Car theft - is it out of control?

Soldato
This expose ended up in my YouTube feed for some reason and ('clicky' title aside), it was quite an interesting watch.

Part 1
Part 2

The TLDW is that as we all know deep down, car security is an absolute pile of excrement and almost any car on the market can now be stolen without the keys within seconds. Some criminals are now providing a key ordering service where you just need the cars VIN number and they will post you a key - yes, all they need is the the publicly available VIN from the sticker in your windscreen.

Are we all pretty much screwed at this point?

PS - I'm not wanting to turn this into a JLR bashing session despite the first video targeting that brand in particular, its pretty clear from the follow up video that most cars and vans on the roads are vulnerable to very similar attacks.

Last edited:
Associate
I couldn't say for all JLR products but for Range Rover and Range Rover Sport since the introduction of those models built on the latest architecture, from January 2022 there has been a theft rate of 0.08% and 0.1% respectively so I think there is certainly still a hangover in the media and public opinion about those cars based on the previous generations weakness to theft.

Certainly car theft is a large problem overall however and whilst there seems to be little crackdown it will continue.

Soldato
Yes and there is a poor attitude from manufacturers to resolve design flaws to protect against CAN injection. I know my car has a easily accessible connection which means they can drive the car away in a couple of minutes. This results in insurance getting very expensive.

Soldato
aren't ev's comparatively invulnerable for the time being, with telematics(e:into cloud)+extensive electronics/sw in drive system, so lots of opportunities for tracking&remote disabling (or with tin hat chinese snooping)...
thieves must be working on illicit software upgrades though that would open a backdoor.
.... so at least the theft component of ev insurance premium must be low.

ghost I'd be more concerned invalidating warranty

Last edited:
Soldato
Fitting a ghost immobiliser is a very dangerous idea, as thieves will then break into your house and attack you/take you hostage for the secret combination along with taking the key - which has happened many times for people.
Very stupid to recommend this!

Is this sarcasm? Don't secure your property because people might break in?

The cowardice is frightening in itself.

Man of Honour
I just watched the second video this evening, while it's slightly oversimplified, it is a worrying state of affairs.

Interestingly, I hadn't really thought about the fact that manufacturers don't really care - ultimately they end up selling more cars because of it, and we all pay for it via insurance costs. This has backfired on JLR though, insurance is now incredibly expensive or even impossible to get for many people.

I think having a deterrent is ok for security, but you don't want to make it too difficult. There's nothing 'manly' about being killed for a box of metal on the driveway. I heard of an incident in Manchester where a guy was awoken by several armed thugs in his bedroom, threatening to do awful things to his children if he didn't give them the Ghost immobiliser code. No thanks.

Soldato
OP
aren't ev's comparatively invulnerable for the time being,

No. I’ve got no idea what the rest of your post was meant to say. A modern car is a modern car no matter the drivetrain.

As shown in the post above, these people will kill you for your car. Is a car worth your life?

Exactly. Lots of Tesla owners strongly recommend turning on ‘Pin to Drive’ to help prevent theft (not that there is a theft issue with Tesla) but I’m very much the opposite while insurance covers the car.

If my car has been targeted to be stolen to order, the last thing I’d want is someone from a organised crime gang to need to ask me for my PIN code. Let’s face it, they are not going to go about their request politely.

Permabanned
Is this sarcasm? Don't secure your property because people might break in?

The cowardice is frightening in itself.
Have you not seen the videos of people breaking into peoples houses taking their families hostage when they fail to break into the car by the aforementioned methods.

Do you really want 4-5 people ballied up coming into your house putting a knife to your kids throat and giving them PTSD for life because you have a car that's easily stolen, that you've now thought you're clever and had a combo fitted to start it...
Think again.

These people don't give a ****. They're never caught and always masked up/gloves/throwaway clothes, and the police have nothing to go by to catch them. Then it's exported and gone anyway.

I've seen people do this on CCTV to massive high gated/fenced houses in the nicest of areas, they do not give a ****. They're professionals, the same goes for the ones that'll jump you in a group of 5 with a knife in broad daylight in a supermarket car park when you come back with your kids.

You're not going to take on a car or 2 full of professionals not scared to batter/stab you, and then manage to hold them all down and wait an hour for the police...
As shown in the post above, these people will kill you for your car. Is a car worth your life?
Yep.

If my car has been targeted to be stolen to order, the last thing I’d want is someone from a organised crime gang to need to ask me for my PIN code. Let’s face it, they are not going to go about their request politely.
Exactly. They're professionals!

There's nothing 'manly' about being killed for a box of metal on the driveway. I heard of an incident in Manchester where a guy was awoken by several armed thugs in his bedroom, threatening to do awful things to his children if he didn't give them the Ghost immobiliser code. No thanks.
Yep!

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you not seen the videos of people breaking into peoples houses taking their families hostage when they fail to break into the car by the aforementioned methods.

Do you really want 4-5 people ballied up coming into your house putting a knife to your kids throat and giving them PTSD for life because you have a car that's easily stolen, that you've now thought you're clever and had a combo fitted to start it...
Think again.

These people don't give a ****. They're never caught and always masked up/gloves/throwaway clothes, and the police have nothing to go by to catch them. Then it's exported and gone anyway.

I've seen people do this on CCTV to massive high gated/fenced houses in the nicest of areas, they do not give a ****. They're professionals, the same goes for the ones that'll jump you in a group of 5 with a knife in broad daylight in a supermarket car park when you come back with your kids.

You're not going to take on a car or 2 full of professionals not scared to batter/stab you, and then manage to hold them all down and wait an hour for the police...

Yep, he obviously thinks he's hard and can take on people waking him and his family up in the dead of night professionally in his boxers with a knife put to his wife/kids throats, ruining them for life, or being jumped by a car full of people who don't give a **** who're armed doing the same thing in broad daylight till he gives up the ghost combo in a car park... Expecting Superman or the police to jump out of the bushes and save him or the general public.

Exactly. They're professionals!

Yep!

Professionals? They are criminals.

Get a grip... just because there are a few people doing bat **** crazy things doesn't mean I won't secure my property. Grow some balls.

Obviously a car isn't worth your life, but to suggest you should take measures to secure your property is bonkers.

"CCTV to massive high gated/fenced houses in the nicest of areas" <<-- I am gonna suggest this to you... the fact they have 'massive high gated fenced houses, probably means they weren't in 'the nicest areas'.

----

p.s. When I was in Birmingham, we had gang members with guns threaten us and break into our house looking for one of the guys that lived with us. We also watched someone get hammered to nearly death in the street from the drug dealer across the street. I guess I've differently than you in my experiences.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man of Honour
They are professionals in the context that some of these gangs are very organised, have what they are doing "down to a T" and know exactly how far they will push it, etc. basically a step ahead of you (the general public) in terms of being prepared when it comes to these situations.

It is fairly rare for them to involve violence, but not unheard of - if it is something particularly rare/desirable and/or you look like easy pickings i.e. sloppy about locking doors, etc. some will do home invasions. You do need to think carefully as to the approach you take but personally I err on the side of making things more secure - making it harder from the very start would have nipped much more of this in the bud, the car industry has a lot to answer for IMO.

Quite commonly they will have someone running interference to avoid confrontation with the owner - often you'll see one of them holding the front door or in other ways preventing the front door from being used, etc.

Permabanned
Professionals? They are criminals.

Get a grip... just because there are a few people doing bat **** crazy things doesn't mean I won't secure my property. Grow some balls.

Obviously a car isn't worth your life, but to suggest you should take measures to secure your property is bonkers.

"CCTV to massive high gated/fenced houses in the nicest of areas" <<-- I am gonna suggest this to you... the fact they have 'massive high gated fenced houses, probably means they weren't in 'the nicest areas'.

----

p.s. When I was in Birmingham, we had gang members with guns threaten us and break into our house looking for one of the guys that lived with us. We also watched someone get hammered to nearly death in the street from the drug dealer across the street. I guess I've differently than you in my experiences.
You've never heard of a professional criminal? Anyone can be a master at their trade, their trade is car theft/crime.

Yes suggesting to secure a car beyond the standard security to the point IS bonkers.

Nope it's just snobby posh areas, no rough areas. All these massive houses/land in that area are like that, they like their privacy and that style of wall/gated driveway entrance with a long driveway leading up to the house/manor. Which is the perfect place to attack someone, as they never see it coming because it isn't Birmingham or rough areas, nor is the crime rate high in general, thus scares the **** out of people like that when attacked, as they're not living near/around scum/crime.

So you're well aware of what people are capable of, yet think a car that's covered under insurance is worth winding up these scumbags even further by putting a ghost combo on it, versus letting them take it and your family safe! Madness.

I'm sure your kids/wife would thank you for that when they wake up with a knife to their throat and have PTSD for life/therapy...
All for what is probably a financed Chelsea tractor that you don't need.

So you still think after being awoken with 5+ guys in the room with a gun/knife to your kids/wife, that you can magically win whilst in your boxers... Come on man? You WONT win. Let alone twice. Nor when jumped surrounded in a car park by a group of them whilst they again threaten your kids/wife... All because you thought you'd be a clever and fit a silly hidden start ghost immobiliser start combination...

They are professionals in the context that some of these gangs are very organised, have what they are doing "down to a T" and know exactly how far they will push it, etc. basically a step ahead of you (the general public) in terms of being prepared when it comes to these situations.

It is fairly rare for them to involve violence, but not unheard of - if it is something particularly rare/desirable and/or you look like easy pickings i.e. sloppy about locking doors, etc. some will do home invasions. You do need to think carefully as to the approach you take but personally I err on the side of making things more secure - making it harder from the very start would have nipped much more of this in the bud, the car industry has a lot to answer for IMO.

Quite commonly they will have someone running interference to avoid confrontation with the owner - often you'll see one of them holding the front door or in other ways preventing the front door from being used, etc.

All depends on where it is mate, if it's a quiet rich area, like I've mentioned, scaring them/slapping them about will make for an easy win for them, as people that live in a quiet/low crime/non scummy area, simply do not expect that, so if they refuse to comply when catching someone in the act/disturbed, then even the slightest bit of violence/threats will easy make them cave.

But yes violence is usually only used when they have to enter the house to grab the key/combination due to some idiot programming a ghost combo, which is very common for high value stuff, because it IS simply worth the risk to them, plus with a gang of them, your average joe isn't going to magically fight off 5 people who wake him up ballied up with knives...
Usually they'll scope it out first though and either come back whiling to go the extra step after trying to open it whilst you're shopping and failing to start it for example, but have followed you home to see where the car resides, then plan to take further action depending on the value of what you drive...

Last edited:
Soldato
The whole country is out of control. I’ve added more security to our house in an attempt to at least secure things a bit more. Ultimately no one gives a toss about anything in society anymore.

Yup good ole lawless Britain. Policing in this country is a massive contributor. Thieves know police dont turn up, most of the time don't bother to investigate and even by some miracle they do and prosecutions do happen said thieves just get a slap on the wrist.

Same with shop lifting

Permabanned
Yup good ole lawless Britain. Policing in this country is a massive contributor. Thieves know police dont turn up, most of the time don't bother to investigate and even by some miracle they do and prosecutions do happen said thieves just get a slap on the wrist.

Same with shop lifting
Yep, and how are you going to realistically track down people not showing their face on average, you're not.

Yeah, doesn't shop lifting have some stupid value limit now, where if it's not X amount they don't prosecute/bother?

Soldato
Yep, and how are you going to realistically track down people not showing their face on average, you're not.

Yeah, doesn't shop lifting have some stupid value limit now, where if it's not X amount they don't prosecute/bother?

Yup generally don't bother to prosecute anything less than £200. It's alright though they hand out a £70 penalty notice.

No deterrent for certain crimes in this country

Back
Top Bottom