When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
whilst I accept there are occasions where an EV can cost as much as a diesel to run (at the moment.... hopefully prices of public charging comes down as electricity does) for me that is missing the point.

if you constantly to 600 mile round trip road trips then perhaps a diesel is still the way to go for that vehicle.
where an EV shines however, so long as you have off road charging, is .... just about every other use case.

just like the daily express of what ever focus on 80p superchargers , fixating on huge road trips is making the same error.

imo when considering an EV you have to consider your average fuel costs.... and if 90% of your charging is done at home then the odd expensive fill up will just be a rounding error on your yearly cost.

Soldato
whilst I accept there are occasions where an EV can cost as much as a diesel to run (at the moment.... hopefully prices of public charging comes down as electricity does) for me that is missing the point.

if you constantly to 600 mile round trip road trips then perhaps a diesel is still the way to go for that vehicle.
where an EV shines however, so long as you have off road charging, is .... just about every other use case.

just like the daily express of what ever focus on 80p superchargers , fixating on huge road trips is making the same error.

imo when considering an EV you have to consider your average fuel costs.... and if 90% of your charging is done at home then the odd expensive fill up will just be a rounding error on your yearly cost.

Yes, absolutely, I got an EV fully aware of the fact that long road trips are far from the ideal scenario, 99% of my usage is covered charging at home on Octopus Go at 7.5p/kw, giving me an average cost of ~2p/mile :)

Soldato
For me it’s not about fuel costs it’s the cost of the vehicle itself, can’t justify it yet.
true. depending on how much you spend on a car EVs don't have every corner covered yet.

give it a few more years however and the launch long range e niros with a proper range on them will be around the 10k mark.

it will be a while before they hit the 2.5k price of say a 70k miles 2011 pug 308 or ford focus however

Last edited:
Permabanned
true. depending on how much you spend on a car EVs don't have every corner covered yet.

give it a few more years however and the launch long range e niros with a proper range on them will be around the 10k mark.

it will be a while before they hit the 2.5k price of say a 70k miles 2001 pug 308 or ford focus however
EV’s are still a very niche market the second hand EV market is even smaller still. We do maybe 3000 miles a year nowadays, spending 30k+ to save a little on fuel is just dumb.

Soldato
EV’s are still a very niche market the second hand EV market is even smaller still. We do maybe 3000 miles a year nowadays, spending 30k+ to save a little on fuel is just dumb.

Yeah, at that low mileage it's not really worth it. When you get to 15-20k (short journey) miles and you're potentially saving £200+/month in fuel then it can start to make a bit more sense

Soldato
if you only do 3000 miles a year then you can get a £6k EV which would be ideal.

a 24kwh Zoe or a 30kwh leaf spring to mind.

you are right spending 30k on a car to do 3000 miles would be dumb ... but suggesting you need to is just wrong.

we really do need more of the really cheap Chinese EVs over here tho. sure we have MG but in china you can get a brand spanking new EV for under £10k

Last edited:
Soldato
Test drove a Model Y today and owning a Model 3 I was it expecting it to be a familiar experience and in a shock to no one, it was.

Outside of the driving position, the one thing I noted was the ride was a lot better than my Model 3. I was expecting it to be very firm like the Model 3 and per most comments from reviews etc but it handled the rough city streets a lot better than the 3 and was a lot softer ride than I was expecting. I guess they have tweaked the suspension since it was launched.

It's on the list of potentials anyway.

Soldato
1 in 6 new cars are BEV so less of a niche these days. Our first EV in 2018 people thought we were nuts lol

Permabanned
Yeah, at that low mileage it's not really worth it. When you get to 15-20k (short journey) miles and you're potentially saving £200+/month in fuel then it can start to make a bit more sense
15-20k is again a very niche requirement outside of a sales rep type job. Our lifestyle could quite easily accommodate an EV and I’d happily swap my vehicle for one, I just wouldn’t pay the money for it.

Permabanned
if you only do 3000 miles a year then you can get a £6k EV which would be ideal.

a 24kwh Zoe or a 30kwh leaf spring to mind.

you are right spending 30k on a car to do 3000 miles would be dumb ... but suggesting you need to is just wrong.

we really do need more of the really cheap Chinese EVs over here tho. sure we have MG but in china you can get a brand spanking new EV for under £10k
Lol no thanks.

Caporegime
138kW peak and held 100 to 50kW

Really liking this car. So comfy to drive and has some go for 2.4 tons which surprises people. Nice to Brit have to churn a gearbox and some low geared diesel

bYw4mQP.jpg

Back
Top Bottom