Selling my car. No patience

Man of Honour
FWIW is worth is important here...doesn't cover any wearable parts so really, it doesn't cover that much!

You might be right there. I was thinking today that I might cancel the deposit on the new car to take the pressure off for getting this sold. At the very least, it may encourage them to drop the price. It's not the only car in England that I would go for.
The sort of warranty you can buy yourself, that independent dealers sometimes include for three months, are usually worthless. That's why I prefer to buy from a private seller and save the markup on a dealer. But the warranty when buying approved used from a main dealer is often worth it. So I would pay more at a main dealer for that reason.

Before cancelling you certainly could try the old "My car has been up for sale for the last few months with not much interest. The used market seems to have really taken a dive recently so I'm afraid I'll need to lower my offer on this car. I completely appreciate you may not be able to consider that". You'll almost certain;y get a "no". But there is no harm trying.

Last edited:
Soldato
The sort of warranty you can buy yourself, that independent dealers sometimes include for three months, are usually worthless. That's why I prefer to buy from a private seller and save the markup on a dealer. But the warranty when buying approved used from a main dealer is often worth it. So I would pay more at a main dealer for that reason.
How about not saving up on that markup and still going private? Enter OP. :D

Soldato
OP

Before cancelling you certainly could try the old "My car has been up for sale for the last few months with not much interest. The used market seems to have really taken a dive recently so I'm afraid I'll need to lower my offer on this car. I completely appreciate you may not be able to consider that". You'll almost certain;y get a "no". But there is no harm trying.

That's part of what I'm going to say to them. If I can shave a grand off the price of the other car, I can accept a grand lower on my car

Soldato
I know that was a facetious take on what he says to dealer - moreover /glass half full
if no deposit ? - I've seen another 320i so I considering that one there at yours-3K with part/x on my existing car - can we negotiate

Soldato
I know. I understand that they have margins etc, I just don't appreciate that the consumer gets shafted for doing their own thing.
Nobody is getting shafted, that's the point I was trying to make. The dealer isn't making 30% because they take a trade in at £10k and retail it for £13k because that £3k 'profit' is minus rent, rates, salaries, preparation costs, cost of sale etc. So lets say they make for arguments sake 10% after all that is considered. I can make a 5% yield just by shoving £10k in an account and sitting on my bum. Zero effort, zero risk.

The consumer who gets "shafted" is the poor sod who spends £20k on a private sale to save a couple of grand who's engine goes pop on the drive home only to be told "Caveat emptor" by the person who just sold it. Its a small risk but a risk none the less.

Companies are designed to run at a profit. Those that don't go bust. That is just economics and is what keeps people in their mortgaged homes and financed motors. The eutopia where you buy a car 'worth' £25k from a dealer that has been prepared for sale and sold with the full protection of the consumer rights act is then still "worth" £25k when sold by Joe Bloggs off his drive way just doesn't stack up.

In fact, there is a way to avoid the issue. Buy private yourself. That way you avoid dealer markup on the purchase so the 'value' will be like for like.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Before cancelling you certainly could try the old "My car has been up for sale for the last few months with not much interest.
"i've taken good care of the car bruv, trust me..." And this is why no one takes any notice what an ad says...lol
If i were to buy a car privately, it would have to be appreciably cheaper than AUC to offset the increased risk i would be shouldering

The consumer who gets "shafted" is the poor sod who spends £20k on a private sale to save a couple of grand who's engine goes pop on the drive home only to be told "Caveat emptor" by the person who just sold it. Its a small risk but a risk none the less.
Yea but most buyers would feel better and safer if they buy a car from a dealership especially £20k.
this

Soldato
so how much are you looking to spend on 320i touring if you want one as new as your Q2 was >£35K ? that seems to run the risk of being in the high depreciation ownership curve segment,
with the premium tax to pay for many years - or something 3yr/30K in for £25K, where depreciation curve is levelling. (personally not an M-sport(w/o adaptive)/xdrive/mht/18" fan )

Soldato
My personal opinion is that the O/P has made a mess of selling the car on Auto Trader with respect to all the price changes within a short period of time.
Buyers who use the Chrome Add In will see all the price changes and wonder WTF is going on 'ere, it has given the car a bit of a stigma.

I do think people are overestimating the wider audience here and would have thought the kind of people after a 5yr old Q2 would be unlikely to use a Chrome add in. Hell i didn't even know one existed and i'm sure if i told my wife she'd just look at me blankly like she does when i've suggested things like Camel Camel Camel.

Soldato
OP
I do think people are overestimating the wider audience here and would have thought the kind of people after a 5yr old Q2 would be unlikely to use a Chrome add in. Hell i didn't even know one existed and i'm sure if i told my wife she'd just look at me blankly like she does when i've suggested things like Camel Camel Camel.

I thought as much too. Everyone here is a bit too smart.

Man of Honour
This may have been said already (forgive me if it has), but what did BMW offer you for the Q2? At present they seem to work off WBAC value plus maybe £1500, do they have an Audi dealer in group? That can help you get a bit more sometimes. Funnily enough despite being part of the same company (eg Sytner), dealerships aren't usually keen to work together in my experience.

If you are taking out a PCP using their finance, for example, you can usually engineer in some contributions/discounts.

For example, let's say the 3 Series is £21k. Aim for:

£500-1000 off the price of their car.
£1000 extra part exchange allowance.
£1400 deposit contribution (they have £700 across the board at present anyway, so double it).

Obviously this is speculative and not all dealers would agree to it, but I've seen them structure deals this way several times. It's very much in their interest for you to go with BMWFS.

Soldato
Stuck mine up yesterday. Reasonable price for age, condition and mileage. Had plenty of messages from traders asking if I’d take 3.5k less than asking.

Not sure what to make of it all these days.

Man of Honour
If I get the maximum I could consider possible for it, after reading everything on here, I would put myself in a financial position that I'm uncomfortable with to buy the new car. I decided it was better just to let it go.
just leave it up at the current price then. whilst it's extremely unlikely you will get your asking price, it's not a zero chance :)

Back
Top Bottom