personal replies" to basic stuff that takes 2 seconds for you to answer with a "google generated" one. :p

I didn't ask what it is, I said "what's the deal" as in why do you guys care about it in this context. I then asked if it was because you wanted to charge your phones as I knew it supplied a higher voltage. Any way, perhaps my fault as well for not being clearer, it is what it is.

Back
Top Bottom