Everyday Backpack. What do you have or use?

Associate
Looking for a 20L everyday backpack to carry my MacBook Pro 13 along with a water bottle and laptop accessories and then double up as a weekend bag to keep things when out and about minus the laptop but an iPad or small camera and snacks.

I have been looking at a few offerings from Bellroy particularly this Backpack or Tote style backpack.

Have I missed anything that is similar?

I am aware of the price but it will last a while so want something decent.

Caporegime
In my experience, a good honest Berghaus will prove strong and reliable at a very reasonable price. I have a medium sized Berghaus backpack I've been using regularly since ~2009, and it's still going strong. It's small enough to qualify as cabin baggage on commercial flights, but large enough to take everything I need for a weekend away.

Last edited:
Associate
Riutbag R10 for my work commute, I really like the antitheft design (I'm in London). These bags are clever and tough, my son uses the larger R15 for school (5 years of daily use and its still in good shape)

Soldato
A bit bigger, but I use a 25l Patagonia Arbor rucksack. It fits my 15" laptop, charger, a few tools and cables for work and then things like lunch and a drink. I've had it a fair few years and it's still in good condition.

Caporegime
Osprey Daylite plus here.

I have the hikelite 18.and yeah it's excellent.
Not sure about yours but mine has a laptop/hydration sleeve. Probably fit a 15in in that? Not sure.

I believe the Daylite is framless so packs smaller but isn't rigid.
So it doesn't have the airspeed back (my favourite feature). There's a space between back of your backpack and your back.
But if you're not using it in heat or don't have this, the frame/airspeed back might be pointless?

Here's a pic of the back. As I'm bored at the airport.
5XQkTYw.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I use a combination of a 30L Trespass rucksack and some Targus laptop bag that's slightly smaller.

Most rucksacks I've had in the past have lasted at least a few years so I've never been too bothered about quality. I'm happy spending say £25 every 5 years rather than some fancy thing, especially as I travel less frequently now.

Caporegime
I have an Osprey Farpoint 70 which came with a detachable daypack, that I have been using for 7 years. Still not a rip/tear on it, nor any issues with the zips.

Seems to have gone up a lot since I ordered it though. It was £100 when I bought it.

Soldato
I have the hikelite 18.and yeah it's excellent.
Not sure about yours but mine has a laptop/hydration sleeve. Probably fit a 15in in that? Not sure.

I believe the Daylite is framless so packs smaller but isn't rigid.
Yep, there’s a separate sleeve for a laptop in the main compartment. Also has outside pockets for water bottles, etc. Always used mine as a commuting bag rather than travel. It is frameless so is soft / flexible.

Had mine for 6 years and it still looks like new.

Caporegime
Crumpler "The Base"

Bottom 1/4 section has a separate compartment for small camera set up.
Top 3/4 has enough space to carry stuff for a 3 days trip
Space for 13" laptop
Several internal pockets
Straps on the side for tripod
Water resistence

I wear it everyday for the past 6 - 7 years and there's no tear or holes at all. It's been to Japan several times with me.

Soldato
Lowe Alpine bags are good, I have one that came with a bigger bag as a sort of attached day sack, even has an interior pocket for a laptop etc (not sure if the same on this one).

Last edited:
Associate
I have a Bellroy Workpack and love it. It's very sleek with just enough separate pockets and organisation. The bottle pockets are essentially 2 isolated pockets on either side of the bag that go internally, so any leaks should be largely contained and it also helps keep the aesthetic nice and clean. The laptop area is separate from the main compartment, and I can fit one of their Bellroy tech pouches together with it for my webcam and other cables.

Soldato
I used a Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon 2 for a decade of work commuting across London carrying smaller laptops and iPads. Loads of different compartments as standard and you can attach a bunch more pouches if required.

Foliage Green was my colour of choice as it blends in and just looks like a dirty army surplus pack.

The objective here is to carry your expensive stuff securely without the pack letting on that it might be worth taking.

Soldato
Another vote for osprey, I needed a bag that could fit my 16inch MacBook Pro and went for an osprey arcane xl, lovely back, loads of room, doesn’t feel big but fits the laptop comfortably with good protection.

Soldato
I would definitely try out a few bags before buying one, I tried on a few of the Osprey day bags and found them way too small, the bottom of the bag would dig into my lower back.

Soldato
Riutbag R10 for my work commute, I really like the antitheft design (I'm in London). These bags are clever and tough, my son uses the larger R15 for school (5 years of daily use and its still in good shape)
Never hear of them until your post but took a look and just ordered the R15.4.

Looks the part for my commute to the office. I like the minimalist look and it'll look better than the old tatty Under Armour thing I'm using just now. :)

Back
Top Bottom