• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How do you plan on buying a 4000 GPU? (if you plan at all)

Associate
Im running the exact same resolution, refresh rate and GPU... and Cyberpunk aside... I cant think of a single game where more FPS would be worth spending any money.
And even Cyberpunk... let Geforce Experience take care of the settings, and it looks great and runs good. Sure if you bring up the FPS counter it dips below 60... but once your playing its all good.

Yes, I feel the same to be honest. I couldn’t justify the purchase. But I could also just as easily see me spending that cash if it was sat there. Value for money doesn’t always enter my mind when it comes to gaming.

Associate
Eh?
How does its age have anything to do with value for money. Just because the 40 series lauches, does not make the 30 or older cards suddenly un-able to play games.

Claiming that the 4080 is a bad proposition, and so the only choice is the 4090 is also a bizarre stance. Neither card has launched. We have seen no real benchmarks.
We havent seen what AMD is going to bring.

You make out like you need to buy a GPU right the very second you can on the 12th October.
Why not wait? Wait for AMD to respond. Wait for the 4080 to actual hit shelves.
Wait to see what happens with reviews. See how well these cards end up performing in the games you plan to play.

In 2 months time, you could still go ahead and buy a 4090 if that turns out to be the best card for what you want. At least at that point you will have data, rather than blind-buying a near £2000 GPU...

I cant imagine even a 4090 is enough to run 3x 4K. Not without help from DLSS or turning settings down...

For point 2.), why buy a GPU for a headset that does not exist yet? By the time it does... who knows what GPU tech is out there?

How does point 3.) need a 4090?

Sure the 3080 series is still a good performer but tech is supposed to go down in price over time, not stay at RRP 2 years on.

My thinking is you’re either gonna have to pre-order a 4090 or risk missing out until they restock.

As for blind purchasing, I can pre-order, watch reviews and cancel/return the card if its lacklustre in normal raster performance.

The 4080/4070 are too cut down to be desirable imo. But I guess we'll see.

everyday is a day off for me! i can't work because of illness, my DWP benefits are funding my 4090 :D
i think i'll be the lowest paid 4090 owner :D
(fingers crossed truss increases benefits by inflation)

Wow. I hope you're joking.

Associate
I don't think there is going to be a shortage at these prices, especially given the fact that more people are worried about food and heating right now. I'm waiting to see what AMD are doing and how that impacts price. Unless those prices come down I will not be buying at all.
I don't think AMD will impact the top end Nvidia prices much, what will be more interesting imho is if AMD can outperform the 4090 in rasterization because on paper it looks like they could.

Wish they would get on and share some information you can't tell me they dont know what the performance target is now if they are launching in November...

Associate
Sure the 3080 series is still a good performer but tech is supposed to go down in price over time, not stay at RRP 2 years on.

My thinking is you’re either gonna have to pre-order a 4090 or risk missing out until they restock.

As for blind purchasing, I can pre-order, watch reviews and cancel/return the card if its lacklustre in normal raster performance.

The 4080/4070 are too cut down to be desirable imo. But I guess we'll see.

Wow. I hope you're joking.
not joking.

Associate
Its staggering to me the amount of people on here prepared to blind-buy a £1700 graphics card for gaming??
Especially the ones already running 3090s.
What games are you playing that you are not getting a good experience in to warrant spending so much?

Whats most staggering to me is that they clearly wont be spending any time waiting to see which AIB cards turn out to be the hot picks this time around? As I understand it, the reviews should go up a day or 2 before the launch. Barely enough time to watch a few and get a feeling for whats what.

If I was looking to spend £1700 on a GPU... id want to be dam sure its a good one. I don't want coil-whine, or a crappy cooler. Or even things like ****** RGB software to spoil the purchase.

The 4090 is the first to launch... and while it will be the fastest... will it be worth it over a 4080?
What about AMDs new cards?

I just cant wrap my head around it.
If the 30 series launch taught me anything, its that a fast card is still fast in 3 months time or in 2 years. People turning there nose up at spending £xxx on 30 series card now as if it somehow slow now?

New shiny is always round the corner. And if you hitch your wagon to always having the bleeding edge, your only going to see more of these crazy prices going forward.

Good luck to you day 1 buyers. Cant see it going the way of the 30 series.
For me it’s MSFS which is very demanding. I shall be upgrading from a 3070 and I’m running on 32:9 so not far off a 4k resolution. I admit it’s crazy money but my needs are very focused on MSFS as opposed to other games

Soldato
Eh?
How does its age have anything to do with value for money. Just because the 40 series lauches, does not make the 30 or older cards suddenly un-able to play games.

Claiming that the 4080 is a bad proposition, and so the only choice is the 4090 is also a bizarre stance. Neither card has launched. We have seen no real benchmarks.
We havent seen what AMD is going to bring.

You make out like you need to buy a GPU right the very second you can on the 12th October.
Why not wait? Wait for AMD to respond. Wait for the 4080 to actual hit shelves.
Wait to see what happens with reviews. See how well these cards end up performing in the games you plan to play.

In 2 months time, you could still go ahead and buy a 4090 if that turns out to be the best card for what you want. At least at that point you will have data, rather than blind-buying a near £2000 GPU...

I cant imagine even a 4090 is enough to run 3x 4K. Not without help from DLSS or turning settings down...

For point 2.), why buy a GPU for a headset that does not exist yet? By the time it does... who knows what GPU tech is out there?

How does point 3.) need a 4090?

I have a triple 4K 55'' OLED setup right now so i could do with the power of 4090.
I'll just buy a varjo if no good headsets come on the market. hopefully 4090 can power it.

3. requires a 4090 for triple monitor geo-11 gaming. Geo-11 gaming is essentially stereoscopic 3D at 4K. it requires more GPU grunt power than normal 4K and as I have 3 monitors, even if I upscale from 1440p.. i could really do with as much as graphical grunt as possible.]

most of ur points are reasonable. aka wait for amd, wait for benchmarks. no doubt the most sensible thing to do. but some ppl have the disposable income and the £1600 isnt that much money to them as opposed to waiting months for an inevitable purchase ur gonna make. i think the entire 40 series is sadly a rip off.

my shopping this list for 2022/2023 is likely a YawVR2, 4090 rig, 2080ti second hand, new VR headset better than the index, a HOTAS and a wheel/pedals.. then some atmos speakers and clall it a day

Last edited:
Soldato
So planning on pulling the trigger on the 4090 when it launches.

However getting one in India isn't straight forward, and retailers usually scalp so MRP is simply irrelevant.

The price is whatever they can sell it for.

There are a few 'trusted' retailers I can get one from, who have already emailed me 'proposed' prices.

I was lucky with my 3080 and got one about 6 weeks post launch in 2020 for around 95K INR, which is around 1000 GBP.

In the 6 to 12 months that followed, this price more than doubled over here to 2500 GBP (over 6 months wages for a middle class professional).

4090s are being priced at around 160 to 180k INR here, so just a little under 2000 GBP.

I could try and get one from back home in the UK, but getting it to India safely would be a logistical nightmare.

Associate
Cant work, but can game?

Plenty of jobs (like mine!) is sitting a computer all day from home. Surely that kinda work is possible if gaming is possible?
I have a serious mental illness (schizophrenia) :( it's possible i could do a desk job but my psychiatrist has signed me off sick. but yeah who knows what the future holds, i'm currently on meds and doing well on them :) i certainly have hope i'll return to work 1 day.

Associate
I have a triple 4K 55'' OLED setup right now so i could do with the power of 4090.
I'll just buy a varjo if no good headsets come on the market. hopefully 4090 can power it.

3. requires a 4090 for triple monitor geo-11 gaming. Geo-11 gaming is essentially stereoscopic 3D at 4K. it requires more GPU grunt power than normal 4K and as I have 3 monitors, even if I upscale from 1440p.. i could really do with as much as graphical grunt as possible.]

most of ur points are reasonable. aka wait for amd, wait for benchmarks. no doubt the most sensible thing to do. but some ppl have the disposable income and the £1600 isnt that much money to them as opposed to waiting months for an inevitable purchase ur gonna make. i think the entire 40 series is sadly a rip off.

my shopping this list for 2022/2023 is likely a YawVR2, 4090 rig, 2080ti second hand, new VR headset better than the index, a HOTAS and a wheel/pedals.. then some atmos speakers and clall it a day

Would love to see that setup!

Cant work, but can game?

Plenty of jobs (like mine!) is sitting a computer all day from home. Surely that kinda work is possible if gaming is possible?

Whats your job?

Associate
I have a serious mental illness (schizophrenia) :( it's possible i could do a desk job but my psychiatrist has signed me off sick. but yeah who knows what the future holds, i'm currently on meds and doing well on them :) i certainly have hope i'll return to work 1 day.

Best of luck to you mate :)
I know full well that mental illness is no joke.

Back
Top Bottom