Road Cycling

fez

fez

Caporegime
Does anyone else think the MIPS thing is a bit of a con? I believe it's about the helmet having some movement when you crash... how tight do they think people have their helmets on!?

Are you suggesting that most people don't have their helmets on tight enough for them not to rotate/move even if they don't have MIPS?

I have the "inner" on my mips reasonably tight and the chinstrap comfortably tight but yeah, who knows. You can get MIPS helmets pretty cheap anyway so its not a biggie.

Soldato
Are you suggesting that most people don't have their helmets on tight enough for them not to rotate/move even if they don't have MIPS?
If I'm reading this right, then yes. I feel you would need it on pretty damn tight for it not to move if t suffered a blow. I don't think I ride with anyone that if I pushed under and edge of there helmet, the helmet wouldn't move a CM or so before their head did.

Soldato
@Martynt74 How is your 3D saddle going? Mine has just arrived took a week it looks ok i didnt realise the default clamp on a Trek was a 7x7mm clamp thankfully the local bike shop has them in stock so will be picking up one tomorrow.

So far ok. I’ve not been riding much recently though so maybe only 4 x 15 mile rides so far.

It’s been weird. Since moving out here I seem to struggle to find time for anything. I’ve no idea why!

Soldato
@Martynt74 How is your 3D saddle going? Mine has just arrived took a week it looks ok i didnt realise the default clamp on a Trek was a 7x7mm clamp thankfully the local bike shop has them in stock so will be picking up one tomorrow.

Another AliExpress Ryet one? I’ve done a few hundred miles on mine on the turbo and I’m really impressed. I am actually tempted to order another in a different shape to see how I get on and maybe put this one on my partners bike

For ~£50 they’re really good

Associate
Another AliExpress Ryet one? I’ve done a few hundred miles on mine on the turbo and I’m really impressed. I am actually tempted to order another in a different shape to see how I get on and maybe put this one on my partners bike

For ~£50 they’re really good
Yeah I used the same link that was posted and paid just £45 all in.

Soldato
It’s decent. I’ve not really got any frame of reference for how it compares to a carbon saddle let alone the fancy 3D printed ones but compared to me Selle Italia boost (super flow slr, I think) it feels more comfortable

fez

fez

Caporegime
I do think I need to grab some carbon paste though as it has shifted a little bit. It didn’t come with torque settings but I went to just under 6 and it seems ok

I think you torque them down a little more than that. Carbon is very strong in the right directions, it just doesn't like to be stressed in the wrong ways. Seatpost rails are designed to be clamped. I had a very annoying creak that ended up being my saddle and I think when I looked into it I should have been torquing to about 10-11nm. Its probably worse for the rails to be undertight than overtight as long as you aren't going too far towards overtight. I slightly damaged the rails by riding them with the clamp too loose because the saddle was rocking back and forth on the clamp slightly rather than distributing the force evenly along the length.

Soldato
Any good helmet recommendations? I have the cheapest that was available at Halfords during lockdown so looking to upgrade. It looks like MIPs is quite common, though see lots of Kask helmets aswell. Is there any real difference or is it just choose a style and price point? Also, which colour makes me faster?
Got numerous and tbh as long as it fits your head and you like the look of it, wouldn't worry too much.

Got a Giro with MIPS, comfy but when it's hot it's not the best for air circulation.

Kask Protone, great ventilation and my go to helmet, light and comfortable. Leather strap on chin is a nice change. Doesn't grab your stubble.

Abus gamechanger, got this for racing. Fantastic helmet really comfortable considering the lack of padding, but aero so not great when it's hot.

Specialized s works evade, use this in winter to keep my head warm, definitely not my favourite and the pads fall apart far too easily.

Associate
Any good helmet recommendations? I have the cheapest that was available at Halfords during lockdown so looking to upgrade. It looks like MIPs is quite common, though see lots of Kask helmets aswell. Is there any real difference or is it just choose a style and price point? Also, which colour makes me faster?
I have a lazer z1 found it great in summer has lots of ventilation and you can also get a plastic aeroshell that fits over the top to make it more aero

Soldato
Over the last couple of years, I've probably moaned a fair bit about the creaking on my Canyon and was a factor in just buying a new bike last year. Well, this week I decided it was the spokes and just replaced the wheels.

Yl9Zmu3.jpeg

TCV3uCb.jpeg

They were half-price on Sigma, down to £200, so they're not super light or anything, but in some ways I just wanted some spare wheels and, lower profile for the windy days, so these seemed to fit the bill for now. I might splash out on some decent light, low profile, assuming I can swap them between 11-speed Shimano and 12-speed Shimano?

Caporegime
I'm tasked with fixing one of my sons bikes.

He fell off and somehow smashed his rear derailleur up some months ago.
JlGhjgF.jpeg

It's just some Sora crap I picked up a new chain and Derailleur from helllfords and ordered a new hanger from ebay.

I've never done more than index gears , and adjust limit screws. on my own bikes.

Can I align it properly by eye? since it's a brand new hanger, I don't need one of those hanger alignment tools for straightening it?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom