Poll: Official 2023 Singapore Grand Prix Thread - Marina Bay Street Circuit - Round 16

Rate Singapore out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
He was only faster when Russell was in Sainz and Lando's dirty air. Mercedes should have had a 1-2. However Hamilton fighting Russell helped CarLando keep ahead.

Until that last lap mistake, Russell out-drove Lewis all weekend.
Russell closed on the leaders at almost 2 seconds a lap until he was within their dirty air as well.

I think either Mercedes would have been leading that race if they didn't compromise each other by racing for position.
Looks like you weren't paying attention then. On lap 45 both Russell and Hamilton pit at the same time onto fresh new medium tyres. After the virtual safety car ends the gap between them is 4.905 and goes up to 5.158 on lap 46. Both of them run in clear air until lap 52 when Russell gets within 2 seconds of Leclerc, during which time Hamilton had been setting fastest laps and steadily got the gap down to 2.448 seconds.

Keep those rose tinted glasses on.
Oh the irony. :cry:

Soldato
Looks like you weren't paying attention then. On lap 45 both Russell and Hamilton pit at the same time onto fresh new medium tyres. After the virtual safety car ends the gap between them is 4.905 and goes up to 5.158 on lap 46. Both of them run in clear air until lap 52 when Russell gets within 2 seconds of Leclerc, during which time Hamilton had been setting fastest laps and steadily got the gap down to 2.448 seconds.
In Russell's defence you could argue that Hamilton was getting a nice little slipstream from him, without being too close to get into dirty/hot air.

Caporegime
I thought this was a interesting analysis of why Red Bull were so far off the pace here:

tl;dr: RB's advantage depends on their suspension allowing better use of ground effect but, here and at Spa, the track is too bumpy to allow it to work.

Soldato
I thought we had loads of bumpy tracks before.. It’s not like other drivers were complaining about the bumpiness in Singapore like they have at other tracks :confused:

Don
I don't think that video's strictly true, I've seen others that mention slightly different - Singapore historically was quite bumpy but was resurfaced last year I think.

Red Bull's model was using the pre- resurfaced data so they ran higher ride height initially in FP. For qualifying they dropped the ride height to account for the smoother surface but went too far, resulting in the car bottoming out.

Caporegime
Hamilton was clearly quicker than George during the medium tyre stint, I'm not sure why the need to try to dispute that.

It's a strange thing to try and argue as well, considering Lewis is very often faster than George in the race.

Lewis' main strength is his race pace once he gets in the zone. I mean Bottas often beat him/kept him honest during qualy, but the race was a different matter.

Put it this way, if I was able to choose any driver for Saturday, it likely wouldn't be Lewis. For Sunday, I'd probably choose him (or Max).

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don't think that video's strictly true, I've seen others that mention slightly different - Singapore historically was quite bumpy but was resurfaced last year I think.

Only part of the track was resurfaced though, wasn't it? So it's smooth in the resurfaced section but still very bumpy elsewhere. You could certainly see the sparks when the cars bouncing over some parts of the track.

Soldato
It's a strange thing to try and argue as well, considering Lewis is very often faster than George in the race.

Lewis' main strength is his race pace once he gets in the zone. I mean Bottas often beat him/kept him honest during qualy, but the race was a different matter.

Put it this way, if I was able to choose any driver for Saturday, it likely wouldn't be Lewis. For Sunday, I'd probably choose him (or Max).

Reminds me of Vali Rossi in MotoGP. A true Sunday man. Quali he never really cared for or placed much emphasis on. Lewis has grown to know how to manage tyres quite well now. I think he's developed lines that are still quick but minimize wear.

Caporegime
Reminds me of Vali Rossi in MotoGP. A true Sunday man. Quali he never really cared for or placed much emphasis on. Lewis has grown to know how to manage tyres quite well now. I think he's developed lines that are still quick but minimize wear.

Yeh. It really looked like in that last stint in Singapore, Lewis managed to not only be faster, but also manage the tyres better (although in some respects those go hand in hand as you get into the stint) than George. I think George over cooked them on the first few laps and went hell for leather trying to catch the pack. By the time he did, his tyres were starting to go, and he not only lost his shot at Norris/Sainz but looked very vulnerable to Lewis as well.

Man of Honour
OP
Yeh. It really looked like in that last stint in Singapore, Lewis managed to not only be faster, but also manage the tyres better (although in some respects those go hand in hand as you get into the stint) than George. I think George over cooked them on the first few laps and went hell for leather trying to catch the pack. By the time he did, his tyres were starting to go, and he not only lost his shot at Norris/Sainz but looked very vulnerable to Lewis as well.

Russell probably thought he was safe enough if he did cook the tyres, likely expecting that Lewis would stay put behind him (had he not barrelled into the wall)

Soldato
Trying to understand the George crash actually. Has he clipped it with the front tyre or the rear, or both? Why did he then skid off. I heard that it broke his steering so would assume he clipped it with the front right. I need to watch an onboard back I think.

Associate
Great to see someone else winning for a change. Face did lack drama. Sometimes you really want it to pour down to spice things up. From my experience living in Singapore that happens a lot!

Soldato
Trying to understand the George crash actually. Has he clipped it with the front tyre or the rear, or both? Why did he then skid off. I heard that it broke his steering so would assume he clipped it with the front right. I need to watch an onboard back I think.
"Clipped it" is probably putting it mildly, it was quite a whack when you watch it back :p

Soldato
Right rear if I remember right. I'd imagine it was an instant puncture, if not broken suspension, which meant he couldn't stop in time for the corner and went off.

You can see on George's onboard that Lando clips it as well, and gets very lucky.

Last edited:
Don
Only part of the track was resurfaced though, wasn't it? So it's smooth in the resurfaced section but still very bumpy elsewhere. You could certainly see the sparks when the cars bouncing over some parts of the track.
A lot of work was done to the track last year to help address porpoising

Soldato
Right rear if I remember right. I'd imagine it was an instant puncture, if not broken suspension, which meant he couldn't stop in time for the corner and went off.

You can see on George's onboard that Lando clips it as well, and gets very lucky.

George hits the front right and the rear right - the hit to the front breaks the steering, he tried to turn pretty much full lock but the wheels don't respond to his input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom