Christmas lunch - what are you cooking and drinking?

Soldato
This thread is making me hungry. I don't usually indulge throughout the year, maybe the odd takeaway but certainly not once a week. I'm also not a big drinker.

That all changes at Christmas. It's the one time I go a bit mad, especially on Christmas day itself

Christmas Eve night (Chinese or fish and chips)

Christmas Day

Budweiser with a terrys chocolate orange (old funny work tradition)
Breakfast full English with champagne
The usual coconut tarts, mince pies, pingles, nuts, chocolates

Christmas Dinner (Turkey with all the usual trimmings)
Xmas pud with whipped cream (my absolute favourite)

Then later in the day, turkey and stuffing rolls with trifle

Boxing Day is turkey curry :D

The trick is to wear jogging bottoms and not jeans

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm working Christmas Day, Boxing Day, the 27th and the 28th so we're having a dinner on Christmas Eve instead, a shoulder of lamb w/ trimmings. Christmas day I'll be having a full English and hopefully walking it off on the walk to work. Then I'll be doing the rounds of all the wards all day because quite a few nurses are avid bakers and bring in the motherload of mince pies, Christmas muffins, gingerbread and other such good stuff.

My diet is on hold for the main two days of Christmas. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Drinks

Sparkling - Juve & Camps Gran Reserva Brut Nature Reserva de la Familia 2016 Cava.
Red - Gusbourne Pinot Noir, Savage Follow the Line, and will pick up some Beaujoulais and another couple of random bottles from Majestic tomorrow.
White - Random bottle or two from Majestic.

Dishoom Cocktail Mix (https://store.dishoom.com/permit-room-collection)
Case of Brewdog mix.
Got a bunch of Overtone beers chilling in the fridge.
Caol Ila 6 for whisky.

Careful... There's people on here get awful judgy about others enjoying alcohol... Wait a minute!! :p

Soldato
Bit **** this year after the OH's sister & husband had to drop out of doing the dinner for just 6 of us, after the other sister found out and caused a row, with the other sister offering me and the OH Christmas dinner down her place. That would be great, apart from the fact she struggles to make toast, let alone a Christmas dinner.

Offered to take the OH to stay at Folkestone for Christmas & Boxing day and eat at Mark Sergeant's new Brasserie and the OH just said No. She is very close to family and has only had two breaks from the usual since we've been together.

Happy Christmas :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Soldato
Well with better news, we've agreed to have our 3rd ever Christmas at home with just us.

Probably left it too late for Donald Russell, but are fortunate enough to have a local farm shop that butchers their own meat.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Starters -

Prawn Cocktail (my mum likes it ok........................) and its the excuse I am using.

Main -
Turkey Crown
Sous Vide Turkey Roulade
Roast Spuds
Brandy Spiced red cabbage
Brussels and Bacon
Pigs in blankets
Honey and almond baked Parsnips (at least 1kg per person)

Pudding

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese and Port.

Fairly traditional i guess.

(smoked salmon for boxing day)

Last edited:
Soldato
Breakfast

Muffins with scrambled egg and smoked salmon

Dinner

Turkey

Pudding

Christmas pudding

For Drinks

Might open a bottle of Rioja Reserva 2011 when we have the turkey, and throughout the day anything that goes really, Baileys, Ameretto, also have some JD honey. The only thing I don't tend to drink on Christmas Day is beer.

Last edited:
Soldato
i go to my sisters house and they cook the Xmas meal and i do the new year meal in exchange

but its usually:

turkey
mash
roasties
home made stuffing
home made gravy
pigs in blankets
bacon
parsnips
carrots
other veg i do not eat like sprouts, cabbage, swedes
multiple choice puddings

Soldato
OP
Finalised the menu. I like to do a bit of fancy plating, but still deliver what looks and tastes like a Christmas lunch. Having 7 people this year, on kid and one vegan.

*Scottish Lentil Soup, Croutons, Toasted Nut, Seed & Herb Garnish.

*Christmas Cured Gravadlax, cured Cucumber, with Smoked Trout Rillettes
*Faux Gras with Jackfruit ‘Fish’ Rillettes

*6 Hour Roasted Beef. Honey Mustard Glazed Ham
*Orange & Whisky Glazed Roasted Tofu
*Roasted Sage & Marjoram Potatoes, Carrots, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Minted Peas, Roast Parsnips, Sprouts in Butter, Pigs In Blankets, Yorkshire Puddings, Gravy.

*Whisky Parkin with Ice Cream.
*Christmas Pudding with Custard.
*Cheese.

I think it should be quite manageable:
The soup, croutons and nut/seed/herb garnish can all be made the day before.
Gravadlax and marinated jackfruit ‘fish’ will be started tomorrow and then easily finished on the day. Rilettes take minutes. The faux gras can be made a few days in advance.
Beef literally gets seared and then put in an 60c oven for 6 hours. Pork will be boiled in the morning and then roasted for about 30 minutes.
Tofu is marinated overnight and then roasted.
Veg is nice and easy!

Parkin will be made by her the day before and then just finished with some whisky caramel sauce before serving.
Times like this means I wish I had a microwave but guess I’ll have to steam the Christmas pudding on the hob! Tbh, im the only one who wants it!
Cheese will just be cut and popped on a chopping board in front of a sleeping Ahleckz I suspect!

I’ve got no idea why we’re having soup, apparently it’s a tradition from her side! Waste of stomach space I reckon..

Last edited:
Soldato
@Ahleckz that sounds great, can I come? :D

We’re being brave and playing it by ear this year. Didn’t know (a) whether or not we’d have a kitchen due to house renovations (b) whether or not we’d get decent time off work and (c) if we’d be going anywhere due to train strikes. So unfortunately we missed our butchers order book and will just rock up on Thurs I think, and see what’s kicking around. We’ve already done our big Ocado shop for alcohol/non perishables and we’ve got a lovely cheese/deli 5mins walk away and our usual greengrocers a bit further than that. I think that covers all bases although we forgot to get some beer in. Plenty of spirits, mixers and wine though!

I’m thinking we’ll just do a nice bit of beef, or maybe venison?

Last edited:
Soldato
Breakfast - smoked salmon, scrambled eggs an sourdough toast

Lunch - Turkey Crown, stuffed Venison, pig in blankets, roast potatoes, parsnips, brussel sprouts, brussel tops/greens and carrots.

Pudding - Christmas pudding and trifle

Drinks - Bucks Fizz, mould wine, and Baileys for latter and whatever my dad has laying around

Last edited:
Soldato
I've just picked up a whole salt chamber aged beef fillet. Part of it will be enjoyed as steak tartare and the rest will be cured in treacle for a few days then cooked sous vide at 48°c for 2 hours and finished on the BBQ.

I'm salivating.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm cooking beef fillet now, I wanted to cook rib but my brother has opted for the leanest beef possible due to his fussy eating, bonus is he is paying for it and its not cheap.

Soldato
Smoked salmon and scambled eggs for breakfast, would normally have something boozy but got to drive later in the morning.

Mid morning snack, sausage rolls and the streaky bacon off the top of the turkey.

For lunch Turkey, roasties, sprouts, pigs in blankets, stuffing, sausage meat, yorkshires. For pud either xmas pudding or mince pies, see what i fancy.

In the evening probably some turkey sandwiches, pickled onions, more sausage rolls, maybe some cheese.

Soldato
Cooking a standard dinner, turkey crown, roast gammon, roast potatoes, roast parsnips, sprouts, runner beans, sage and onion stuffing, mushrooms and gravy, followed by Xmas pud with Devon clotted cream.

Ordinary but tasty.

Last edited:
Soldato
I will be cooking this bad boy with chargrilled onions, shrooms and garlic then serving with pepper sauce and fries. I do like my steak with 70% less plastic :D

CPIw7I7l.jpeg

Soldato
I will be cooking this bad boy with chargrilled onions, shrooms and garlic then serving with pepper sauce and fries. I do like my steak with 70% less plastic :D

CPIw7I7l.jpeg
Have you tried the Picanha steak from the same range? Never thought I'd be impressed by a supermarket steak, but damn they're good.

Soldato
No, but I might just do that for New Year! Can’t be better than ribeye shirley or maybe it is?

I was going to use my local butcher, but this caught my eye :)

Back
Top Bottom