Poll: Official 2024 Australian Grand Prix Race Thread - Albert Park, Melbourne - Race 3/24

Rate the Aussie race out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I guess any other time that is a red flag with a car on its side in the middle of the track. Not even sure what the procedure would have been? restart for 1 lap? end and George counts as a finisher?

Well done to Sainz, dropped and injured - made of stern stuff

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Well, it was certainly worth Williams taking Logan Sargeant's car from him to let Alex Albon get...*checks notes*...no points. He'd better hope the stewards demote/DQ Alonso (which seems vanishingly unlikely).

Associate
Max should retire more often.
It's not like there was much more action than any other race except P2 is now P1. Don't get me wrong, it's great to see someone like Carlos getting a win, but P1 has very rarely been competitive for a number of years.

Very much a Ferrari move to drop their, now, best performing driver, and then overpay on what is arguably a gamble.

Associate
Well, it was certainly worth Williams taking Logan Sargeant's car from him to let Alex Albon get...*checks notes*...no points. He'd better hope the stewards demote/DQ Alonso (which seems vanishingly unlikely).
Apart from Max nobody gets away with stuff more than Alonso

Soldato
How the hell have Mercedes got worse and worse! They clearly haven't got a competitive car and Hamilton just looks like he's not interested. Latte boy just crashes out!

Nice to see a Ferrari winning instead of Max, made my morning.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well done Sainz and Ferrari. Pérez showing that he's just not good enough, and can't deliver the result when Max hits issues. McLaren lacking just a yard of pace.

Strange incident with Alonso at the end. Well done Haas. Saubers Pitstops are a joke. Williams threw Logan under the bus for a predictable nothing.

Nice to have a different result but fairly ordinary race 6/10 for me.

Soldato
I don't think they're wrong to keep Charles. But they probably shouldn't be dropping Carlos for Lewis. They have a driver pairing that works, why mess with it?
Because up to this point neither has won anything whereas Hamilton is an 8 time world champion with all of the pedigree and aura (can’t think of the right word) that comes with that. No denying they’re all great racers, can’t say I totally agree with kicking out a perfectly talented individual like Sainz.. but still.

I just caught the beginning from the 9.25am rerun. Am I allowed to vote 10 just from the first three laps? ;)

I didn’t realise Sainz did the pass on MV too, nice one for that.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Toto should sign Carlos for 2025.

Merc isn't signing anyone for a long term slot. They have Antonelli to keep a seat warm for. Sainz, meanwhile, doesn't want to be either a seatwarmer or the second driver in the team - going to Merc is merely swapping Leclerc for Russell. I think he'd like Aston, but will end up at Sauber/Audi crossing his fingers like a madman. Red Bull is an outside possibility.

Associate
I’ve watched the Russell crash back quite a few times now, large amount of damage for a crash that was almost in slow mo after the initial damage. Stinger for Merc when they’re having a tough time in general.

An odd race weekend in many ways, starting all the way back when Albon wrote off a chassis and Williams having to make a call etc.

Last edited:
Associate
Merc isn't signing anyone for a long term slot. They have Antonelli to keep a seat warm for. Sainz, meanwhile, doesn't want to be either a seatwarmer or the second driver in the team - going to Merc is merely swapping Leclerc for Russell. I think he'd like Aston, but will end up at Sauber/Audi crossing his fingers like a madman. Red Bull is an outside possibility.

The latter option of Sainz to RBR would be interesting. Feels unlikely but as a driver from their youth program, it’s only fair to say he’s earned a shot. With that being said, nobody knows where RBR will be once they bring in their own power unit. Beginning of the hybrid era wasn’t a smooth start for them and designing your own engine is a big leap, even with the team they’ve assembled from Merc etc.

Will be interesting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom