So I raided the local Chinese/Japanise/Thai supermarket today

Soldato
Got some random instant noodle type things and some other ingredients.

Stupidly forgot to get some coconut milk, but I think I've got some decent stuff to start experimenting but looking for recipie ideas, mostly stir fry or noodle soup type stuff I guess, but before I insult Uncle Rogers ancestors, any tips?

I quite often do a stir-fry type thing with chicken and random mixed veg and pre-made sauces from tesco/sanisbury etc. but the sauces are a bit bland.

Soldato
The bottom 4 are just instant ramen, basically a bit more authentic pot noodle. They are nice but I wouldn't use them to make anything else. You can jazz up instant ramen with fresh veg/ eggs.
The 2 jars in top right can be used to make a stir fry sauce. Mix them with things like cornflower, rice wine/vinager & soy sauce.
I would suggest something like;
1 tbsp chilli sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce
1tsp chilli oil
1 tbsp vinager
2tsp sugar /honey
2tsp cornflour mixed up with 2 tbsp water

In theory you can just add it straight to your stiry fry, but I prefer to get in a saucepan first for a couple of min. This way you can ensure cornflour is properly cooked and you can taste the sauce and adjust it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I just tend to marinade strips of chicken in small amount of minced-garlic/soy&sesame seeds (would like to try shaoxin wine though)
prepare red&green peppers and onions in strips
heat up wok until smoking, add some oil mostly cook chicken, then add onion&peppers (adding lid to wok for a while so that steam helps their cooking) ~7mins
meanwhile cook rice noodles - well, put them in boiling water and turn off, then drain via collander/sieve
and add / stir into wok contents before serving, putting in some additional soy.

Soldato
OP
I assume the pastes will have cooking instructions on them?

Yeah but I'm guessing they are quite concentrated, so probably 3 or 4 dishes out of each pot of paste?

Yeah the bottom ones I'll just do like a pot noodle, put hot water on them as a quick snack.

Last edited:
Soldato
Generally with the Thai pastes I fry oil, coconut cream and paste in the pan first and add whatever meat and veg, then more coconut milk to finish. Usually add lime juice, fresh ginger, coriander, fish sauce and tamarind paste. Oh and a little sugar to taste.

Chiu chow chilli oil is nice and spicy and great on stir fry noodles or rice. The king though is Logan Mama - look out for that next time you’re in there.

Last edited:
Soldato
I like to make hot oil noodles using instant noodle packs. Reasonable veg content but feels like a junk/lazy meal!

1tbsp of sesame oil, 4-5 tbsp plain oil, 1 tsp black vinegar, 2tsp light soy and 2tsp dark soy.

Heat oil mix in a saucepan and throw in sliced chillies, garlic, some ginger shredded or sliced, spring onions, a few chopped cashews. Then throw in the white powder - salt, MSG, white pepper.

At same time put noodles from instant noodle packs in water with a tsp of chicken stock powder (and their flavourings if you like), when ready, throw in shredded carrot and courgette. Drain and bowl up.

Oil mix should be hot and bubbling now. Pour hot oil mix over noodles, sprinkle more cashews, serve

Last edited:
heat up wok until smoking

If you mean the old oil is smoking (left on wok)
you shouldn't since thats the point it turns to producing carcinogens
Its why olive oil that for some reason some celebrity chefs use for cooking is bad, its point of producing carcinogens is really low

Got some random instant noodle type things and some other ingredients.

Stupidly forgot to get some coconut milk, but I think I've got some decent stuff to start experimenting but looking for recipie ideas, mostly stir fry or noodle soup type stuff I guess, but before I insult Uncle Rogers ancestors, any tips?

I quite often do a stir-fry type thing with chicken and random mixed veg and pre-made sauces from tesco/sanisbury etc. but the sauces are a bit bland.

Just remember that the food standards in many of the countries this sort of stuff comes from can be really low.
Try to stick with the ones that are closer to our standards and you stand less chance of ingesting lead etc. I am not kidding.

South Korea, Japan etc have high food standards like the west generally.

Soldato
If you mean the old oil is smoking (left on wok)
you shouldn't since thats the point it turns to producing carcinogens
Its why olive oil that for some reason some celebrity chefs use for cooking is bad, its point of producing carcinogens is really low
True as that may be it's the traditional method. It's also how you season cast iron and carbon steel pans.

Do you happen to have a link to a study in a reputable scientific journal to back this up?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say "no" :rolleyes:

Which bit? the fact that olive oil has the lowest smoke point of basically all cooking oils, or that when oil hits smoke point and starts to break down it releases free radicals?

Neither of which are secrets at all. (Both are widely published)

Caporegime
I don't think any traditional chinese or asian dishes uses olive oil. Why was this mentioned? Who in the right mind uses olive oil in Chinese/Asian cooking in a wok?!

As for the wok smoking, there is a word for it in chinese, it's call "Wok hei", translate to "wok air", it's what is desired, to heat it to the smoking point, it is like the basis of flavour.

As for burnt food being carcinogenic, that is not disputed, but I have not looked into Chinese people having a higher rate of stomach cancer or bowel cancer because of this vs western society or society that doesn't cook in the same way? Do chinese people have a higher rate of developing cancer and in particularly, linked to this style of cooking?

Last edited:
Soldato

It’s multi factorial. Interestingly in the case of oesophageal cancer the subtype of cancer is changing in East Asian populations from squamous cell to adenocarcinoma with increasing obesity. Adenocarcinoma is the type that’s more common in the West.

Continue to eat delicious foods in moderation people!

Caporegime

It’s multi factorial. Interestingly in the case of oesophageal cancer the subtype of cancer is changing in East Asian populations from squamous cell to adenocarcinoma with increasing obesity. Adenocarcinoma is the type that’s more common in the West.

Continue to eat delicious foods in moderation people!

Interesting...it does have many layers, but not specific link to heating a pan to smoking point that i can see. It's very hard to pin point something like that. Since you are not really and the idea isn't to burn the food, merely have food be cooked by that smoking hot surface area.

This bit is interesting...seeing Hong Kong is cantonese cuisine where the Wok Hei is most important in cooking.

"Similar to the Republic of Korea and Japan, it is relatively common to be infected by H. pylori in Hong Kong; it has a prevalence rate of 58.4% [69,82]. However, according to the International Agency for Research on Cancer, World Health Organization, and the Hong Kong Cancer Registry, Hospital Authority, Hong Kong has a lower incidence rate of GC than these countries. This may be due to the genotypic variations in the VacA gene in H. pylori strains. VacA genes may differ in the signal area (s1 and s2) and the middle area (m1 and m2). GC patients often have s1/m1-type strains."

Different genes to help against GC!!

Soldato
I think Chinese use peanut oil which has a high smoke point. Currently using a mix of Sunflower oil and Olive Oil. Big tin only £10 from Sainsbo.

Last edited:
Associate
When I visit far east supermarkets, I always top up on dried mushrooms and yellow bean sauce.
As for the wok I’d never use Olive oil as it imparts the wrong flavour to my food. Sunflower or Peanut depending on what I am cooking.

Back
Top Bottom