Working for free today?

Soldato
I am working but we're getting an extra day off this year, same as 4 years ago :)

Must really annoy folk that they have to work an extra day for free on the months with 31 days :rolleyes:

Not the same though is it? This is extra day compared to most years. Though I agree that in grand schemes of things it never bothered me but it's nice that my current employer thinks about stuff like this and give us extra day holiday.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
I am working but we're getting an extra day off this year, same as 4 years ago :)

Not the same though is it? This is extra day compared to most years. Though I agree that in grand schemes of things it never bothered me but it's nice that my current employer thinks about stuff like this and give us extra day holiday.

It's all relative and down to perspective.

From the employer's perspective, salaried people get 3 free days in February every year. It's just this year they're only giving you 2 free days.

Soldato
Those who are in salaried jobs - you get 1/12 of your pay regardless of the length of the month.

Ideally they should pay you 29/366 this month and 31/366 in March.

So if your salary after deductions is £25k - you get paid £2,083 per month. Using the above examples - Feb's pay should be £1980 and March's £2117

Soldato
Those who are in salaried jobs - you get 1/12 of your pay regardless of the length of the month.

So if your salary after deductions is £25k - you get paid £2,083 per month. Using the above examples - Feb's pay should be £1980 and March's £2117
Was about to post something similar. Most months being 30/31 so in Feb (regardless of 28/29 days) you're still getting paid more per day than the next or previous month.

A lot of salaried workers are "expected to get the job done" without paid overtime too. Most hourly rate jobs are low/minimum wage type jobs so salaried workers are typically much better off once you work out the hourly rate even when unpaid overtime is taken in to consideration.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been sick all week. The first 3 days were annual leave as well which is extra ****, but at least I'm not working the leap day I guess.
I wish I was joking when I say I've essentially been unwell since the beginning of the year. It's getting to the point of like, taking days on rather than taking days off. Kind of a disaster.

Associate
Hi

Anyone actually getting paid to work today?

I’m salaried so like the other millions of people in world, I’m contracted to work a certain number of hours on certain days for every week of the month.. with this month having one extra day it means that I’m working that extra today for free.

In the past, a company that I worked for did adjust the salary for the extra day.. and if I was paid per hour or per day, it would mean that I would be getting paid extra for the day/hours.

Enjoy your day of giving free labour.. :)
No I’m a contractor and charge by the hour. I do remember this annoying me more than it should when I was permie, along with being paid monthly (I want my money in my bank earning interest asap, even if it’s only like 1p - purely on principle ).

Man of Honour

Yes, I've mused on this in the past when it comes to optimising things like when it's best to time a resignation. The absolute worst months to be working are those with 31 days, only 4 weekends and no public holidays. Take July this year for example, what an absolute ******* of a month. 23 working days and you get paid the same as a month with only 18 working days like December (and let's be honest 24th December is an unofficial half day in some places, and I doubt many will bust a gut on Friday 27th).

Soldato
I'm not at work and getting paid for my full day. I've had to take several PDO this week (Paid Day Off) because I've earned too many to carry over into the next year. We can earn PDOs for different things, usually working bank hols etc but we can only carry 5 into the following year (April-March) and I had 11 in my pot so I've taken them as 8 straight days off. PDOs are in addtion to my company 6 weeks hols per year too.

Soldato
There are two more weekdays in 2024 compared to last year.

The good news is you have the opportunity to elect which additional day you would like to commit to volunteering without compensation.

Back
Top Bottom