'Muhammad' teddy teacher arrested

Associate
Atleast our bible doesnt condemn everyone to death for the slightest things
Like the death penalty for working on the sabbeth, insulting your parents or making love to your same-sex partner?

Yeah, real enlightened.

No, the difference between a civilised country like Britain and an uncivilised one like the Sudan* is that we don't prescribe such harsh penalties for "crimes" which hurt no-one.

15 days in prison for letting a child in your class name a toy (saying nothing of the fact that the child and most of the class were Muslim, and that the child named it after himself) is ludicrous. The calls for corporal or capital punishment are an offence to both civilisation and basic human rights.

*And yes, I'm calling Sudan uncivilised. They judge us by their standards, the least I can do is judge them by ours.

Caporegime
Like the death penalty for working on the sabbeth, insulting your parents or making love to your same-sex partner?

Yeah, real enlightened.

No, the difference between a civilised country like Britain and an uncivilised one like the Sudan* is that we don't prescribe such harsh penalties for "crimes" which hurt no-one.

15 days in prison for letting a child in your class name a toy (saying nothing of the fact that the child and most of the class were Muslim, and that the child named it after himself) is ludicrous. The calls for corporal or capital punishment are an offence to both civilisation and basic human rights.

*And yes, I'm calling Sudan uncivilised. They judge us by their standards, the least I can do is judge them by ours.

If your a Christian those laws/sin/punishments where paied for us by Jesus so now you don't get the whole murder the gays and people who work on Sundays in it.

Permabanned
If your a Christian those laws/sin/punishments where paied for us by Jesus so now you don't get the whole murder the gays and people who work on Sundays in it.

So if we make a time machine, crucify muhammad (pbuh)(dont wanna get put in prison) it will sort all this out. Yay.

Commissario
Jesus what is with people and the whole "well its only a small group not representative of the whole religion" when it happens every time no matter where with hundreds of thousands of them in total getting enraged etc.

It all reminds of those cartoons and the guy telling the newsreader saying that the cartoons miss represent islam as a violent religion, while on the screen behind them a bunch of muslims are storming a Danish embassy with guns, and chanting to murder half of Europe.

possibly because when you're talking about a religion with hundreds of millions of active followers even a hundred thousand or half a million people isn't a particularly big number.

This case is nothing like the cartoons one where it was a widespread outcry across many countries, in this case if you've been watching the news most of the muslim leaders in the uk, and many in other parts of the world are standing up for her (of course it's not as newsworthy or photogenic to have thousands of people staying at home saying "it's no big deal" or "let her go you silly muppets").

P.S.
In case you missed the bit on the news, the protesters in Sudan numbered about a thousand (hardly hundreds of thousands), you get a good percentage of that number of "Christians" turn up whenever the Westboro Baptist Church start protesting at military funerals.

Fop

Fop

Associate
Then you are assuming that the Muslim community's method of expressing their anger/opinion should be the same as ours. They are a different people, with different beliefs and mannerisms (not the word I was looking for but I can't think of the right one).

Yup clearly calling for someone's execution for allowing some children to name a teddy bear Mohammed is just an understandable "cultural difference". :rolleyes:

I suppose being stoned to death for adultery, or executed for converting from Islam (both have happened many times there in recent years) is just a problem understanding their "mannerisms" as well.

Amnesty International and any civilised person would disagree with you, I'm afraid.

Fop

Fop

Associate
This case is nothing like the cartoons one where it was a widespread outcry across many countries, in this case if you've been watching the news most of the muslim leaders in the uk, and many in other parts of the world are standing up for her (of course it's not as newsworthy or photogenic to have thousands of people staying at home saying "it's no big deal" or "let her go you silly muppets").

Actually the cartoons are nothing like the cartoons either.

The demonstrations over the cartoons were the result of a massive and sustained (and largely false - they were showing many things that weren't the cartoons in question) 3-4 month campaign across much of the Islamic world.

It was far from spontaneous; many western election campaigns would have been smaller than what eventually stoked up enough bigotry and hatred to set that particular tinder box off. :(

Associate
....or executed for converting from Islam (both have happened many times there in recent years) is just a problem understanding their "mannerisms" as well.
This just screams intolerance to me. Surely if the Islamic religion is such a tolerant one then anyone who wants to convert to another religion should be left to do so without fear of execution?

Associate
Funny, I don't remember any church, even one as nutty as the Westboro Baptist lot calling for the murder of gays and people who work on Sundays :rolleyes: But don't let me interrupt your cool and trendy Christian-hate outlook on life.

Actually, they'll shout loudly about why they hate them, then claim god invented AIDS to do the killing for them.

Anyway.

My point was, the bible asks for a lot of stuff that civilised nations now refuse to accomodate. The bit that makes us civilised is that we no longer think that stuff written in a book thousands of years ago is automatically worthy of being a law with real punishments.

Fop

Fop

Associate
This just screams intolerance to me. Surely if the Islamic religion is such a tolerant one then anyone who wants to convert to another religion should be left to do so without fear of execution?

Well it's just a good way of stopping erosion of your power base, I guess, although like most Sharia Law (which frankly is largely about keeping and expanding your power base/believers) it is stuck in the 13th century and isn't particularly compatible with human rights or religious freedom, or even democracy. :(

The problem with much Islamic tolerance, is that it is the sort of "tolerance" which basically means "it's ok so long as you do exactly as I want", which of course really is just intolerance trying to look friendly.

Soldato
Yup clearly calling for someone's execution for allowing some children to name a teddy bear Mohammed is just an understandable "cultural difference". :rolleyes:

I suppose being stoned to death for adultery, or executed for converting from Islam (both have happened many times there in recent years) is just a problem understanding their "mannerisms" as well.

Amnesty International and any civilised person would disagree with you, I'm afraid.

Hey I didn't say it was right, my point was that people across the world act differently to us, often doing things we find abhorrent. Having this knowledge in mind I would not be daft enough to go there in the first place.

Soldato
Isn't this what you do all the time though with Iraq?

Sorry for the rushed reply in my previous post.

You cited four instances where attrocities have been committed by Muslim individuals/groups, I in turn showed a number of instances where the "white man" has been busy killing many people in the name of freedom and democracy.

Should I judge all white people on the actions of these few nations - not even individuals or groups. I suppose I could cite examples of crazed animal rights extremists or anti-abortionists as further evidence that there is something fundamentally wrong with the "white man's" mentality.

However I don't link the actions of a select few (whether it is of those in charge of nations or indivual nutters) with the majority as ut is just not rational to do so.

Soldato

Did you miss my post here:

me said:
I firmly believe that Islamic Law is quite progressive, but it is the minds that apply it that are not. Take for example the apostacy law. It is my belief that this law was used at the start of Islam to gaurd against the very real threat of subversion, people coverting to Islam and then reverting in order to cause confusion and dissent i.e. high treason. What's more there is no such ruling in the Qur'an and nor did the Prophet carry out such a punishment in his life - yet this Law is held as being unquestionable by many countries. (Excellent link)

Soldato
Those that keep going on about the intolerance of Islam, I would advise you to read up on the Golden Era of Islam where the Muslim Empire was not only at the forefront of science and education but also religous freedom.

How can something that you believe to be intolerant have had such a period?

Caporegime
Those that keep going on about the intolerance of Islam, I would advise you to read up on the Golden Era of Islam where the Muslim Empire was not only at the forefront of science and education but also religous freedom.

How can something that you believe to be intolerant have had such a period?

What has the golden era of 1500 years ago, a completely different era, got to do with the mind-numbingly stupid and intolerant madness of today? Is that a serious question?

Back
Top Bottom