When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
What made you switch back to ICE and now back to EV again? Just curious what prompted the change back and forth!

I’m still mulling over whether to go EV or ICE for my next car?
Mostly a case of being fickle :p I had an EV on lease but started to dislike having the lease with no asset at the end, so decided to buy something. At the time, the second hand prices on ICE were more favourable and I also decided I'd rather not deal with charging on long journeys (as someone mentioned above :p ). Approx 2 months later the arse fell out of the second-hand EV market!

I've missed having an EV. They're much smoother and quieter; in general I prefer the drive of an EV; being able to pre-heat is a luxury I've definitely missed; no local emissions; I do a lot of short journeys which are torturous on an engine but not an electric motor etc etc.

Soldato
There are 2 ev company cars at work both of the drivers would want to switch back, almost everyone I encounter through work with a ev would sway back.
The uptake on evs is driven by the favorable tax position.

Sorry when I said hydrogen I meant fuel cell.

I have been in several evs a the power delivery and driveability cannot be faulted.

The infrastructure is still a massive distance from being suitable, and this make charging anxiety even worse.

Ah, the old anecdotal evidence based on a very limited data set. I have had two EVs through work schemes and my next car will be a used EV and not through work. A colleague is adamant he will never buy ICE again.

Does my anecdotal evidence nullify yours?

In my almost 4 years of EV ownership I have had no issues with range anxiety because it is actually a mental state rather than a physical thing. I got over that anxiety very quickly when I realised public charging as not as bad as it is made out.

I did a few road trips of 500ish miles using nothing but public destination chargers and even a granny lead overnight at a hotel “charger”. One of those trips was using an E-Tron 50 with 170 miles of range. I’d plug the car in if a charger was available (sometimes they weren’t), do the tourist thing for a few hours and home back to an extra 50 - 80 miles of range added.

Last edited:
Associate
Ah, the old anecdotal evidence based on a very limited data set. I have had two EVs through work schemes and my next car will be a used EV and not through work. A colleague is adamant he will never buy ICE again.

Does my anecdotal evidence nullify yours?
I did say that everyone I encounter through work too. I had to get my car MOT on Monday and in the dealers there was a woman picking up a new car, I over heard I'm so glad to get rid of the ev.

Soldato
I did say that everyone I encounter through work too. I had to get my car MOT on Monday and in the dealers there was a woman picking up a new car, I over heard I'm so glad to get rid of the ev.

Oh well that’s it, no need to look further. Chabsy has provided definitive proof that EVs suck. :rolleyes:

You made a statement as if it was factual (edit: apologies you did state opinion) and have presented nothing but anecdotes I countered with other anecdotes and you fail to see the point that anecdotes crap means nothing unless backed by facts.

This is specific to EV owners going back to ICE after owning an EV of course.

Last edited:
Associate
Oh well that’s it, no need to look further. Chabsy has provided definitive proof that EVs suck. :rolleyes:

You made a statement as if it was factual and have presented nothing but anecdotal crap. I countered with other anecdotal crap and you fail to see the point that anecdotal crap means nothing.
It is my experience nothing else. I did not say it was anything other than that.

Soldato
You made multiple statements of opinion that were based on very flawed anecdotal evidence.

The majority of EV owners will not consider going back to ICE. You have been shown multiple surveys that help prove this beyond “anecdotes”

You stated you believe EVs are a blind alley, this is not backed up by facts as while demand ebbs and flows the trend is increasing numbers of EVs.

You stated hydrogen power was the future. Again facts show the opposite as the number of hydrogen filling stations are dropping dramatically.

Last edited:
Soldato
New BEV registrations in UK is +21% YoY

Overall BEV market share in Uk is down against ICE

But non-private registrations is now 65% of the total registration.

Difficult to draw conclusion from these numbers but maybe lease companies are buying ICE cos they got good deals? Or you could argue lease companies are snapping up all the EVs.

Lastly I think there are autotrader data that backs up sales of used EV is generally on the upwards trend. December had a blip but everything is up and up. Demand as well as sales.

It is really selective EV hate YT outlets and some media trying to discredit EVs that’s pushing out these nonsensical stuff.

Soldato
New BEV registrations in UK is +21% YoY

Overall BEV market share in Uk is down against ICE

But non-private registrations is now 65% of the total registration.

Difficult to draw conclusion from these numbers but maybe lease companies are buying ICE cos they got good deals? Or you could argue lease companies are snapping up all the EVs.

Lastly I think there are autotrader data that backs up sales of used EV is generally on the upwards trend. December had a blip but everything is up and up. Demand as well as sales.

It is really selective EV hate YT outlets and some media trying to discredit EVs that’s pushing out these nonsensical stuff.

Exactly, the kind of person that relies on anecdotes and soundbites instead of doing actual research to form an opinion, lap this crap up.

OMG EV sales are down dramatically... checks data and it slowed rather than dropped. The trend is still up YoY

Worldwide

UK

Soldato
Changes the dynamic quite a bit then. IMO company car drivers were the worst people to push EVs onto.

Very few of the benefits of having an EV would apply to them.
yes and no........ I dont disagree with you, however getting company car drivers in EVs does cut a lot of fuel use a there are a lot of them and they tend to do a lot of miles. It also really kickstarts the 2nd hand market once they all hit 3 years old and are replaced.

I think we are seeing some of that at the moment.

on the flip side, all the tax breaks which are given to them to get them to do it does seem a little unfair to the unwashed masses who dont get those opportunities.
Perhaps it is envy on my part but the deals some of my mates are getting are just insane. they pay less per month for a brand new car, with all repairs, insurance and servicing than most of us pay for a 2nd hand car and having to pay for all the upkeep as well. Yes we get to keep the car at the end, but if the leases some are getting cost less than the car depreciation then does that really matter?.

I guess the moral of the story is that i should have gone into finance or sales rather than Science research (or at the very least i need to go and work for GSK!)

Last edited:
Soldato
sorry - its got a plug.
lol true.... but a self charging hyrid has a fuel tank which you need to fill. If you dont fill that, once it runs dry it cant self charge.

there are self charging cars which exist, and if toyota wants to sell them then massive respect to them.

Not sure where i would put my shopping however. (not being serious btw)

Last edited:
Soldato
just on the charging point, over 400 rapid chargers were installed in January - that’s some incredible pace compared to previous years.

Just looking at the Tesla network, they have filled some holes over the last few months and will fill a few more in the coming weeks thanks to new deals with Welcome Break covering its 4 overloaded ‘legacy’ V2 sites.

For example, the A14 has gone from having 0 sites to 3 at Kettering, Newmarket and Ipswich covering the entire length of the road in the last 3 months.

South Mimms is getting another 24 chargers to add to the existing 12 V2, to open shortly. Gretna Green has had its 4 existing V2’s removed to be replaced with 16 V3’s, opening any day now. Hopwood is also getting a large V3 expansion expansion to add to its V2’s, again opening any day.

Stansted has got another 20 V3 to add to the existing 4 V2’s which opened the other day.

Last edited:
Soldato
just on the charging point, over 400 rapid chargers were installed in January - that’s some incredible pace compared to previous years.

Just looking at the Tesla network, they have filled some holes over the last few months and will fill a few more in the coming weeks thanks to new deals with Welcome Break covering its 4 overloaded ‘legacy’ V2 sites.

For example, the A14 has gone from having 0 sites to 3 at Kettering, Newmarket and Ipswich covering the entire length of the road in the last 3 months.

South Mimms is getting another 24 chargers to add to the existing 12 V2, to open shortly. Gretna Green has had its 4 existing V2’s removed to be replaced with 16 V3’s, opening any day now. Hopwood is also getting a large V3 expansion expansion to add to its V2’s, again opening any day.

Stansted has got another 20 V3 to add to the existing 4 V2’s which opened the other day.

unless they are V4s and open to everyone however they are not really useful to all of us. Yes i know there are a handful of sites where i can technically charge on V3s as well.............. but i am not sure i can be bothered with the stink eye from (some not all) tesla owners when i take up 2 bays to charge my car (despite that being officially what you are meant to do)

in principle you are correct, we are getting more and more public charge points and that is good....... however damn they are expensive once you look at non tesla - fine for me, not fine for those who need to use them much of the time.

Last edited:
Soldato
unless they are V4s and open to everyone however they are not really useful to all of us. Yes i know there are a handful of sites where i can technically charge on V3s as well.............. but i am not sure i can be bothered with the stink eye from (some not all) tesla owners when i take up 2 bays to charge my car (despite that being officially what you are meant to do)
I find it hard to believe that's what you're meant to do - surely you taking up two bays but only using one charger means the other charger is reported as available when it really isn't?

Soldato
I find it hard to believe that's what you're meant to do - surely you taking up two bays but only using one charger means the other charger is reported as available when it really isn't?
you are correct but yes it is what you are meant to do, i will dig out the bumf if i can find it.

it is contradictory however that is for sure

"Certain Supercharger site layouts may not be suitable for some cars. Please do not obstruct other cars by parking over the lines if the cable cannot comfortably reach your car."

however there is nothing to say you cant park in an adjacent spot and charge which still takes 1 charge point out of action and indeed in a tesla promotional image which i cant find now - i will carry on looking and add in if i can, it is literally what they show happening.

edit

from another tesla faq

in some cases you might have to park over the line in order to charge comfortably. Avoid parking diagonally to reach the cable and try to obstruct as few charge posts as possible. Charge port locations vary by EV model, which requires cable sharing between adjacent stalls at many sites. Tesla is rapidly deploying our latest V4 Supercharger post which reaches all EVs in the same Supercharger stall. Additionally, we encourage all vehicle manufacturers to standardize charge port locations to the rear driver side or front passenger side.

deleted image as was massive added link instead

Last edited:
Soldato

The A14 chargers are all V4 and open should be to all or will be shortly (37ish sites now).

The expansions at existing welcome break sites are at existing exclusive sites and they are installing V3 so they’ll not be open to the great unwashed :p

The governments new charge point regulations would prevent them from ever being opened due to no contactless payment.

in principle you are correct, we are getting more and more public charge points and that is good....... however damn they are expensive once you look at non tesla - fine for me, not fine for those who need to use them much of the time.

No dissent from me on that one, they need to recoup all the money from paying the DNOs for the power connections which currently cost £lol due to the way the costs are structured.

Last edited:
Associate
lol true.... but a self charging hyrid has a fuel tank which you need to fill. If you dont fill that, once it runs dry it cant self charge.

there are self charging cars which exist, and if toyota wants to sell them then massive respect to them.

Not sure where i would put my shopping however. (not being serious btw)

That article you linked to is a good option in very sunny but electricity sparse countries. Not so good for us though, unless they developed high efficiency small solar panels.

Back
Top Bottom