Firefox is crap with vista...

Soldato
to suggest using ie7 to a firefox user and vice versa is laughable. that is all. :D
Fixed!

Installed FF3 the other day, all i can say is CRAP.

Literally takes more than 4x more ram and 10x longer to load. Some pages just pause for like 15 seconds, THEN decide to slowly download. And visually?... diabolical.

A bloated mess IMO.

Soldato
Fixed!

Literally takes more than 4x more ram and 10x longer to load. Some pages just pause for like 15 seconds, THEN decide to slowly download. And visually?... diabolical.

A bloated mess IMO.

8 million users can't be wrong.

Soldato

A bloated mess IMO.

Then there is something wrong with your install, or just your system in general.

I've used firefox and IE on several machines, ranging from an 800MHz Athlon to a Core2Duo, with various 32 bit and 64 bit Operating Systems.

And there isn't a single case where I've seen either IE or Firefox use anywhere near 4x more RAM than the other, or be 10x slower than the other. And I've certainly never seen either of them 'pause' unexpectedly, apart from on my oldest system, which isn't surprising, as most applications suffer from cpu load on such an outdated system.

From the various combinations I've tested, just in terms of speed and and response, I'd rate them in the following order:

FF3 > IE7 > FF2 > IE6...

But that being said, the differences are marginal. If you're seeing anything worse than about a second to startup, or to load a page, then you've either found a very extreme case (with a specific bug) or you've just got something else wrong with your install imo.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Firefox 3 is working perfectly for me, i like the new buttons at the top, much nicer, and its quicker...for me anyway.

Associate
I still prefure IE7 to firefox. IE7 is more secure and generaly faster at opening pages (especially 64bit version) firefox had its moments with fancy plugins, but ive found I can live without em. Personaly I think 8 million downloads is more for sticking the finger to microsoft rarther then it being any better as a browsing experience :) .

Soldato
I suspect that your problem is vista, not FF as such. :)

Doubtful, given so many other people are using the same combination without problems. It's probably just a bad Firefox installation.

Personaly I think 8 million downloads is more for sticking the finger to microsoft rarther then it being any better as a browsing experience :) .

Hardly. I'm sure some people have that sort of attitude, but the vast majority are going to use and stick to Firefox purely because it's what they prefer. If IE7 was actually better, I'd be using it. Firefox and its add-ons make web browsing a far better experience though.

Man of Honour
Until ie7 has pic lens it's rubbish, let alone any of the other decent add ons.
It also infuriates me, that you have to enable quick launch on ie7, they missed a trick there.

Man of Honour
nah they just haven't installed ff yet ;)

What, like the millions of firefox users who haven't installed opera yet ;)

See, I can make random statements too, it doesn't make them any more meaningful. FF is a reasonably good browser, it's not the second coming that some people seem to want to make it out to be. A quick look at some of the coverage of the FF3 launch proves a serious lack of substance and an awful lot of hyperbole.

Back
Top Bottom