Christmas lunch - what are you cooking and drinking?

Soldato
1.5kg Topside on the Anova app shows 57.2°C for 9hr.

I'd check the app for levels of finish.
Weird, I did some quick googling and some random website was saying only 4hrs. Honestly because I want to make a nice gravy etc I might just roast it and err on the very safe/rare side. I have a thermapen so can keep an eye on it.
Not even a contest, definitely roasties
Yeah, done. Roasties, swede and carrot mash, roasted sprouts with chilli and Parmesan, pickled red cabbage from last year (or the year before :p) homemade gravy with some booze in I’m sure.

Girlfriend is making a mackerel pate for starter, and joint effort on a sort-of deconstructed pear trifle for pudding.

Champagne, Brooklyn pilsner, various red wine, maybe a negroni, g&t or boulevardier on the cocktails.. whisky for afters. Done :D

Soldato
Weird, I did some quick googling and some random website was saying only 4hrs. Honestly because I want to make a nice gravy etc I might just roast it and err on the very safe/rare side. I have a thermapen so can keep an eye on it.

Yeah, done. Roasties, swede and carrot mash, roasted sprouts with chilli and Parmesan, pickled red cabbage from last year (or the year before :p) homemade gravy with some booze in I’m sure.

Girlfriend is making a mackerel pate for starter, and joint effort on a sort-of deconstructed pear trifle for pudding.

Champagne, Brooklyn pilsner, various red wine, maybe a negroni, g&t or boulevardier on the cocktails.. whisky for afters. Done :D

To be expected from the internet.

4hrs will probably be more than enough, but I do like to use the Anova and Joule app most of the time for guides.

Associate
3 hours in the pub then Donner kebab on the way home
I would be out of luck here if this was my plan! It's the one day when the owners close; all off to London for their one day to close and celebrate family.

Volunteered to host new year - fry-up (thinking about this, might skive this and we go to the café for a belly buster), pub, home for nibbles, and takeaway.

Christmas: A bit of a tradition of my family, we tend to run things later, our meal is usually during the evening. I'm driving for Xmas day so no booze!

Breakfast
Smoked Salmon, poached/scrambled eggs on crumpets
Bucks Fizz/Bloody Mary's

Day
Usual nibbles.

Dinner
Starter Prawn Cocktail I don't care if its non-foodie fashionable, love it! (it's back in vogue for '22)
Turkey, all the trimmings.

Dessert
Christmas Pud (small portion) as many, including myself, much prefer savoury.. cheese/pate if the munchies kick in!

Last edited:
Soldato
Chateaubriand, roasted roots, Yorkshire pudding and sprouts.

Slight change as the OH wants Beef joint for Christmas now, so got that smothered in mustard, sea salt & cracked pepper and into the bath for 24 hours.

qFugrhN.jpg

oCI2b7t.jpg

Roasts boiling right now to be put in fridge for tomorrow.

Last edited:
Associate
Had mine today instead of tomorrow to free up more family time.

Turkey Crown, pigs in blankets, sausage meat stuffing, honey roast parsnips, sprouts, carrots, broccoli, roast potatoes, bread sauce, gravy and cranberry sauce. Sticky toffee and Xmas pudding for desert but I ate too much dinner. Asti for the meal.

Soldato
Norfolk Black turkey crown. With lemon and onion inside. Bacon on breast. In a turkey oven bag
. Pigs in blankets- both homemade and shop bought
. About 3 stuffings (none are sage n onion)
. Roast potatoes and parsnips
. Various cooked veg - carrots, leeks, Brussels, broccoli, courgette etc

Sainsburys TTD Christmas pudding with cream and homemade brandy butter.

Cheese (Blue Stilton, Camembert, vintage cheddar, rochefort and another cheese) and biscuits.

Drinks - Chardonnay for main course, Moscatel for pudding, LBV port with cheese

Anyone using Aunt Bessie products on Christmas Day should be ashamed

Caporegime
Unfortunately I will have to be ashamed as the wife has insisted on using our ready made M&S yorkies instead of doing fresh.

It goes against everything I stand for but I'm now a bit too drunk to bother / succeed with fresh ones anyway.

Soldato
We had Aunt Bessie’s yorkshires with our beef (and my other half is from Leeds :eek: )

It was the only thing pre-maid for all three courses and wacking the oven up to 250c for homemade ones doesn’t really work with everything else going on/in there. Maybe when we het our new kitchen and range cooker (with two ovens)…

Soldato
Post mortem of the turkey yesterday with final meet stripping and pressure cooking of carcass , soup/stock etc.
also did a post-mortem on xmas day too, saw a 75% off one in tesco, xmas eve, which was butchered and frozen

meal - DIY bread sauce was MIA ... need to make a list next year, also,
at least the Aldi cheap 19p sprouts were junk either these are very early sprouts put in storage for many months beforehand, or, the variety Martinus is bottom tier, had a very strange flavour.

Soldato
need some recipes for the (clearance) mincemeat excess we now have -
obviously more mince pies (with embedded marzipan), works well at the base of an apple pie, or bakewell tart too, maybe mincemeat turnovers (if it doesn't bleed out)
other suggestions ?

e: mincemeat toasted sandwich.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom