• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How do you plan on buying a 4000 GPU? (if you plan at all)

Associate
The RTX 3000 launch was a disaster for me personally, by the time the site loaded normally, the whole stock was gone (and because I was focused on OcUK, same for every other place). After that I was just unlucky probably, but couldn't find any at reasonable prices for a year, so I decided to wait patiently for the new generation.

Now I don't think there's a better place to ask this, as this community, but do you have some kind of plan to at least try to overtake the bots?

Thinking about using:
  • multiple devices
  • multiple networks
  • being patient for the site to load, or refresh if it feels stuck
  • etc.
Anything specific you will do?

If I wouldn't play VR, maybe I'd wait more or at least for the prices to drop, but it's unlikely to happen too soon, so want to try my best this time. Thanks!

Associate
The RTX 3000 launch was a disaster for me personally, by the time the site loaded normally, the whole stock was gone (and because I was focused on OcUK, same for every other place). After that I was just unlucky probably, but couldn't find any at reasonable prices for a year, so I decided to wait patiently for the new generation.

Now I don't think there's a better place to ask this, as this community, but do you have some kind of plan to at least try to overtake the bots?

Thinking about using:
  • multiple devices
  • multiple networks
  • etc.

If I wouldn't play VR, maybe I'd wait more or at least for the prices to drop, but it's unlikely to happen too soon, so want to try my best this time. Thanks!

there's nothing you can do to beat the bots is there? i'll just be ready for when my email/app alerts me to stock. i'm not going to sit there F5'ing a site. if i haven't bought a 4090 by 2pm on the 12th, i will visit OC site at the time the 4090's go live (2pm).

Associate

How do you plan on buying a 4000 GPU?​

Probably after a couple of months, after the dust has settled, after AMD have announced, a few benchmarks have hit, and maybe we're not being given "**** we have a glut of 30 series" prices. If there's availability at that point. If there's not, then the world's still borked and I'll hang on to the 2080Ti for a while longer.

Soldato

Thinking about using:
  • multiple devices
  • multiple networks
  • etc.

I managed to grab one early and ha emt regretted it at all and it will be the same with a 4090..

Soldato
Do they go live at 2PM at NVidia at well?

I still think I want to go for the FE first, I'm still concerned about the PSU situation, I've got a Corsair 1600i so I should be fine but I'm just confused because some cards draw more than 600w (I think.)

But I want one, I won't wait, FE then need to have a backup plan and I guess last resort would be a strix OC as I'm assuming they will stay in stock longest due to the price?! Not even sure if that thing would fit in my evo haha.

Last time I managed to get a 3090 from a different site as I had something (can't remember the name of it) that checked if a website changed anything on it, the site changed and I ordered a card for click and collect. Got it the next day. Ended up nabbing a FE a week or so later and selling the original card at cost to a guy on here.

Soldato
I want to know how these cards perform first. Nvidia has just given us smoke and mirrors so far.

I also remember how some 3000 series cards ended up being more desirable than others for reasons that didn't come to light until reviewers and consumers got hands-on with them.

I'm not feeling the FOMO this time. This time it's more FOBR (Fear Of Buyer's Remorse) than anything.

Last edited:
Associate
Do they go live at 2PM at NVidia at well?

I still think I want to go for the FE first, I'm still concerned about the PSU situation, I've got a Corsair 1600i so I should be fine but I'm just confused because some cards draw more than 600w (I think.)

But I want one, I won't wait, FE then need to have a backup plan and I guess last resort would be a strix OC as I'm assuming they will stay in stock longest due to the price?! Not even sure if that thing would fit in my evo haha.

Last time I managed to get a 3090 from a different site as I had something (can't remember the name of it) that checked if a website changed anything on it, the site changed and I ordered a card for click and collect. Got it the next day. Ended up nabbing a FE a week or so later and selling the original card at cost to a guy on here.

On the 4090FE they reportedly fix the major power spikes so for PSU I would just go for their recommendation of minimum 850W.
FE has a TDP of 450W, so for the 600W AIB GPUs just add on 150W, so the minimum recommended for those GPUs should be 1000W.

But like you said you'd be more than fine with 1600W.

So for the 4090 I'd recommend a good Platinum 1000W PSU to be on the safe side if you were going for the 600W cards, more if you OC the CPU as well.

Soldato
For the first time in well over a decade I am not buying an Nvidia GPU. The only card that would offer me an actual upgrade from a 3080 is the 4090, I'm not paying $900-$1200 for a 4060 or 4070 and they've effectively decided not to release a real 4080 this season.

If I didn't have a 3 series already I would probably buy a 3 series now as the price/performance of the 4 series is not very impressive

Last edited:
Associate
On the 4090FE they reportedly fix the major power spikes so for PSU I would just go for their recommendation of minimum 850W.
FE has a TDP of 450W, so for the 600W AIB GPUs just add on 150W, so the minimum recommended for those GPUs should be 1000W.

But like you said you'd be more than fine with 1600W.

So for the 4090 I'd recommend a good Platinum 1000W PSU to be on the safe side if you were going for the 600W cards, more if you OC the CPU as well.
I have a dark power platinum 850w. Will that be enough for the FE4090?

Associate
I'll be F5ing all the sites at just before 2pm with credit card in hand

I've still got a 1080 Ti and feeling it's showing its age as I'm running a 3840x1600 144Hz monitor now.
Unfortunately it's a G Sync monitor so locked into the Nvidia ecosystem.

I can't bring myself to pay £650 for a 3080 in 2022. The tech is 2 years old and still selling at RRP.

So not much choice but to splash out on a 4090.
Hopefully manage to grab an FE card as the AIB ones will be much more expensive.

Soldato
I'll be F5ing all the sites at just before 2pm with credit card in hand

I've still got a 1080 Ti and feeling it's showing its age as I'm running a 3840x1600 144Hz monitor now.
Unfortunately it's a G Sync monitor so locked into the Nvidia ecosystem.

I can't bring myself to pay £650 for a 3080 in 2022. The tech is 2 years old and still selling at RRP.

So not much choice but to splash out on a 4090.
Hopefully manage to grab an FE card as the AIB ones will be much more expensive.

Make sure you have accounts on the sites, with CC details saved. Makes the process quicker and easier.

Looks like you have the AW38 monitor? Nice. Same as me, I’ve been fine with the 3080 for a while now, a 4090 would be pretty epic.

Caporegime
people should be voting with there feet, so to speak.

As long as crazy individuals are willing to pay such prices Nvidia Will carry on charging them.

£1000 should be High end gfx card price imo, and even that price is still high.
probably be big discounts when AMD launch something and better cards so the early NVIdia buyers will buy the 4090ti after.

gotta milk cash cows them more than once

Associate
I was planning on buying one until I started measuring my case (Razer S340). It is not wide enough to fit any of those 4090's lol! Oh and my PSU is only 850W, oh well.

I think we will have a lot of stock on launch day, maybe even collecting dust as upgrading to a 4090 requires a lot more money and effort, which I am not willing to do and I assume a lot of other people won't as well.

Back
Top Bottom