• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Soldato
4070ti super doesn't seem to be as big a jump from the 4070ti as I was expecting. Looks to be less than 10% faster (like 8%)

Thought it would be a lot closer to a 4080 (IE closer to that than the 4070ti)

More like 4-5%.

It has been a massive anti-climax but it's not entirely clear why. It was hyped up as being "almost as fast as a 4080" but, looking at the specs, I have no idea why that was even postulated as there is still a significant gulf between the 4070 Ti SUPER and the 4080.

Likely just the media trying to create interest (and thus clicks) by hyping it up whilst knowing full well it'd be a flop.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Why get a 529 quid 4070 when the 4070 Super is just 50 quid more? And if you're going for a 4070 Super at 579 then really 749 for a 70 Ti Super isn't actually that much of a reach. And considering the 70Ti Super reviews were a bit mid - then what's another 150 quid for the 4080 Super??
Yup, at 1440p I'd be going for the 4070S (if it's gotta be a Nvidia card) and then deal with any future vRam issues down the road. Ultrawide complicates this somewhat for me but still a v viable option if you don't mind tuning settings for fps!

Soldato
Yeah, you're not coming across as salty at all...... This all comes down to a person's financial situation and how responsible they are, personally If you have the cash there, available and disposable, I'd still say go for a decent 0% interest period if offered it, that way you can re-invest that money elsewhere and earn interest from it, be that in an ISA, saving or even dumping it into a SIPP, that money is better in a buyers hands than it is a seller.

@lawless50 enjoy the card, don't listen to other people's bluster who don't know your personal situation, if it works for you, and you're happy then who's to argue?

new boy, I'm not salty, I'm saying that getting a "want" on credit is not usually a good call. A GPU is a want and not a need....

Soldato
I have a 4070ti super coming today. It’s the Gigabyte WINDFORCE OC edition. does anyone know if the supplied adapter is two or three 8 pins?

if it’s 3, would using one 8 pin and and a second using 2 eight pins be ok?

i have a good PSU waiting in the wings, but would rather avoid the hassle of transplanting the PSU into the current system.

Associate
new boy, I'm not salty, I'm saying that getting a "want" on credit is not usually a good call. A GPU is a want and not a need....
Nope, still sounding salty....... I mean, under that argument, is the majority of things we own in our lives a "want" and not a "need"?...... Getting a "want" on credit is surely up to the person who "wants" it and their financial situation, and not some person being salty on a forum?

Last edited:
Associate
Depending on prices/availability, thinking of grabbing a 4080 Super FE ( currently have a 3090 FE ). No doubt the sensible choice will be to wait until the 5000 series cards. My PSU on my current build is a Corsair RM750i 750W 80 Plus Gold. Would I need to purchase an ATX 3.0 compatible PSU ?

Associate
Depending on prices/availability, thinking of grabbing a 4080 Super FE ( currently have a 3090 FE ). No doubt the sensible choice will be to wait until the 5000 series cards. My PSU on my current build is a Corsair RM750i 750W 80 Plus Gold. Would I need to purchase an ATX 3.0 compatible PSU ?
I would wait on the PSU the ATX 3.1 versions coming out soon, have the update 12+6HPwr cable.

Soldato
PSU would be fine, the 4080 uses less power than a 3090 but I do think waiting for 50 series is sensible. Imagine buying a 2080S in early 2020 then seeing it get destroyed by the 3080 later that same year.

Last edited:
Associate
Nope, still sounding salty....... I mean, under that argument, is the majority of things we own in our lives a "want" and not a "need"?...... Getting a "want" on credit is surely up to the person who "wants" it and their financial situation, and not some person being salty on a forum?
Do you not understand his point? I could get a 4090 on credit, I could also buy one outright. But that's a want and not a need, so I'm still running a 3080. Because it's not sensible to either buy outright or tie yourself to a credit agreement at these prices.

That's the point, which you seem to interpret as him being salty. It's good advice, you saying it's him being salty seems to be you wanting an argument. Go elsewhere if you want that.

Caporegime
Looking forward to the reviews tomorrow!

Wednesday I decided to either buy a 4070 TI Super or 4080 Super.. Price depending, for my OLED Wiiiiiiiidescreen!

Associate
Buying a 4090 on credit is ridiculous.

Only if you can afford to buy outright in one go, should a 4090 be an option for you.

Do you not understand his point? I could get a 4090 on credit, I could also buy one outright. But that's a want and not a need, so I'm still running a 3080. Because it's not sensible to either buy outright or tie yourself to a credit agreement at these prices.

That's the point, which you seem to interpret as him being salty. It's good advice, you saying it's him being salty seems to be you wanting an argument. Go elsewhere if you want that.
Doesn't seem to read that way in his original comment (quoted) though, does it?......Where he's advocating that someone should only buy one if it can be purchased outright, and not on credit, regardless of the price...... So yeah, doesn't exactly match up with the point you seem to think I'm misunderstanding, nor the comment he originally made.

Last edited:
Soldato
Doesn't seem to read that way in his original comment (quoted) though, does it?......Where he's advocating that someone should only buy one if it can be purchased outright, and not on credit, regardless of the price...... So yeah, doesn't exactly match up with the point you seem to think I'm misunderstanding, nor the comment he originally made.
Buying a 4090 now for £1600 is daft because in 9 months it'll only be worth half that, if your going to buy a high end GPU regardless if its on credit or not then at least buy at the start of the cycle to get the full value out of it.

Caporegime
Depends what the credit is as well...

I'm going to do credit, pay £300 a month so should be paid within 3 months or so. I could pay it right now, but there's no interest so :)

Associate
Buying a 4090 now for £1600 is daft because in 9 months it'll only be worth half that, if your going to buy a high end GPU regardless if its on credit or not then at least buy at the start of the cycle to get the full value out of it.
Again, this point you're making isn't something I'm disagreeing with, and is certainly not the point of the original comment I questioned "Only if you can afford to buy outright in one go, should a 4090 be an option for you."

Last edited:
Soldato
I bought the Corsair cable for £20 much neater. Two plugs in the PSU, one plug on the GPU.

RM850X

Associate
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom